TE Connor Center (Milford) Offered | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

TE Connor Center (Milford) Offered

This isn't meant to be snarky, but maybe he realized that full D1 scholarship offers for guys who didn't play high school football are rare and he'd better grab the opportunity this time around.
Good luck to the kid.

He has visits lined up with other schools
I hope has figured out what he really wants in these visits?An education and opportunity to develop for the NFL? Or, something entirely different .

This isn't meant to be snarky, but maybe he realized that full D1 scholarship offers for guys who didn't play high school football are rare and he'd better grab the opportunity this time around.
Good luck to the kid.

Exactly what I was thinking. And Colorado isn't something to write home about. They've been awful for years.

Exactly what I was thinking. And Colorado isn't something to write home about. They've been awful for years.
But he can smoke weed there and not get in trouble with the law... ;)

still not legal in the ncaa
But if he knows when he gets tested by the school, or the schools doesn't report when kids get tested positive for marijuana, he can basically smoke without any qualms. I also think you missed the facetiousness of his post, as he doesn't actually believe anyone would choose a school based on legally smoking weed, as the illegality of it doesn't really deter anyone anyway, Syracuse student or not

IMHO this is not bad for us at all. I think offering scholarships based 100% on possible potential to kids who have never played a down of football is a step back for the program. Looking at his practice film footage he seemed like a kid who wouldn't be ready to play D1 football for 3-4 years. TE is an area were we seem to have some depth and I don't see a kid who has never played football being physical enough to be an OT. In my time as a head coach I have had three kids come out as seniors who had the size and athleticism to be something special. One kid was a legit 6-5, 330 AND athletic but wasn't able to develop the physicality needed to even be a high school football player.

still not legal in the ncaa
I was only making a joke, but, it's only against the rules if the school has a policy though, no? I thought that was the crux in the whole issue SU was facing because the NCAA was saying that SU had a policy, but didn't enforce it. I could be wrong, but just looking for clarification of my understanding.

IMHO this is not bad for us at all. I think offering scholarships based 100% on possible potential to kids who have never played a down of football is a step back for the program. Looking at his practice film footage he seemed like a kid who wouldn't be ready to play D1 football for 3-4 years. TE is an area were we seem to have some depth and I don't see a kid who has never played football being physical enough to be an OT. In my time as a head coach I have had three kids come out as seniors who had the size and athleticism to be something special. One kid was a legit 6-5, 330 AND athletic but wasn't able to develop the physicality needed to even be a high school football player.
I assume our coaches aren't just offering to get a body in the door. If they didn't believe they could coach this kid up, they wouldn't waste a scholly, so I'm not sure how this is a step back for the program. Besides, aren't all offers based on potential for high schoolers, regardless of their playing time to date?

I assume our coaches aren't just offering to get a body in the door. If they didn't believe they could coach this kid up, they wouldn't waste a scholly, so I'm not sure how this is a step back for the program. Besides, aren't all offers based on potential for high schoolers, regardless of their playing time to date?

I will say again I am only basing my opinion on the available internet film, but I think there is a big difference between a kid who has played football before and has potential and a kid who has never played football before and may have potential. I referred to it as a step back because we were resorting to offering a scholarship to a kid who had NEVER played the sport. On top of the lack of experience was the fact that both possible positions require a level of physicality that many football players don't have and even fewer non-football players have.

If you google news his name there is a free article on his reasoning.

Out of state tuition is $15,264
Room and board is $7,062
I'm sure they were able to give him a strong financial aid package.

Next time don't look a gift horse in the mouth...his folks must be pissed he turned away $250k.

If having his way paid for wasn't an issue, then he made the right choice in taking the time to look at all options.

If having his way paid for was a priority, then I go back to my original statement I made that he made a horrible decision.

unless i missed it nowhere in the article did it say he was walking on.

no matter, i won't lose any sleep over this kid.

unless i missed it nowhere in the article did it say he was walking on.

no matter, i won't lose any sleep over this kid.

I think most are taking this language as a sign he was walking on and receiving need/school based financial aid rather then a fball scholarship.

Well, he's off to Colorado after signing a financial aid agreement with the school while on his visit to Boulder a couple of weekends ago.

I think most are taking this language as a sign he was walking on and receiving need/school based financial aid rather then a fball scholarship.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that a scholarship is a financial aid agreement as well.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that a scholarship is a financial aid agreement as well.
I agree but usually it's expressed as a scholarship rather than financial aid, hence the assumption.

Exactly. The writer phrased it poorly but that's what he meant.

Financial aid isn't an agreement thats signed either, it's need based, and there's a lot of moving parts. It takes some time to do paperwork, submit forms to be reviewed etc.

Exactly. The writer phrased it poorly but that's what he meant.

Financial aid isn't an agreement thats signed either, it's need based, and there's a lot of moving parts. It takes some time to do paperwork, submit forms to be reviewed etc.
There is aid given by the universities (e.g. need-based) that are signed. If it was a football scholarship, I think it would have been worded as such.