Tell me about the O-line | Syracusefan.com

Tell me about the O-line

MattyL

Walk On
I admit that I don't follow the progress of the o-line as much as some of the other positions. I'm hoping a few of the o-line experts can fill me in on some things I've been thinking about.

1) I know Pugh has a NFL future ahead of him. Does anyone think we have another OL in this roster who can get to this level?

2) Who do you think with start at RT and RG?

3) What do we know about the young plaers? Trudo? Hickey? Curtis?

4) Anyone care to list the OL in an order of how successful you think they'll be while playing here? (For example: Pugh, Trudo, Curtis, Hickey, etc......)

I think Hickey is the wildcard. I believe Marrone is on record of saying that he was at least as talented as Pugh was when he arrived. The question has always been his health and if he can hold up or not.

If Hickey can maximize on his potential I'll rank the OL -

(Not counting new arrivals yet)

1. Pugh
2. Hickey
3. Trudo
4. Robinson
5. Curtis
6. Chibane
7. Alexander
8. Philips
9. Macky

1. Macky
2. Pugh
3. Alexander
4. Hickey
5. Chibane

I kid I kid, macky isnt that high. Here are my real rankings
1. Pugh
2. Everyone else.

I expect big camps from Alexander, Chibane, and Robinson. My starting O-Line is Pugh, Chibane, Macky, Alexander, and Hickey. Though if it were up to me, I'd start Trudo over Macky.

Starting O-Line IMO (from what I've heard about each player and potential)

RT Hickey/Curtis
RG Chibane
C Macky
LG Foy/Alexander
LT Pugh

Think Hickey has NFL size/talent if he can get over the injury issues. Curtis also is a very intriguing prospect, word was he may have started over Hay last year if not for high ankle sprain. Foy, if he lost the weight and got in better shape, might have an edge over Lou. Hear that Lou hasn't quite put everything together yet.

I like Trudo a lot as well, he might be in the mix at LG.

If Chibane improves to a above average level, our line will be quite good next year. He was very below average last year. Run blocking should be good. Pass blocking will be a question with the new LG and RT.

RT Hickey/Curtis
RG Chibane
C Macky
LG Foy/Alexander
LT Pugh

Think Hickey has NFL size/talent if he can get over the injury issues. Curtis also is a very intriguing prospect, word was he may have started over Hay last year if not for high ankle sprain. Foy, if he lost the weight and got in better shape, might have an edge over Lou. Hear that Lou hasn't quite put everything together yet.

If Chibane improves to a above average level, our line will be quite good next year. He was very below average last year. Run blocking should be good. Pass blocking will be a question with the new LG and RT.
Word is that Curtis has some issues with work ethic. I don't think he plays this year.

RT Hickey/Curtis
RG Chibane
C Macky
LG Foy/Alexander
LT Pugh

Thank you for a very well informed post. I grew incredibly frustrated listening to people rag on Macky last season, when a good portion of his struggles were Chibane's fault. I was never an offensive lineman but using my eyes I saw a scheme in which when the offensive was facing a four man front the centers job was to provide help to the guards. (RB responsible for outside help.) Chibane was blown up so quickly that Macky was trying to chip at the last second but did not have time. Macky was the one who looks like he got beat, but really Chibane has to hold his blocks better. This is in regards to pass blocking. Chibane is a better run blocker than Macky but not by much.

Gee, do I owe Macky an apology for all my crappy remarks last year?

RT Hickey/Curtis
RG Chibane
C Macky
LG Foy/Alexander
LT Pugh

If Hickey impresses in August and grabs the RT spot...this season may get a whole lot better. I think without a doubt the most important position battle to solve.

RT Hickey/Curtis
RG Chibane
C Macky
LG Foy/Alexander
LT Pugh

Appreciate the semi-"insider" perspective on how some of the position battles are shaping up.

One thing that stands out about the depth chart listed above: that's only 8 guys [I'm including Trudo, since you mentioned him]. Not much wiggle room if somebody falters or gets injured.

I think we see Alexander start this year as there is too much catch up for guys like Hickey who have been injured. Trudo is a wild card later in the season and it is good to have him back in the event Mac goes down. Look out for Omari something tells me his attitude will find a spot sooner than later

Appreciate the semi-"insider" perspective on how some of the position battles are shaping up.

One thing that stands out about the depth chart listed above: that's only 8 guys [I'm including Trudo, since you mentioned him]. Not much wiggle room if somebody falters or gets injured.

Phillips could also be serviceable if need be. He started in place of Hay for a game back in 2010 and did okay. I don't think he's a guy you want starting all 12 games, but in a pinch, he's competent.

So that's nine, plus there's hope that Palmer will be a player from day one. That's a full two deep right there. Besides, what kind of calamity would befall us for even 60% of the starting O-Line to go down all at once?

Phillips could also be serviceable if need be. He started in place of Hay for a game back in 2010 and did okay. I don't think he's a guy you want starting all 12 games, but in a pinch, he's competent.

So that's nine, plus there's hope that Palmer will be a player from day one. That's a full two deep right there. Besides, what kind of calamity would befall us for even 60% of the starting O-Line to go down all at once?

I count 10
Macky
Pugh
Chibane
Hickey
Trudo
Curtis
Alexander
Foy
Phillips
Robinson

With three fresh reporting in the fall
Palmer
Emmerich
Knapp

I'm not concerned about us filling out a two-deep with bodies [which we have]. I'm concerned about the lack of proven commodities in said two deep--that's the point. Moving forward, we need vast improvement on the OL, and Bnoro's original post demonstrates that we are going to have to rely upon a lot of unproven players this year to help make that happen. Beyond Macky [who has limitations], Pugh, and Chibane [who had a poor 2011], nobody on that list has even played.

We have no idea what we're going to get from Foy, Trudo, Hickey, Alexander, and Curtis. They could emerge and dispel these concerns, but right now everyone of those guys is a question mark.

On a side note, I like Philips--had a decent start [was it against Pitt?] two years ago. He's a little light, but hopefully he can provide depth as well. I'd love to see Robinson contend for playing time, as well.

I'm not concerned about us filling out a two-deep with bodies [which we have]. I'm concerned about the lack of proven commodities in said two deep--that's the point. Moving forward, we need vast improvement on the OL, and Bnoro's original post demonstrates that we are going to have to rely upon a lot of unproven players this year to help make that happen. Beyond Macky [who has limitations], Pugh, and Chibane [who had a poor 2011], nobody on that list has even played.

We have no idea what we're going to get from Foy, Trudo, Hickey, Alexander, and Curtis. They could emerge and dispel these concerns, but right now everyone of those guys is a question mark.

On a side note, I like Philips--had a decent start [was it against Pitt?] two years ago. He's a little light, but hopefully he can provide depth as well. I'd love to see Robinson contend for playing time, as well.

Sorry. I guess I misread into what you were saying.

Yes- SU will have to rely on numerous unproven commodities over the next couple of years. It's not a comfortable feeling. Especially if the team has to replace 60% of its line after the season (Pugh, Alexander, Chibane). But time spent bulking up and getting reps in practice can only help a younger O-Lineman. Right? Right? Some one reassure me here.

1 pugh
2 trudo
3 alexander
4 hickey
5 chibane
6 curtis
7 foy
Is Trudo ready to challenge Macky for the snap duties? I gotta admit that oy is a bit of a pleasant surprise.Apparently Pugh is fulfilling Doug's exuberant enthusiasm when he was coming n as a freshman in Doug's first year. When I met Doug here in LA and brought up Pugh's name Doug acted almost like a kid when raving about him . My impression was that Pugh was project under the radar guy and Doug held him up in potential as a 5 star prise. He was right apparently. The kid will likely be a first or second rounder when its his time. We needs more of those type.Curtis is a high end kid as is Knapp and Palmer for next season.If this year's bunch can perform at a high level we might be better than currently expected. :rolleyes:

The only thing I can say about the OL is that it is the #1 factor in how well the offense does. If it continues to struggle after 4 years of scheme, technique, teaching and development, then I say it is time to consider different coaching assignments.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

The only thing I can say about the OL is that it is the #1 factor in how well the offense does. If it continues to struggle after 4 years of scheme, technique, teaching and development, then I say it is time to consider different coaching assignments.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Completely agree--the #1 factor.

Pre-injury it was thought Hickey has just as much, if not more talent than Pugh. I really hope he can be ready to go this year, because he is an all BE caliber player.

Is Trudo ready to challenge Macky for the snap duties? I gotta admit that oy is a bit of a pleasant surprise.Apparently Pugh is fulfilling Doug's exuberant enthusiasm when he was coming n as a freshman in Doug's first year. When I met Doug here in LA and brought up Pugh's name Doug acted almost like a kid when raving about him . My impression was that Pugh was project under the radar guy and Doug held him up in potential as a 5 star prise. He was right apparently. The kid will likely be a first or second rounder when its his time. We needs more of those type.Curtis is a high end kid as is Knapp and Palmer for next season.If this year's bunch can perform at a high level we might be better than currently expected. :rolleyes:
Cali, we know you hate Macky with every bone in your body but there's no way Trudo starts over him. Macky will be the #1 until he leaves barring injury because he is much better than you think he is.

Bnoro, I agree with Cali on this one. I have watched most syracuse games multiple times and i have focused on Mac. He is in my opinion average at best. He has good feet and it is obvious he knows his assignments but he is too small. Before your time we had a center on the bball team named Bob Dooms. Bob was a good center and played his arse off but he was too small. You cant teach size and strength and Mac is missing in both catagories. Watch the games again and tell me that you dont see him as anything but average.

Bnoro, I agree with Cali on this one. I have watched most syracuse games multiple times and i have focused on Mac. He is in my opinion average at best. He has good feet and it is obvious he knows his assignments but he is too small. Before your time we had a center on the bball team named Bob Dooms. Bob was a good center and played his arse off but he was too small. You cant teach size and strength and Mac is missing in both catagories. Watch the games again and tell me that you dont see him as anything but average.
You also can't teach leverage and Macky, despite being undersized, knows how to use his body. Chibane was a bigger weak link last year and like someone above said, Macky shouldn't have to help a guard pass block. Sure, Macky's run blocking leaves something to be desired but besides him that's a strength of our line.

You also can't teach leverage and Macky, despite being undersized, knows how to use his body. Chibane was a bigger weak link last year and like someone above said, Macky shouldn't have to help a guard pass block. Sure, Macky's run blocking leaves something to be desired but besides him that's a strength of our line.
Hey dont get me wrong im pulling for him but he is just too darn small. Do you think that Trudo has a chance to play center while Mac is around ? Just looking at the two and based on the rating services you would think that Trudo would be given a shot. There is a big difference between a 265 pound center and a 310 pound guy. It takes a heck of a lot of leverage to make up for 40-50 pounds of muscle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom