Tennessee hires Jeremy Pruitt | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Tennessee hires Jeremy Pruitt

Show me the money!!!
leveraged-finance-1.jpg

Honesty, the UT fanbsse is delusional. Not even a top 20 job. Or debatable? What do you guys think. I have the following programs as better jobs:

Bama
LSU
Florida
UGA
MISS ST.
A&M
Clemson
FSU
Mich
OSU
MSU
USC
ND
Oregon
Oklahoma
Texas
Okie St
PSU

Anyone else? That's 18. Who am I missing?

I would take out Miss. State and Okie State. Neither has a tradition of winning long-term and both are little brothers in their own state.

The question is what metric is used to determine a better job. Helmet schools can create advantages in recruiting, but also have impatient fan bases. A coach will either win big early or look for a new job at a lot of those schools. Some lower level schools may give their coaches more time, but competing for a NC is probably a once in a decade shot.

I would add Wisconsin (but I am biased). It is in the top 15 winningest programs since 2000. It shares the state with an NFL team, so it is not the only game in town.

Miami has the name and tradition, but one of its traditions is to be pretty sketchy. Also, like Syracuse, a preferred walk-on program may be difficult to establish as those kids will have to pay exorbitant private school tuition as opposed to in-state tuition at UF and FSU (I assume this could be alleviated by grants, but I am not sure).

UCLA? Maybe. It is in a great recruiting area, but seems to be in USC's shadow (unless USC is in one of its probation periods).

Stanford? Like UCLA in a great recruiting area, but it is my understanding the school does impose a higher than average admission standard for its athletes than other schools.

{snip}

Stanford? Like UCLA in a great recruiting area, but it is my understanding the school does impose a higher than average admission standard for its athletes than other schools.
But they're trying to corner the market in "school-smart" players nationally. Costello, their present QB, and Hogan (IIRC) are from the DC-area.

Honesty, the UT fanbsse is delusional. Not even a top 20 job. Or debatable? What do you guys think. I have the following programs as better jobs:

Bama
LSU
Florida
UGA
MISS ST.
A&M
Clemson
FSU
Mich
OSU
MSU
USC
ND
Oregon
Oklahoma
Texas
Okie St
PSU

Anyone else? That's 18. Who am I missing?
I think the TN is better than some are saying. No, it's not a top 5 or top 10 job but it is one of the better SEC gigs. Knoxville is a great town and is in a great area of the country. From your list I'd remove Miss St, T A&M, MSU, Oregon, OK St. It's on par with PSU, Miami, Washington. Add Auburn to the list of better jobs. We better hope not too many coaches with winning records turn this gig down or they'll start looking at coaches with losing records. :cool:

I was hoping Doeren was going to get a new job this year. He's been on a good roll in the ACC.

You’d have to be crazy to take that job. They want Bill Belicheck.

Vol fans do seem to be trying to punch above their weight on this hire. On the positive side, though, whoever gets the job will probably get a Christmas card from Peyton Manning - at least this year.

Last edited:
You’d have to be crazy to take that job. They want Bill Belicheck.
Wait! I thought it was Gruden. AMOF, the way they seemed to describe it, Gruden was going to pay them to have the privilege and honor of coaching UT.

They should have went after Kevin Sumlin or Les Miles.
Big name coaches who the fan base could get behind.
Or other options that could have been available.
Mike Bobo
Matt Campbell
Dana Holgorson
Bo Pelini
Craig Bohl

Dave Aranda
Jeremy Pruitt
Brent Venables
Tee Martin
Sterlin Gilbert
I really don't think the fans would've been happy with that either. Miles would be viewed by them as a guy that can recruit and can't coach, that he had lost whatever mad hatter magic he had to begin with, and Sumlin would be viewed as a guy that was already middle of the pack in the SEC.

They absolutely won't be happy with whoever they end up with. They don't understand their own status.

I think the TN is better than some are saying. No, it's not a top 5 or top 10 job but it is one of the better SEC gigs. Knoxville is a great town and is in a great area of the country. From your list I'd remove Miss St, T A&M, MSU, Oregon, OK St. It's on par with PSU, Miami, Washington. Add Auburn to the list of better jobs. We better hope not too many coaches with winning records turn this gig down or they'll start looking at coaches with losing records. :cool:
Matter of opinion. If you like the mountains and live in Blount or Sevier counties it's ok. Personally, I don't like it. The city itself is pretty ugly, strip malls and 70's architecture everywhere. Traffic is crummy for a city it's size. My wife and I are looking forward to leaving in the next few years.

At this point doesn't it make so much sense. Damaged goods meet damaged goods.

I think it would work fantastically well for all parties.
Easy easy fix. Im lost as to why this isnt their primary option to this point unless theres truly mutual interest between parties with Les

I really don't think the fans would've been happy with that either. Miles would be viewed by them as a guy that can recruit and can't coach, that he had lost whatever mad hatter magic he had to begin with, and Sumlin would be viewed as a guy that was already middle of the pack in the SEC.

They absolutely won't be happy with whoever they end up with. They don't understand their own status.

I really think the rumors about Gruden gave them some sort of high opinion about themselves. They do have an outstanding history though. I can see where they want an amazing big time coach, but it’s not the 90’s anymore. Tennessee has not been relevant since Fulmer left.

You have to start somewhere to get back on track. It’s just making them believe that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom