Terrel Hunt will be our starting QB in 2014 | Syracusefan.com

Terrel Hunt will be our starting QB in 2014

Rocco

Watching you.
This is not meant to downplay what our 2 redshirt freshmen (Kimble, Wilson) or our 2 incoming freshmen (Long, Eduoard) are capable of doing. It has more to do with what Hunt has been able to do. By no means did he light it up in ACC play (as well-documented by Millhouse), but he improved over the last few games and I would argue he was the #1 reason why we beat BC to become bowl-eligible and a big reason we beat Minny in the Texas Bowl. He lacked the necessary weapons at WR (Broyld, Estime, AC were bright spots) to "light it up" passing-wise, but was still able to lead this team to 7 wins and a bowl W. He isn't the most accurate passer and doesn't possess the strongest arm, but he has a winning spirit in him that you can't teach. The experience and the progress that he showed this year are more valuable than anything. He can work on his mechanics, footwork and technique with Lester and will presumably improve in all of those areas.

Next year, he will have better weapons at WR (those receiver camp battles will be fun) and more importantly, will have another year learning the playbook, watching film and gelling with teammates. For those not that close to the program, he is a likeable kid inside and out of football, and has the respect of his coaches and teammates. We all know of his childhood and some of the tragic losses he's had to endure; however, he will be the first to tell you that these experiences have helped him mature as a friend and teammate.

We should be happy that he has 2 more years to go because it gives the younger guys more time to learn under a well-rounded leader and be hopefully ready to take the reins in 2016. I'm excited about Hunt and looking forward to these guys pushing him that much harder in practice.

Cameo Rel♠ ‏@Rel_Hunt10 28 Dec
Thank you everyone for your support greatly appreciated, what a great way to end a tough season.. My dreams have finally came to reality!

CuseNation Sports ‏@CuseSports44
Pictures are worth a thousand words. Outstanding photo of @Rel_Hunt10 and @AC_TheFuture. #CuseFam #CuseNation pic.twitter.com/QyvRa7m8G2
Baf7LmQCMAAm61_.png

BcmlUXsCAAEZxN6.jpg

This is not meant to downplay what our 2 redshirt freshmen (Kimble, Wilson) or our 2 incoming freshmen (Long, Eduoard) are capable of doing. It has more to do with what Hunt has been able to do. By no means did he light it up in ACC play (as well-documented by Millhouse), but he improved over the last few games and I would argue he was the #1 reason why we beat BC to become bowl-eligible and a big reason we beat Minny in the Texas Bowl. He lacked the necessary weapons at WR (Broyld, Estime, AC were bright spots) to "light it up" passing-wise, but was still able to lead this team to 7 wins and a bowl W. He isn't the most accurate passer and doesn't possess the strongest arm, but he has a winning spirit in him that you can't teach. The experience and the progress that he showed this year are more valuable than anything. He can work on his mechanics, footwork and technique with Lester and will presumably improve in all of those areas.

Next year, he will have better weapons at WR (those receiver camp battles will be fun) and more importantly, will have another year learning the playbook, watching film and gelling with teammates. For those not that close to the program, he is a likeable kid inside and out of football, and has the respect of his coaches and teammates. We all know of his childhood and some of the tragic losses he's had to endure; however, he will be the first to tell you that these experiences have helped him mature as a friend and teammate.

We should be happy that he has 2 more years to go because it gives the younger guys more time to learn under a well-rounded leader and be hopefully ready to take the reins in 2016. I'm excited about Hunt and looking forward to these guys pushing him that much harder in practice.

Thank you everyone for your support greatly appreciated, what a great way to end a tough season.. My dreams have finally came to reality!

Pictures are worth a thousand words. Outstanding photo of @Rel_Hunt10 and @AC_TheFuture. #CuseFam #CuseNation pic.twitter.com/QyvRa7m8G2
Baf7LmQCMAAm61_.png

BcmlUXsCAAEZxN6.jpg
If TH doesn't win the job, I truly hope it is because someone beats him out rather than him losing the job. He has some of the intangibles that are difficult, if not impossible, to teach. Terrel has a great feel in the pocket and can move the chains with his feet.

Great kid with a great story. Let the competition begin.

I agree that Hunt will more than likely be the starting QB. I like the kid, and think he was developing as the year went on. More than anything he is a real team leader, as you said. And that goes a LONG way in CFB. I will say, however, that competition is always good, and I hope the young guys push him really hard trying to earn the spot. I also believe that if Hunt is the guy, that we will also see one of the younger guys get some run in something beyond mop up duty. A package of plays...a role to play. Not to create a two headed QB. But just to further develop the positional depth.

every job is open.

i doubt the staff's vision for the offense is for the QB to drop back, hope the play breaks down...then run for 7yds.

hes a winner, cant deny the 2013 results, but lets not give him a crown yet.

that hat is too cool anyway.

The backup qb battle will be fun to watch as well. I say Wilson takes it

every job is open.

i doubt the staff's vision for the offense is for the QB to drop back, hope the play breaks down...then run for 7yds.

shouldn't you be working now.....

every job is open.

i don't mind that offense, except for the drop back part

Who wouldn't want him as our man after the BC and bowl game.

Most plays broke down because he had no one to throw it to. A lot to be said for that and McD knew it...

Terrel wants to throw it. He has the ability to run it, but doesn't always want to do that. Now, some of the designed keepers worked out really well and he is deceptively elusive. I didn't see him go down once after 1st contact that I can remember. He can stretch a play with his legs if needed.

Terrel Hunt seems to be smart, hard working and a solid leader.

If he can learn to throw the deep ball accurately, I have to believe that he will be a very solid QB in the future.

no one knows what to do. he was so bad. and he ended up pretty good. who knows.

The thing I've noticed most that has been very encouraging is that he is a clearly a leader out there. The players clearly have his back and believe in him. Team chemistry is crucial, especially when you're not a team jack full of 4 and 5 stars.

Who wouldn't want him as our man after the BC and bowl game.

hoping to get a QB who can beat teams besides mediocre ones such as BC and Minny. If Hunt is that guy, then he needs to show it next year. He will certainly be pushed in camp.

The thing I've noticed most that has been very encouraging is that he is a clearly a leader out there. The players clearly have his back and believe in him. Team chemistry is crucial, especially when you're not a team jack full of 4 and 5 stars.

agreed that his teammates seem to love him. thats huge.

He plays like the QB that should come in when the offense is struggling and he will be able to move the chains with his legs and throw enough to keep teams honest. I think we will have 3-4 of those types of QB next year. hopefully one of them can throw passes into tight windows in case we continue to struggle to find Wr that can get open. if hunt would be a bit more accurate and throw more passes on time his numbers would take a big leap.

He deserves another year in my mind. We had quite the lousy receiving core around him.

This year he has players like Cornelius, Estime and Broyld returning and specimens like Williams, Custis, Cooper, Winfield etc coming in.

hoping to get a QB who can beat teams besides mediocre ones such as BC and Minny. If Hunt is that guy, then he needs to show it next year. He will certainly be pushed in camp.

Though if Hunt beats all the mediocre Minnesota - BC caliber teams next year, we'll be looking at something like a minimum 7 win season, with Duke, Louisville, Clemson, Florida State, and Notre Dame still up for grabs. I think I'd take that, and a win against Louisville or Notre Dame (or the others) would be pretty sweet. Gotta say Hunt's a guy that I want to root for. Unless one of the young bucks absolutely lights it up, I'm good with Hunt with how he progressed.

TBCuse11 said:

You could make the argument we won all the games we should have with THunt, except Pitt. That's step one.

We should hope step 2 to be the same + a win at Pitt and ND at MetLife.

I agree with everything you said with one exception. The constant pointing at the WR's as the problem. It was both the QB and the WR's. From my seats in the Dome, there were plenty of plays where the WR's weren't open at all, but there were plenty also where a WR was open and either Hunt just didn't see him or he missed them, sometimes badly.

If it was indeed all on the WR's like some have said numerous times, then our improved passing game late in the year must have been because the WR's improved and maybe not Hunt who improved. That would be scary.

rrlbees said:
I agree with everything you said with one exception. The constant pointing at the WR's as the problem. It was both the QB and the WR's. From my seats in the Dome, there were plenty of plays where the WR's weren't open at all, but there were plenty also where a WR was open and either Hunt just didn't see him or he missed them, sometimes badly. If it was indeed all on the WR's like some have said numerous times, then our improved passing game late in the year must have been because the WR's improved and maybe not Hunt who improved. That would be scary.
I don't think there were that many people putting it all on the WR's. It was clearly both sucking early and both getting better at the end of the season.

I agree with everything you said with one exception. The constant pointing at the WR's as the problem. It was both the QB and the WR's. From my seats in the Dome, there were plenty of plays where the WR's weren't open at all, but there were plenty also where a WR was open and either Hunt just didn't see him or he missed them, sometimes badly.

If it was indeed all on the WR's like some have said numerous times, then our improved passing game late in the year must have been because the WR's improved and maybe not Hunt who improved. That would be scary.

Not saying that the WRs were at complete fault by any means. In fact I said a few of them were bright spots and that Hunt wasn't the most accurate passer. Him missing receivers happens with every QB, but yes there were times that I was furious he didn't see open guys as well.

When it all boils down though, the receivers were weaker than the QB this year. Mistakes/deficiencies on both ends, but more on the receivers end IMO.

West comes to mind. He was open more than he gets credit for

Look at it like this - if someone beats our Hunt we are in great shape!

I seriously doubt that is going to happen though as Hunt is improving rapidly. He is accurate and his arm is strong enough he just needs the game to slow down a bit for him - which is happening. Just look at the Tulane game where everything he threw was on time and on target. When he faced the boys is where he had his problems.

We need to score at least 30-35 points per game to get back into the top 25. We haven't done that since what - 2002? It probably won't happen next year buy we could get to that 30ish range by 2015 with Hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom