Terrel Hunt will be our starting QB in 2014 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Terrel Hunt will be our starting QB in 2014

First, it would be great if we could always have a QB who has 2 or 3 years under his belt in the program before stepping into our QB1 position when there is an opening. We should try to avoid relying on a frosh or RS frosh if possible, barring an absolute stud coming in.

Hunt needs to not only win this competition, but win it early and easily. I thought he showed nice growth throughout the year and I'd like to believe the WRs will get better just between experience and more talent coming in for more competition.

Finally, I think consistency between starters and coaches will help out as well. McDonald has a year as OC under his belt now with a bowl win.

With that said, I think the QB2 battle will be very good. Very interested to see how that plays out.

Look at it like this - if someone beats our Hunt we are in great shape!
I seriously doubt that is going to happen though as Hunt is improving rapidly. He is accurate

and we can all stop reading right there.

I agree with everything you said with one exception. The constant pointing at the WR's as the problem. It was both the QB and the WR's. From my seats in the Dome, there were plenty of plays where the WR's weren't open at all, but there were plenty also where a WR was open and either Hunt just didn't see him or he missed them, sometimes badly.

If it was indeed all on the WR's like some have said numerous times, then our improved passing game late in the year must have been because the WR's improved and maybe not Hunt who improved. That would be scary.

Regardless of what this board says (myself included because I'm usually just rambling a bunch of nonsense), I think you are right that both the QBs and the WRs were struggling. I still say we had too many guys perfect for the slot this year, but not enough guys best suited to play outside. But regardless, I think both the QB and the WRs improved as the season wore on. The blocking of the WRs alone in the bowl game, was phenomenal. It's not uncommon for a bunch of players that are inexperienced in their role, with a new OC, to take awhile to get going.

I'm sure there are more bumps in the road to come, but big picture, it really needs to keep trending better. The optimist in me says it will. The pessimist in me can go f himself.

hoping to get a QB who can beat teams besides mediocre ones such as BC and Minny. If Hunt is that guy, then he needs to show it next year. He will certainly be pushed in camp.

They may be mediocre, but other than Tulane and Wagner, they are our peers. Maryland, NCSt, Minnesota, BC, Pitt, GTech, Northwestern. These are the teams that are in the same boat we are, trying to move their programs from the middle of the pack into the next level up. PSU also falls into this category at this point, which is good for us. Our goal should be to elevate the talent and play to beat all of these teams. After that we can worry about the next level, which at this point in the ACC is Clemson and FSU. But there is nothing wrong with beating Maryland, NCSt, Minnesota, and BC. Right now, if we can beat all of our peers, we would be a 10 win team.

KaiserUEO said:
Look at it like this - if someone beats our Hunt we are in great shape! I seriously doubt that is going to happen though as Hunt is improving rapidly. He is accurate and we can all stop reading right there.

61.2% on the year. That's inflated due to short passes to Broyld and Estime - but he's not that inaccurate overall. Deep throws are the area of improvement.

I just think that if Hunt was the passing QB we need to effectively move the ball with consistency then our OC would call more plays other than just screens. Now I hope hunt improves and takes us to the next level but if MacDonald cant trust him to do much more than throw screens and run QB draws then I'd rather try out one of the younger guys.

Most plays broke down because he had no one to throw it to. A lot to be said for that and McD knew it...

Terrel wants to throw it. He has the ability to run it, but doesn't always want to do that. Now, some of the designed keepers worked out really well and he is deceptively elusive. I didn't see him go down once after 1st contact that I can remember. He can stretch a play with his legs if needed.
Too much of the twisting and lunging for extra yardage is going to get us a look at the backup QB sooner than we'd like though. Let's hope the WR group improves along with TH and we don't have to see too much of him running - just enough to keep the D honest.

hoping to get a QB who can beat teams besides mediocre ones such as BC and Minny. If Hunt is that guy, then he needs to show it next year. He will certainly be pushed in camp.

It's a lock he has the job now.

It's a lock he has the job now.

Hunt is, and clearly should be, the front runner going into the preseason. He has earned that right, especially with his play in the BC and bowl games. But a lock? Here's hoping that SS is not just offering lip service to his belief in competition and all jobs being open.

There is no denying the fact that the passing offense was poor by any metric (FBS ranking of 102). There are multiple reasons for that, but Hunt is certainly among the reasons.

Hunt made great strides towards the end of the year. I think he can lead the team and do a good job. He is a great kid and well liked by other players on the team.

The big question with Hunt is can he be a difference maker? Can he make the massive plays to win some games against top end talent like the Florida State and Clemson's of the world. If he can not be the difference maker then I hope he gets recruited over.

Cream will rise to the top. If someone beings more to the table, he will play ahead of Hunt. I'm not going to bet against the kid.

Hunt is, and clearly should be, the front runner going into the preseason. He has earned that right, especially with his play in the BC and bowl games. But a lock? Here's hoping that SS is not just offering lip service to his belief in competition and all jobs being open.

There is no denying the fact that the passing offense was poor by any metric (FBS ranking of 102). There are multiple reasons for that, but Hunt is certainly among the reasons.

Shafer truly means every position is up for grabs. May the best man win. Of the 3 QBs (Hunt, Kimble, Wilson), Hunt has the job right now. I personally saw all three of them practice and Kimble really impressed me. Add Long in a short while and then Edouard in the summer and we have 5 solid QB prospects on the roster (1 with a year starting under his belt and 2 that have already been through a year in the S&C program and studying film). Shafer, Lester and McDonald's decisions are the only ones that matter. I have confidence they will make the right pick.

100% Hunt's job to lose though, and I don't see him losing it.

Shafer truly means every position is up for grabs. May the best man win. Of the 3 QBs (Hunt, Kimble, Wilson), Hunt has the job right now. I personally saw all three of them practice and Kimble really impressed me. Add Long in a short while and then Edouard in the summer and we have 5 solid QB prospects on the roster (1 with a year starting under his belt and 2 that have already been through a year in the S&C program and studying film). Shafer, Lester and McDonald's decisions are the only ones that matter. I have confidence they will make the right pick.

What did you like about Kimble and how do you feel about Wilson?

Did you go to the open practices? Can anyone just walk in?

There is no doubt, it is definitely Hunt's job to lose, and deservedly so.

I liked Kimble's and Edouard's highlight tapes; have heard good things about Wilson and arm strength - although that did not appear to be in the case in his films. Long?? Without checking, I think I read that his completion % was something like 47% this past year. Love the leadership he has already shown with fellow recruits, but would not be surprised to see him change positions at some point.

I am curious as to how you are able to watch practices. Are you with the media?

What did you like about Kimble and how do you feel about Wilson?

Did you go to the open practices? Can anyone just walk in?

Went to a practice that wasn't open to the public.

Kimble is good on his feet and has an OK arm. Wilson more of a pocket QB with a stronger arm. Personally, I see Kimble as more of a fit in this system due to his mobility. However, I think Edouard has the best prospects out of all 4 backups.

Reactions: 007
Went to a practice that wasn't open to the public.

Kimble is good on his feet and has an OK arm. Wilson more of a pocket QB with a stronger arm. Personally, I see Kimble as more of a fit in this system due to his mobility. However, I think Edouard has the best prospects out of all 4 backups.

Interesting - thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom