terrible close | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

terrible close

we only added more in terms of quantity.

Which means literally nothing. Its not like Marrone's class was complete - he was going to add more too if he didnt leave.

I mean N-O-T-H-I-N-G. We lost 2 or 3 of our best recruits and didnt add a single player that is better than them.

and i didn't say it was a terrible close. you asked for a list of players. I added that its a net loss - but 1 that should have been expected.

Time to relax and have a bit of perspective. This year's class was never great at any time during the recruiting season. What did we need? A future QB - we have next year covered and four to challenge after that. We need to replace receivers and we picked up some very promising speed merchants that never could have been recruited by the former staff. GMD has been working on them for four years.

The D is in good shape with all the red shirts and then JUCOs and returning starters and got better in this class.
  1. Wayne Williams was the best recruit in the entire class.
  2. Fortunately, we have enough running backs for the moment and it will be a priority next year. If we had to lose someone, RB will hurt least this year. We throw half the time and I would rather have a RB that can block as well as run. Look at Broyld who has more talent than anyone we lost and he doesn't play because he can't get the assignments right. He almost got Ryan killed in the Pinstripe.
  3. We got some speed and definite improvement in WR. For my money that is more important at the moment than RB.
  4. IMO ZA was no shoe in to start next year or for that matter ever. Everybody got exercised because ZA was named to the Elite 11. But for that he was a two star from Texas (later elevated to 3). We have no idea if he is better than the other kids and certainly was going to have a challenge to beat out Charlie next year.
We will be fine and next year this day will be a lot more interesting.
Go Orange!

What an awful closing... NYC kids, SEC flips... Very Disappointing. Hoping 2014 will have a better conclusion..
Before you all cry about our losses in NY State, here is a nice read (post the 2011 recruiting year) that compares where the best talent is by state adding in their population statistically. It may be old but hasn't changed much. It is what it is. The fact is, there isn't much talent coming out of the state in proportion to our population, and SU can't even bag the top recruits anyway. We have consistently lost the top recruit from the state, including the last 5 years, that is far as I am going back. NY State finished dead last statistically in producing top talent in College football.

http://www.cornnation.com/2011/3/10/2042954/where-do-the-best-college-football-players-come-from

the fact is, NY is not producing alot of talent, and we traditionally can not grab the top end of it, so does it really matter if NYC kids come out or not? Heck, I was at the USC/SU game at Giants Stadium. Think we should have filled that place easily. No, we didn't even break 40K for the game, considering we had alot of NY kids on the team. We would have had close to sell out at home. No, NYC is a BB town and they have the Giants and Jets. Top talent is used to alot of lights and go for the high profile schools, not upstate NY. IMO we are focused on NYC to much, start winning and they will come all by themselves. Does that mean I don't want NY talent, ofcourse not....statistically we have a much better shot in other places, that's just the facts.

I agree the Cuse will have a better recruiting year in 2014 but our first class in the ACC will finish last with Brown flipping.
Better days are ahead...

I expected to lose recruits after the staff left but hoped for the best. I really hoped that we would hang on to Zach, Malik and Gus, but it didn't happen. I thought that they could be productive at SU. I understand but am still bitter. I hope they get a nice degree. I'm happy with the new guys the staff brought in. We were in on some guys too late to get them. Well, I guess we don't have to worry about the number crunching that had some folks worried a few days ago.

Time to relax and have a bit of perspective.

You quite clearly haven't read any of my posts. But thanks Crusty.

I said that it was a net loss from where the old staff left it.

Phil is just a little delusional arguing that this class is better than where it was. That's all I was debating.

On the bright side Cuse hat sales are up 50% , we are on the table for some major talent. I think Coach Mcdonald is going to work some magic this upcoming year. I predict 5 four star players.

Coach McDonald's twitter has gone awfully quiet in the last few hours...

Yeah - Today has to be a tough row to hoe for a guy that prides himself on recruiting success...

What did you really expect? Pretty much the entire coaching staff changed. I'm sure 2014 will be great.
Really not a bad class given that Doug pulled a moving van up to the Dome in the middle of the night. We addressed some of biggest needs with the guys we were able to hold on to plus the late additions by the new staff.

Very average class. No sugar coating it. The staff did the best they could. On to next year.

Yeah - Today has to be a tough row to hoe for a guy that prides himself on recruiting success...
A bit easier to recruit in sunny FLA. than the tundra, I imagine.

Before you all cry about our losses in NY State, here is a nice read (post the 2011 recruiting year) that compares where the best talent is by state adding in their population statistically. It may be old but hasn't changed much. It is what it is. The fact is, there isn't much talent coming out of the state in proportion to our population, and SU can't even bag the top recruits anyway. We have consistently lost the top recruit from the state, including the last 5 years, that is far as I am going back. NY State finished dead last statistically in producing top talent in College football.

http://www.cornnation.com/2011/3/10/2042954/where-do-the-best-college-football-players-come-from

the fact is, NY is not producing alot of talent, and we traditionally can not grab the top end of it, so does it really matter if NYC kids come out or not? Heck, I was at the USC/SU game at Giants Stadium. Think we should have filled that place easily. No, we didn't even break 40K for the game, considering we had alot of NY kids on the team. We would have had close to sell out at home. No, NYC is a BB town and they have the Giants and Jets. Top talent is used to alot of lights and go for the high profile schools, not upstate NY. IMO we are focused on NYC to much, start winning and they will come all by themselves. Does that mean I don't want NY talent, ofcourse not....statistically we have a much better shot in other places, that's just the facts.

sure NY doesn't have a ton of talent, but there is some. Wayne Morgan, Brandon Reddish, Ivan Foy, Sirki Diabate, Ashton Broyld, Marcus Sales, Terrell Hunt, Kobena, Devante McFarland, Alvin Cornelius, Omari Palmer, Jay Bromley, Robert Welsch, Marcus Coleman, and i am sure i am missing a few. there are some major contributors there, and we have been getting more and more of NY's top talent, just not the top guy. it's all about continuing to build relationships, which we have been doing a great job at. We have a better shot at getting NY's best, then we do Florida's, or Illinois. As I said before every other staff besides Robinson focused on the NE, and I don't see how we have a better shot in other places.

Maybe he's just tired and is taking a nap. Or he's getting prepared for the afternoon press conference.

sure NY doesn't have a ton of talent, but there is some. Wayne Morgan, Brandon Reddish, Ivan Foy, Sirki Diabate, Ashton Broyld, Marcus Sales, Terrell Hunt, Kobena, Devante McFarland, Alvin Cornelius, Omari Palmer, Jay Bromley, Robert Welsch, Marcus Coleman, and i am sure i am missing a few. there are some major contributors there, and we have been getting more and more of NY's top talent, just not the top guy. it's all about continuing to build relationships, which we have been doing a great job at. We have a better shot at getting NY's best, then we do Florida's, or Illinois. As I said before every other staff besides Robinson focused on the NE, and I don't see how we have a better shot in other places.

Ha... you missed all of the big names that spurned us.

ishaq, jones, kelly, ebo, gus etc...

ACC Recruiting Rankings - 2013 Class - per that site that begins with 'S' that we can't name for some reason

1. Clemson (14)
2. Florida State (17)
3. Pitt (21)
4. North Carolina (30)
5. Virginia Tech (33)
6. Miami (34)
7. Virginia (44)
8. Maryland (49)
9. NC State (50)
10. Wake Forest (60)
11. Duke (68)
12. Georgia Tech (72)
13. Syracuse (73)
14. Boston College (91)

Scout has Cuse at 73 as does Rivals...247 has us at 69 but in the top 10 of the ACC...Also espn and 247 have all our commits as 3 stars...

zach allen when he was committed was going to start at qb next year according to most on the board.

so we lost our best and 2nd best players (not that debatable in gus and allen), possibly our 3rd best in malik brown.

pretty significant net loss.

You NEVER EVER judge a recruiting class by quantity.
Correct...and you should never ever judge a recruiting class on LOI signing day.

Is Jones ranked at all we might just GT If he commits :-(

ACC Recruiting Rankings - 2013 Class - per that site that begins with 'S' that we can't name for some reason

1. Clemson (14)
2. Florida State (17)
3. Pitt (21)
4. North Carolina (30)
5. Virginia Tech (33)
6. Miami (34)
7. Virginia (44)
8. Maryland (49)
9. NC State (50)
10. Wake Forest (60)
11. Duke (68)
12. Georgia Tech (72)
13. Syracuse (73)
14. Boston College (91)
And BC had a lame-duck coach all year AND a coaching change

1. Clemson (14)
2. Florida State (17)
3. Pitt (21)
4. North Carolina (30)
5. Virginia Tech (33)
6. Miami (34)
7. Virginia (44)
8. Maryland (49)
9. NC State (50)
10. Wake Forest (60)
11. Duke (68)
12. Georgia Tech (72)
13. Syracuse (73)
14. Boston College (91)

The big question is, did Locksley get his $40,000 bonus?

Ha... you missed all of the big names that spurned us.

ishaq, jones, kelly, ebo, gus etc...

i was speaking of the ones on the roster. i totally believe that those names will come eventually. you just weren't going to change the culture that Grob ruined over night. now especially since were in the acc, upgraded facilities, and on field performance i can totally see the top guys starting to chose us. This year according to 1 service we basically had at one time the 1,3,4, and 5 guys locked up.

a WR, QB, and TE. I am happy with how the class turned out considering the circumstances I just find it hard to believe that the class didn't take a step back is all. Nobody's fault, and should be fine, but we lost key guys, and keys positions, who were close to home.
Other than Carter (since you're a star gazer-a 2-star recruit)...who? Edwards?

You quite clearly haven't read any of my posts. But thanks Crusty.

I said that it was a net loss from where the old staff left it.

Phil is just a little delusional arguing that this class is better than where it was. That's all I was debating.

I understand your point of view. I just disagree with both of you. These classes really do not have that much difference in quality and from a needs standpoint, it might (I said might) be marginally better but is certainly no worse.

We have about the same average rivals ratings and stars as last year and a bit better than 2011. The change is this years class in nil based on those two categories.

This was never a breakout class but is no worse. We are just going to have to wait until next year to hope for a breakout class.

Other than Carter (since you're a star gazer-a 2-star recruit)...who? Edwards?

unlike some i feel RB is a position of need. Next year we lose PTG, and like Smith. Do you see AAM as an every down back? Then you have Morris who should be great, and McFarland, who may now have to move to safety? Then who? Your an injury away from trouble. Now next year we have to bring in a RB and possibly have to have him contribute as a TR FR.

And I am far from a star gazer. Show me one time where i once mentioned a star rating

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom