terrible close | Syracusefan.com

terrible close

What did you really expect? Pretty much the entire coaching staff changed. I'm sure 2014 will be great.

Nobody told Gross to fire Marrone and shitcan half the staff. :D

What an awful closing... NYC kids, SEC flips... Very Disappointing. Hoping 2014 will have a better conclusion..
fully expected by me, the inevitable result of wholesale changes in a staff for a program like ours. Not enough time to establish solid relations, and in all honestly I'm kind of suprised the class is as good as it is.

What matters is what happens going forward, and with this staff I think what happens is by far more positive than negative with enough time to develope longer term connections. Love the line, "do not let what you cannot do effect what you can do". In other words maximize what you have and I think this staff will do just that.

Marsh I do agree. To get better recruits we need to win more bottom line. And then it will still be tough.

It's disappointing, but it's something that couldn't be helped. I'm very excited to follow next seasons recruiting. The staff won't have to deal with a condensed time frame and unsure commits.

What an awful closing... NYC kids, SEC flips... Very Disappointing. Hoping 2014 will have a better conclusion..
I've gotten hammered for saying that SU is up against when it is recruiting against Florida, Clemson, Tennessee, etc - but it is the truth. It is not a negative view of Syracuse as much as it is a positive view of big time programs. A couple of years ago Syracuse was pulling kids away from crappy programs. Now it has lost a couple of kids to mostly "name" programs - I look at that as a positive since a couple of years ago SU would never have had a chance. Add the new staff - give them a full year - and things are looking up.

Considering what we faced, I think it was an excellent close. About 40% of our signees were recruited AND signed by the new staff in the time between Marrone's departure and now. And some of them look like they'll be among our best recruits.

I'm generally both a pessimist and a skeptic on the board, but I'm real impressed with this closing, and think it bodes well for the future.

I look at it this way. There were some close calls for us that would have put us over the top. But considering where we could have been in the wake of a coaching staff turnover, I'm very pleased. We have kids who will help this program in the near future. We didn't take a step backward. We may not have made a leap forward but we weren't really harmed with the staff leaving. It could have been better, but it could have been a whole lot worse too. Great job staff.

if we can get malik to stay it will be a huge win. definitely a position of need, and seems like a great kid.

Can you please make a list of all the recruits that were committed that we lost? Not the actually people who just visited but committed and we lost. Now make a list of the people the new staff added that were not even on our radar to begin with. Now that about all that was done in less than a month.

I look at it this way. There were some close calls for us that would have put us over the top. But considering where we could have been in the wake of a coaching staff turnover, I'm very pleased. We have kids who will help this program in the near future. We didn't take a step backward. We may not have made a leap forward but we weren't really harmed with the staff leaving. It could have been better, but it could have been a whole lot worse too. Great job staff.

we lost 3 of the top kids out of NY, and a potential 4 year starter at qb. it's not this staff's fault, but that definitely hurts.

There have definitely been some disappointing outcomes [Singleton, Spearman, etc.] but objectively we ended up getting involved with a bunch of three-star caliber guys who weren't even on our radar before.

Yes, we lost Gus and Zach, but such is to be expected when you have coaching staff turnover. Smith--meh, I think he was overrated by many on this forum, and ultimately he didn't end up playing football.

If we land Malik Brown, I'd say it is actually a pretty strong close--far from a terrible one.

I agree with VirginiaOrange. While we still are competing with some smaller programs, a large majority of out recruits at least had some interest and/or offers from other major D1 conference teams. I am happy with the small steps as long as they are steps forward. We lost a bunch of momentum with Marrone leaving. We now have to generate momentum with a good season in a more respectable football conference. Competitive games against Fla St, Clemson and others will further solidify Syracuse as a viable option to play football.

I'm no recruiting Geek. Could someone who is do an "Upside/Downside" on this class, base don who we got and who we could have gotten?

Can you please make a list of all the recruits that were committed that we lost? Not the actually people who just visited but committed and we lost. Now make a list of the people the new staff added that were not even on our radar to begin with. Now that about all that was done in less than a month.

off the top of my head

zach allen
agustus edwards
laray smith (silent verbal?)
possible malik brown

add the 2 coreys, kendall moore, brisley, battan, hayes, and scissum

That seems to be a net loss to me, but 1 of which that should have been expected in any coaching change.

off the top of my head

zach allen
agustus edwards
possible malik brown

That seems to be a net loss to me, but 1 of which that should have been expected in any coaching change.

Kimble also...How is that a net loss?

Kimble also...How is that a net loss?

zach allen when he was committed was going to start at qb next year according to most on the board.

so we lost our best and 2nd best players (not that debatable in gus and allen), possibly our 3rd best in malik brown.

pretty significant net loss.

You NEVER EVER judge a recruiting class by quantity.

off the top of my head

zach allen
agustus edwards
possible malik brown

Don't forget devan carter to the girls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom