Terrible, horrible movies to avoid | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Terrible, horrible movies to avoid

Being There is an all-time favorite. I show it in my “Media Analysis” class.
I really enjoyed Being There. Sellers was amazing.
I also liked the Accidental Tourist, but I like quirky, odd ball characters, so there’s that.

Two girls, one cup
Two guys, one bottle

Oh, sorry ...

So, we've got a thread on funny movies, and shows to watch, but I really feel the service we most need is movies to absolutely stay away from when we are sitting there scrolling through the list on Netflix.

I'll get us started. What Keeps you Alive will make you want to kill yourself. As my wife said, it's one of the only movies she ever watched where she wanted the protagonist to get killed so the movie could just end already.
I tried to watch Coming to America, sequel. It was absolutely terrible. Could only watch it for 15 minutes. I didn't laugh once. I then started watching a movie with Tommy Lee Jones, Morgan Freeman and Rene Russo. It was bad too. Just a geizzer movie, Terrible writing for both films

Last edited:
Jack Black was good in some movies though

Enemy of the state
Jumanji
Ice Age
Kung Fu Panda

High Fidelity
School of Rock
Forgot about Enemy of the State! Good call.

Finally did see School of Rock recently and he was good. Didn’t think I’d like that movie but I was pleasantly surprised.

I just tried to watch Coming to America, It was absolutely terrible. Could only watch it for 15 minutes. I didn't laugh once. I then started watching a movie with Tommy Lee Jones, Morgan Freeman and Rene Russo. It was bad too. Just a geizzer movie, Terrible writing for both films
The original Coming to America?

The original Coming to America?
I watched the sequel last night.
Not good. Saddled with having to reference the original too much, but unfortunately, the reprisals of the original bits were the only good parts. That, and two of the new featured cast are annoying as hell.

My whole family except me hates all found footage films. Especially ones that take place at night. “2 hours of starting at a blank TV” they call them

I just tried to watch Coming to America, sequel. It was absolutely terrible. Could only watch it for 15 minutes. I didn't laugh once. I then started watching a movie with Tommy Lee Jones, Morgan Freeman and Rene Russo. It was bad too. Just a geizzer movie, Terrible writing for both films
We lasted about three minutes watching C2A last night. It was embarrassing

Well that’s disappointing.

Has there ever been a successful movie sequel that is released at least ten years later?

Some. For example, Before Sunset was well received - that must have been about a decade, no? It may depend on the definition of successful though as well.

$$$ vs Critical Reception.

Robin Hood: Men in Tights
There Will Be Blood (more like There Will Be Boredom)
What Women Want
Jackie Brown
Batman & Robin
I saw Robin Hood Men In Tights at the movie theater of the Carousel Center mall. I may or may not have been under the influence of something when I saw it. That could possibly be why I giggled throughout it.

Oh, and Tarantino movies in general suck. Pulp Fiction may be the most overrated movie in cinematic history. I’d also add Lost in Translation and Notting Hill (more like Nodding Off, amirite?!) to my list of movies I think suck, list.

Last edited:
Pulp Fiction may be the most overrated movie in cinematic history.
you just made the list.gif

Some. For example, Before Sunset was well received - that must have been about a decade, no? It may depend on the definition of successful though as well.

$$$ vs Critical Reception.
you mean like Star Wars?
Rambo
color of money
mad max

you mean like Star Wars?
Rambo
color of money
mad max

I could think of other ones - like Blade Runner, Wall Street, etc...

Mad Max seemed more like a reboot of a franchise than a sequel for me. Like Spider Man or Batman coming back around again - but maybe I just haven't tied them together properly.

Star Wars seems like independent trilogies...but I suppose it qualifies.

Color of Money is a good one - although I've never seen The Hustler tbh.

Rambo...eh, seems like Friday the 13th or Nightmare of Elm Street, Terminator, Tron, or Robocop 3030. I get it, but I would struggle to toss them in myself just because I don't want to (not that they wouldn't qualify on some level).

Re: Coming 2 America

It’s worth watching if you loved the original. Not great by any means, but fun. It’s more a celebration of the original, or like a reunion special.

I saw Robin Hood Men morning n Tights at the movie theater of the Carousel Center mall. I may or may not have been under the influence of something when I saw it. That could possibly be why I giggled throughout it.

Oh, and Tarantino movies in general suck. Pulp Fiction may be the most overrated movie in cinematic history. I’d also add Lost in Translation and Notting Hill (more like Nodding Off, amirite?!) to my list of movies I think suck, list.
Wow. We have very, very different tastes.

Pulp Fiction was not only one of the best films in history, it was pretty much groundbreaking. Reservoir Dogs was fantastic. Jackie Brown was great—but i didn't like it the first time i saw it, probably because it wasn't as 'big' and dynamic as Pulp Fiction. I don't love the other Tarantino films, but i definitely like and recognize the craft in stuff like Hateful 8, and Basterds. And i like his writing/contributions in True Romance and Crimson Tide.

Lost in Translation is a personal favorite, and as much as i love it, i can understand why it might not resonate with everyone. It's a nuance thing, an atmospheric 'low emotion' thing, and it helps if you like Murray and crush on Scarlett. Weird thing about that... i often watch it because of Scarlett, but always hated her hair color. Last time i watched it, though, i thought it just worked and she was more beautiful than i had ever thought before.

I also loved Notting Hill. Beautiful stuff. And the friends and roommate stuff were gold. I like Richard Curtis films/scripts—Four Weddings and a Funeral and Love Actually and Notting Hill. I even liked Pirate Radio a bit. There's something 'old fashioned/romantic' about his stuff.

Wow. We have very, very different tastes.

Pulp Fiction was not only one of the best films in history, it was pretty much groundbreaking. Reservoir Dogs was fantastic. Jackie Brown was great—but i didn't like it the first time i saw it, probably because it wasn't as 'big' and dynamic as Pulp Fiction. I don't love the other Tarantino films, but i definitely like and recognize the craft in stuff like Hateful 8, and Basterds. And i like his writing/contributions in True Romance and Crimson Tide.

Lost in Translation is a personal favorite, and as much as i love it, i can understand why it might not resonate with everyone. It's a nuance thing, an atmospheric 'low emotion' thing, and it helps if you like Murray and crush on Scarlett. Weird thing about that... i often watch it because of Scarlett, but always hated her hair color. Last time i watched it, though, i thought it just worked and she was more beautiful than i had ever thought before.

I also loved Notting Hill. Beautiful stuff. And the friends and roommate stuff were gold. I like Richard Curtis films/scripts—Four Weddings and a Funeral and Love Actually and Notting Hill. I even liked Pirate Radio a bit. There's something 'old fashioned/romantic' about his stuff.
I liked Pirate Radio a lot.

Re: Coming 2 America

It’s worth watching if you loved the original. Not great by any means, but fun. It’s more a celebration of the original, or like a reunion special.
Did they have Cuba Gooding Jr. getting a haircut?