Texas A&M fires Jimbo Fisher / hiring Mike Elko ? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Texas A&M fires Jimbo Fisher / hiring Mike Elko ?

I think they've seen how money can change a program and they have lots of it. If Clemson can go from being good to elite, there's no logical reason A&M can't. They're in a recruiting hotbed and have access to all the same resources as everyone else. Competing with Texas for in state talent is their only negative.

Clemson won the national championship in 1981. That’s not “recent” - but it’s at least after the Vietnam War. WWII had barely started in Europe the last time Texas A&M won a national championship. Clemson had a long dry spell from ‘91 to ‘11 - but regularly won ACC championships prior to that. Them being mediocre for two decades is more surprising than them elevating to championship level more recently. If Texas A&M is using them as a comp, it would prove my point they are delusional.

Texas A&M is trying the approach of a quick fix - thinking that throwing money randomly at football MUST lead to good outcomes eventually. Maybe it’ll eventually work - but it’s gone hilariously wrong so far, and their approach has been to double down on the strategy.

I drive a 2010 Toyota Corolla with 230,000 + miles on it, want to get 400,000, the thing is an indestructible tank
But your Corolla won’t get you Dr Bill’s trophy wife. The Lamborghini will. And Texas A&M is clearly chasing trophies.

I gave it a shot at making Dr Bill’s analogy work…not sure I succeeded, but I am sure this was the best I could possibly do.

Last edited:
Jimbo is overrated and definitely overpaid. He won a national championship thanks to what Bobby Bowden left. When Jimbo left FSU he left the cupboard empty. They are only now recovering from Jimbo.
This is exactly what the FSU boosters will tell you. He was Bowden's OC and Bowden was put out to pasture a year early, a mistake in my opinion. Fisher had been an assistant to Saban at Alabama. Had it not been for Bowden, FSU would be another Memphis State or maybe an Arizona. He success was the reason FSU got into the ACC in the first place despite opposition from Duke and UNC. The morale of this is be careful what you wish for. You may jump out of the frying pan and into the fire. I think you folks have been there in the past. As for the A & M contract, it is embarrassing. It looks like they were shaken down.

I have been saying for months that Cuse is cash poor...in defense of why we can't compete with all these schools our fans think we should be competing with. Regardess of who our coach is, unless we get an infusion of cash, we will not be able to compete in this new arms race that is fueled by NIL and the ability to pay players.
You have been saying that? First I have heard of it…

Kliff Kingsbury is the new clubhouse leader for the Texas A&M Job per rumors out there from some informed people

I have been saying for months that Cuse is cash poor...in defense of why we can't compete with all these schools our fans think we should be competing with. Regardess of who our coach is, unless we get an infusion of cash, we will not be able to compete in this new arms race that is fueled by NIL and the ability to pay players.
Are you a Board of Trustees member? Then, you have no clue.

Just give Mr Weitsman a call. Smooth things over. Then we can buy out Dino and afford a brand new shiny top of the line coach.
It’s a booster game out there. You have rich boosters you have a ton of flexibility. You don’t have rich boosters you take what you can get.

This is the strangest analogy I’ve ever seen here.

Are you really a doctor?
You’re right he’s not a doctor. He’s actually:
1699879979565.gif

Last edited:
Just give Mr Weitsman a call. Smooth things over. Then we can buy out Dino and afford a brand new shiny top of the line coach.
It’s a booster game out there. You have rich boosters you have a ton of flexibility. You don’t have rich boosters you take what you can get.
Only if we change the teams name to the Syracuse Shredders and put a giant W on the helmet.

Interesting...under the category of "blast from the past"...the interim President at A&M is retired four star General Mark Welsh, my former Squadron Commander at the 4th Tac fighter squadron in the 388th back in the day. He was a Colonel back then. Flew F16s. Good guy.

Only if we change the teams name to the Syracuse Shredders and put a giant W on the helmet.

I like it! He can even bring in the likes of Pete Davidson, Tom Brady, and Gronk whenever he wants. Just open that checkbook baby!

Clemson won the national championship in 1981. That’s not “recent” - but it’s at least after the Vietnam War. WWII had barely started in Europe the last time Texas A&M won a national championship. Clemson had a long dry spell from ‘91 to ‘11 - but regularly won ACC championships prior to that. Them being mediocre for two decades is more surprising than them elevating to championship level more recently. If Texas A&M is using them as a comp, it would prove my point they are delusional.

Texas A&M is trying the approach of a quick fix - thinking that throwing money randomly at football MUST lead to good outcomes eventually. Maybe it’ll eventually work - but it’s gone hilariously wrong so far, and their approach has been to double down on the strategy.
Fine, Clemson has better history than them. My point is since the facility war era and now even moreso in the NIL/transfer portal era, teams with money can become contenders quickly and it's not completely dillusional for fans spending crazy amounts of money to expect it. If Clemson isn't a good example, Oregon is. They were irrelevant until the convergence of the facilities wars and Phil Knight money. Then that changed pretty quickly. The only difference is that Oregon is the big dog in their state and A&M isn't. But Texas also has way more prospects to go around and teams that get good can get even better by recruiting nationally.

Keep Jimbo fisher and throw 70 million at players

Or spend 70 million to replace him with another brain damaged guy dumb enough to go into this line of work in the first place

I think the jimmies and Joes point is too simple but 70 million of great jimmies and Joes beats xs and os

This kind of inefficient stupidity gives us hope that we could compete with less

Keep Jimbo fisher and throw 70 million at players

Or spend 70 million to replace him with another brain damaged guy dumb enough to go into this line of work in the first place

I think the jimmies and Joes point is too simple but 70 million of great jimmies and Joes beats xs and os

This kind of inefficient stupidity gives us hope that we could compete with less
I think they're throwing a lot of money at players. When NIL hit I think they were one of the first that I read about setting up a collective. That's why they want him gone. He hasn't produced with the players they've bought.

This is exactly what the FSU boosters will tell you. He was Bowden's OC and Bowden was put out to pasture a year early, a mistake in my opinion. Fisher had been an assistant to Saban at Alabama. Had it not been for Bowden, FSU would be another Memphis State or maybe an Arizona. He success was the reason FSU got into the ACC in the first place despite opposition from Duke and UNC. The morale of this is be careful what you wish for. You may jump out of the frying pan and into the fire. I think you folks have been there in the past. As for the A & M contract, it is embarrassing. It looks like they were shaken down.
I don't buy that his title was from what Bowden left.

Wasn't Bowden essentially a figurehead his last several years in Tallahassee? I recall a bunch of 7 win seasons happening before he finally got pushed out.

Plus, Jimbo's national title was in his 4th year at FSU. Hard to imagine that wasn't almost entirely his team by that point. Were there a lot of 5th years from the Bowden era making meaningful contributions to that squad?

I suspect had Jimbo stayed at FSU he would have kept cranking out 10 win seasons and giving Clemson their only real competition in the conference.

I think they're throwing a lot of money at players. When NIL hit I think they were one of the first that I read about setting up a collective. That's why they want him gone. He hasn't produced with the players they've bought.
Maybe that's true but what's the best way to spend that next 70 million

Maybe that's true but what's the best way to spend that next 70 million
I don't know that it's an either/or scenario for them. They may have enough to pay a coach and buy players.

I don't buy that his title was from what Bowden left.

Wasn't Bowden essentially a figurehead his last several years in Tallahassee? I recall a bunch of 7 win seasons happening before he finally got pushed out.

Plus, Jimbo's national title was in his 4th year at FSU. Hard to imagine that wasn't almost entirely his team by that point. Were there a lot of 5th years from the Bowden era making meaningful contributions to that squad?

I suspect had Jimbo stayed at FSU he would have kept cranking out 10 win seasons and giving Clemson their only real competition in the conference.

Bowden could still close on players for recruiting. It was the same thing with Paterno in his last years (and F JoePa, for sure), but those guys were still the celebrities. These old guys still carried weight in terms of closing deals when all other things were equal.

That 2013 FSU team was stacked and maybe Bowden was basically emeritus status, but it still mattered. And Jameis wasn't exactly a QB that played within the lines of the offensive playcalling.

Then Jimbo took over and when he left, their OL was a mess. A hot mess.

Aren’t they the ones Saban claimed bought his whole recruiting class?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom