Texas A&M fires Jimbo Fisher / hiring Mike Elko ? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Texas A&M fires Jimbo Fisher / hiring Mike Elko ?

What really makes this crazy, to me, is that the previous record payout was for Malzahn at Auburn that was like $21M.

This is more than 3x that.

To set *this* record by *that* much is pretty crazy. Jimbo should split this with Jameis.

Clearly A&M has the money. Hire Elko as coach. Done amazing things at Duke and was at A&M prior. Knows the gig. Then go out and offer Kliff a ton of money to be OC. You get a fantastic offense and fantastic HC and Defense.

Bowden could still close on players for recruiting. It was the same thing with Paterno in his last years (and F JoePa, for sure), but those guys were still the celebrities. These old guys still carried weight in terms of closing deals when all other things were equal.

That 2013 FSU team was stacked and maybe Bowden was basically emeritus status, but it still mattered. And Jameis wasn't exactly a QB that played within the lines of the offensive playcalling.

Then Jimbo took over and when he left, their OL was a mess. A hot mess.

My point is that Bowden left after the 2009 season. Jimbo won his title in 2013. Ol' Bobby wasn't "emeritus" then, he was lonnnng gone. He certainly wasn't closing high school recruiting battles 4 years into retirement. Doing fundraising, yes.

People love to retcon history when they're upset. I have no doubt the goobers at FSU are now all like "Jimbo won with Bobby's boys! He always sucked!" But that seems to be easily proven false.

I mean, if Autry wins a national title in 2027, and someone years later said that was really Boeheim's doing, we'd laugh them off the board.

I think a low stress reclamation project is right up his alley.

Always liked Jimbo.
TAMU would love if he gets hired right away. If we pay him $5M a year, it saves TAMU $5M a year.

TAMU would love if he gets hired right away. If we pay him $5M a year, it saves TAMU $5M a year.
There is no offset from what has been reported so doesn't appear to be the case.

I could see Miss St going after him

I don't know that it's an either/or scenario for them. They may have enough to pay a coach and buy players.
It isn't either or. Whatever they spend on a coach is more money that can be spent on players

Last edited:
I have been saying for months that Cuse is cash poor...in defense of why we can't compete with all these schools our fans think we should be competing with. Regardess of who our coach is, unless we get an infusion of cash, we will not be able to compete in this new arms race that is fueled by NIL and the ability to pay players.
Then we should drop down to the FCS level because basically what you're saying is we'll never be competitive. Why even support the team.

My point is that Bowden left after the 2009 season. Jimbo won his title in 2013. Ol' Bobby wasn't "emeritus" then, he was lonnnng gone. He certainly wasn't closing high school recruiting battles 4 years into retirement. Doing fundraising, yes.

People love to retcon history when they're upset. I have no doubt the goobers at FSU are now all like "Jimbo won with Bobby's boys! He always sucked!" But that seems to be easily proven false.

I mean, if Autry wins a national title in 2027, and someone years later said that was really Boeheim's doing, we'd laugh them off the board.

That is fair. It doesn't change the fact that their OL was in tatters when he left. He knew what he had and he bounced.

I do agree with your point above though, that is def fair. I concede that point.

That is fair. It doesn't change the fact that their OL was in tatters when he left. He knew what he had and he bounced.

I do agree with your point above though, that is def fair. I concede that point.
I agree with the bouncing. All of these snake oil salesman are eager to bail the millisecond things look to be heading south.

Dan Lanning at Oregon per ESPN is the name to watch here. Lanning has a huge buyout at Oregon and Phil Knight won't want him to go either. So it may be a NIKE vs OIL MONEY bidding war...lol

BTW, the rumored cost that they're saying to do the full overhaul of getting rid of most of these coaches that are with Jimbo and then the new hires/staff may be north of $150M total.

Not that they would be considering it at all, but Kirby Smart's is north of $90M just for him.

The top 10 of college coach's buyout values is pretty crazy. Brian Kelly and James Franklin are both on the list and above $60M right now.

Kirby is fine because he has two chips and might get a third already. Georgia would bankrupt the state before going back to being second-fiddle to Alabama. But man, Brian Kelly and James Franklin are not on as solid ground as the others.

It isn't either or. Whatever they spend on a coach is more money that can be spent on players
If they have enough to outbid the competition for the players they want and pay a coach, they don't have to make that decision.

My point is that Bowden left after the 2009 season. Jimbo won his title in 2013.
I’d be curious how many of those players in the 2013 graduating class were redshirt seniors recruited by Bowden. Can’t compare hoops to football. Football players quite often stay 4-5 years, especially back then.

Another example - SU football had back-to-back 10-2 seasons in 91-92. Those upperclassmen were Mac recruits coming off the 87-88 years. The swoon in 93-94 had everyone saying P only won with mac’s players.

They tried hiring a national championship coach. Hiring a guy who hasn’t won anything significant but talks a heck of a game would certainly be a new strategy.

Probably not a good strategy, but a new strategy - and we could all be entertained as aTm finds another way to fail to meet their championship ambitions.

I’d be curious how many of those players in the 2013 graduating class were redshirt seniors recruited by Bowden. Can’t compare hoops to football. Football players quite often stay 4-5 years, especially back then.

Another example - SU football had back-to-back 10-2 seasons in 91-92. Those upperclassmen were Mac recruits coming off the 87-88 years. The swoon in 93-94 had everyone saying P only won with mac’s players.
Well, Jamies Winston wasn’t a 5th year senior. Neither was Devonta Freeman. Nor Karloa Williams. Nor Rashad Greene. Nor Kelvin Benjamin. Nor Kenny Shaw.

There were a few 4th year seniors on D.

Soooo, I think it’s safe to say that team was almost entirely Jimbo.

Then we should drop down to the FCS level because basically what you're saying is we'll never be competitive. Why even support the team.
What I am saying is that we need to be more realistic with expectations. We are in an Arms race with the NIL and paying players, and we just don't have the same ammo as many of the other schools in the ACC. North Carolina, Florida State, Clemson, Wake Forest, Duke, and Georgia Tech, have more cash to spend than we do. The only peer schools in the ACC for the Cuse are BC and Pitt. We are behind the others in most of the key ingredients for success. But, SU fans don't want to accept that.

Are you a Board of Trustees member? Then, you have no clue.
You don't know what I know...or who I know! Having said that...just look at the evidence: Facilities, we are finally building a new football complex...but how are we building it...on the Lay Away Plan! We raise money...we buy some seats for the Dome. Why didn't we do all the renovations to the Dome at once...New roof, new score board, AC, WIFi...new seats...because just like people with little cash, we have to purchase things on Lay Away... Contrast that with the schools that I have mentioned. Go to You tube and look at the new locker room LSU girl's basketball just got....or Utah, which purchase brand new Dodge Ram pick up trucks for every single scholarship football player. You sound like the one with no clue.

What I am saying is that we need to be more realistic with expectations. We are in an Arms race with the NIL and paying players, and we just don't have the same ammo as many of the other schools in the ACC. North Carolina, Florida State, Clemson, Wake Forest, Duke, and Georgia Tech, have more cash to spend than we do. The only peer schools in the ACC for the Cuse are BC and Pitt. We are behind the others in most of the key ingredients for success. But, SU fans don't want to accept that.
Can you go on the record with a realistic expectation? Give us a 10 year window

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom