Texas nonsense | Syracusefan.com

Texas nonsense

SouthernCuse

Starter
We kicked this around on the NCAA ruling thread a bit, but first the dark humor

lambos for recruits at UT

I really see the pay players ruling as a non event. The idea of paying players for their name and image-related marketing almost seems quaint in today's light. Players are getting so-called 'NLI' payments that have nothing to do with their actual image marketing. Unlike the tailgate initiative, that i supported, but paying hs recruits, who have not even won a starting spot is not going to sell a lot of jerseys.

so its a wild west anyway, are there going to be any rules? imposed by whom? at least a dozen teams think they can outspend everyone else, another dozen probably think a huge alumni whale permits them to play now and again.

Nothing I can do except make sure Syracuse United gets a check, so I guess i have to get on that, now that Consigliere has cleared up the legal issues.

The Texas cars are loaner cars just like ours were.

Yeah not sure if we did it first and everyone copied (which is how I think it went down) or if it was an idea/been done and Fran Brown stole it

I believe tho, we were the first to do it when we did it, in the JMA Dome and had the hibachi dinner on the basketball court

As Beyonce says, this ain't Texas.

I really see the pay players ruling as a non event. The idea of paying players for their name and image-related marketing almost seems quaint in today's light. Players are getting so-called 'NLI' payments that have nothing to do with their actual image marketing. Unlike the tailgate initiative, that i supported, but paying hs recruits, who have not even won a starting spot is not going to sell a lot of jerseys.

so its a wild west anyway, are there going to be any rules? imposed by whom? at least a dozen teams think they can outspend everyone else, another dozen probably think a huge alumni whale permits them to play now and again.

Nothing I can do except make sure Syracuse United gets a check, so I guess i have to get on that, now that Consigliere has cleared up the legal issues.
Unless the players are unionized, and the rules are collectively bargained, there are anti-trust issues. That is why the NCAA keeps losing in court; they have unilaterally restricted the market for people who have no say in the process.

Imagine coming out of high school and going into a trade. You look at opportunities all over the country and every potential employer tells you that they all got together and decided that they are only going to pay X amount of dollars to you for the next four years. Thats illegal. Well, that’s what the NCAA was doing.
Next, someone ought to go after colleges for price fixing.

Last edited:
Yeah not sure if we did it first and everyone copied (which is how I think it went down) or if it was an idea/been done and Fran Brown stole it

I believe tho, we were the first to do it when we did it, in the JMA Dome and had the hibachi dinner on the basketball court
i think it's personally stupid that a recruit would see loaner cars and be seduced by that fact as a decision maker to go to a college. These kids must be raised by parents who are idiots.

I'm curious, to those of us who are boosters to the football program...how long do the recruits visit the academic buildings these days? Is it completely removed from the process since these are pros now?

i think it's personally stupid that a recruit would see loaner cars and be seduced by that fact as a decision maker to go to a college. These kids must be raised by parents who are idiots.

I'm curious, to those of us who are boosters to the football program...how long do the recruits visit the academic buildings these days? Is it completely removed from the process since these are pros now?
Personally, I love it when posters disparage recruits and their families.

Read some of the interviews from recruits.

Texas and Texas A&M have about 2 million acres of land in West Texas. They get millions per day in royalties of oil and natural gas. They can outspend anybody.
IIRC, Texas has a law that state money (like the oil royalties) can't go for athletics. What they both do have is cavernous-pocketed boosters who are willing to spend "whatever it takes".

there has gotta be a poster who has a hotrod they can loan Fran for a weekend photo shoot!! Lets step it up people….

Unless the players are unionized, and the rules are collectively bargained, there are anti-trust issues. That is why the NCAA keeps losing in court; they have unilaterally restricted the market for people who have no say in the process.

Imagine coming out of high school and going into a trade. You look at opportunities all over the country and every potential employer tells you that they all got together and decided that thetre only going to pay X amount of dollars to you for the next four years. Thats illegal. Well, that’s what the NCAA was doing.
Next, someone ought to go after colleges for price fixing.
Trade school's an interesting analogy. You can really expand it out to illustrate the current situation with major d-1 athletics.

IIRC, Texas has a law that state money (like the oil royalties) can't go for athletics. What they both do have is cavernous-pocketed boosters who are willing to spend "whatever it takes".
A way around the university directing paying the athletes is what they are doing now, as all schools are doing it, is asking the boosters to donate say a portion, say 50%, to the collective versus 100% to the university years ago. This is essentially what you are saying but heard schools reaching out to contributors to divert the money.

Last edited:
Texas and Texas A&M have about 2 million acres of land in West Texas. They get millions per day in royalties of oil and natural gas. They can outspend anybody.
Can we marge with Cornell and become a land-grant university like Texas and Texas A&M?

A way around the university directing paying the athletes is what they are doing now, as all schools are doing it, is asking the boosters to donate say a portion, say 50%, to the collective versus 100% to the university years ago. This is essentially what you are saying but heard schools reaching out to contributors to divert the money.
Under the new system, the schools can be overtly hands-on in providing steerage for booster donations. Before it was on the down-low, but now ...

This won't go wrong at all. See Ruggs, Henry.

I guess Fran will just have to come up with a new idea and they can follow his lead again.

Edit: maybe he can get ahold of some loaner super models.

Personally, I love it when posters disparage recruits and their families.

Read some of the interviews from recruits.
if i'm a recruit at Syracuse and see a lambo if that moves the needle i'm an idiot.

the system is broken if this is what people want. Not sure how that's remotely controversial take.

Henry Ruggs was in the NFL. What does having a few nice loaner cars out for pics have to do with Henry Ruggs.
Give a kid that young a car that powerful and not have him properly trained and you get Ruggs. I think his point was if kids are getting lambos you will see this more frequently and I don’t think he is wrong at all.

Look what happens when a couple UGA players get their hands on highly charged SUVs. BTW Carson Beck of UGA has a Urus so before anyone spouts off the, “kids aren’t getting things like that” take your happy a$$ to Athens and you’ll see it.

So in earnest it has plenty to do with it.

Give a kid that young a car that powerful and not have him properly trained and you get Ruggs. I think his point was if kids are getting lambos you will see this more frequently and I don’t think he is wrong at all.

Look what happens when a couple UGA players get their hands on highly charged SUVs. BTW Carson Beck of UGA has a Urus so before anyone spouts off the, “kids aren’t getting things like that” take your happy a$$ to Athens and you’ll see it.

So in earnest it has plenty to do with it.
The specific purpose of this thread is - they are literally just using the cars to take pictures.

So no, it has nothing to do with Henry Ruggs or the UGA kids. It's a photo op.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom