Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC

The fact is that GORs have been an extremely effective way for conferences to remain stable and prevent members from moving elsewhere. Look at conference movement before and after GORs have been signed. This can't be argued.

To my knowledge, member of a conference with a GOR in effect has ever even tried to leave.

That said, I do agree that when you get close to the expiration of a GOR, leaving becomes more realistic and possible.

The GOR for the ACC is further in the future than any other P5 conference. That didn't happen as an accident.

The only reason UT and OU are being discussed now is because the GOR for the B12 is getting close enough to make discussing leaving worthwhile.

Like the castle in its corner
In a medieval game
I foresee terrible trouble
And I stay here just the same

Ok here we go again.

Id like WVU to join the ACC. If they do, and we need another addition for balance, thoughts on who? Big 12 doesn’t really have much left to offer. Cinci?

There has been some discussion of Grant of Rights. For Texas, the GORs doesn’t appear to be that big of a deal as it probably only impacts about 4 home football games per year and the GORs expire in 2025. Texas has the rights to 2 home football games through the Longhorn Network. The Big 12 schools control their own Tier 3 rights so all of them have some flexibility. This, I don’t think the Big 12 GORs is going to hold up Texas and Oklahoma moving to the SEC.

One other point about GORs. Conference exit fees were litigated in the Maryland case and UConn is paying to exit the AAC so exit fees appear to be enforceable. As far as GORs, we haven’t seen anyone try to break recent GORs, so we don’t know how judges would look at them. I would think a judge would at worst require a conference to pay a school that left the conference for their media rights even though the former conference retains the rights.
Good analysis.

As i stated before, i doubt nd will be in the acc. Contracts are meant to be broken. Wvu makes sense.

There has been some discussion of Grant of Rights. For Texas, the GORs doesn’t appear to be that big of a deal as it probably only impacts about 4 home football games per year and the GORs expire in 2025. Texas has the rights to 2 home football games through the Longhorn Network. The Big 12 schools control their own Tier 3 rights so all of them have some flexibility. This, I don’t think the Big 12 GORs is going to hold up Texas and Oklahoma moving to the SEC.

One other point about GORs. Conference exit fees were litigated in the Maryland case and UConn is paying to exit the AAC so exit fees appear to be enforceable. As far as GORs, we haven’t seen anyone try to break recent GORs, so we don’t know how judges would look at them. I would think a judge would at worst require a conference to pay a school that left the conference for their media rights even though the former conference retains the rights.
What would the price tag be for a Clemson, FSU, Miami, etc. Break from the ACC?

Ok here we go again.

Id like WVU to join the ACC. If they do, and we need another addition for balance, thoughts on who? Big 12 doesn’t really have much left to offer. Cinci?
IMHO, but I think if this goes through and the SEC does go to 16 teams, the SEC is suddenly going to realize the need for pods to make scheduling in such a large conference work reasonably well.

I think the ACC has been on board for a long time on this. It is possible the B1G mighrt pick up a couple of pieces from the B12 wreckage and more likely the P12 will. The MWC and the AAC are likely going to grow as well.

In short, one less conferences makes most of the rest of the conferences bigger and bigger conferences mean more proponents for allowing pods for conference scheduling.

All that said, if pods are allowed with conference scheduling, I don't think it is a problem to schedule 15 conference teams.

Assuming WVU was available, the ACC would check with Disney/ESPN to see if adding the Mountaineers would be financially lucrative. If so, add them and stick with 15. I don't think conferences are going to need to get to even numbers any longer because pods are coming.

IMHO, but I think if this goes through and the SEC does go to 16 teams, the SEC is suddenly going to realize the need for pods to make scheduling in such a large conference work reasonably well.

I think the ACC has been on board for a long time on this. It is possible the B1G mighrt pick up a couple of pieces from the B12 wreckage and more likely the P12 will. The MWC and the AAC are likely going to grow as well.

In short, one less conferences makes most of the rest of the conferences bigger and bigger conferences mean more proponents for allowing pods for conference scheduling.

All that said, if pods are allowed with conference scheduling, I don't think it is a problem to schedule 15 conference teams.

Assuming WVU was available, the ACC would check with Disney/ESPN to see if adding the Mountaineers would be financially lucrative. If so, add them and stick with 15. I don't think conferences are going to need to get to even numbers any longer because pods are coming.

EDITD: Assuming WVU was available, the ACC would check with John Wildhack to see if adding the Mountaineers would be financially lucrative.

What would the price tag be for a Clemson, FSU, Miami, etc. Break from the ACC?
My guess? The exit fees would be enforceable, although probably negotiated like the Maryland exit fee. I can’t see a judge withholding media right fees from a school if they leave a conference under a GORs. The way I see the intention of GORs is that the old conference gets paid, but the school that left still gets compensated for their media rights.

It protects the must play annual games.

It also alleviates A&M being stuck annually with Texas and Oklahoma whom they escaped.

What annual game is lost that is must play?
Auburn-Georgia is the game that has to be protected. It is the reason why the SEC came up with designated cross-division rivals and any scheduling system that keeps them from playing each year is DOA. The best thing is a modification of the NFL scheduling system. Everyone is put into a pod (the NFC's and AFC's divisions) and permanently put onto a line (similar to playing everyone who came in the same place you did). You play everyone in your pod (3 games). You play everyone on your line (3 games), and everyone else in another pod which rotates after a home-and-home (3 games). You put Georgia and Auburn on the same line so they play every year.

The GOR isn't limited to just football, and not to just conference games, though. It would cover all Texas and Oklahoma home games in all sports, including basketball, baseball, softball, etc., as well. If Michigan were to play in Austin or Norman, the Big XII would still own the TV rights to the game unless the conference is disbanded.

To be fair Longhorn Network launched in 2011and the threat of Texas going to the PAC-12 gave Texas the leverage to get the LHN deal done with ESPN where Texas could keep all the revenue for
themselves and not share with conference.

Oklahoma tried to go to the PAC-12 without Texas and the freaking PAC-12 voted not to extend membership. LOL.
One of the major realignment blunders. The PAC-12 declined Oklahoma in 2010.

Yeah the whole Big 12 power shift to the Pac 12 was a lot closer to happening then people realize.

Is it possible to kick a team out of a conference? I mean, could the B1G just give Rutgers and Maryland the boot, add Clemson, FSU, GT, VT?

Big 12 and ACC would essentially have to merge. Right now there are 64 P5 conference teams + ND. I think that's the way it would end up in the future one way or another. If Terry, who posts here often, is right and ND faces a booster mutiny by losing football independence, then they're not going to lose football independence. Only possibility is the potential to be squeezed, but I doubt any TV networks/streaming networks would ever let that happen.
The Big East did it to Temple - so why not?

Since both the ACC and SEC are in bed with ESPN I’d like to see NC State swapped for Vanderbilt. The ACC doesn’t need 4 schools in North Carolina and the SEC has duplicity in Tennessee with the Vols
You are missing the obvious trade. Kentucky for Clemson. The ACC cares more about hoop than the SEC and the SEC cares about football more than the ACC. Obviously, the way things have swung, the ACC could never do this, but a few years back, this would have been a wonderful trade.

Texas and Oklahoma aren’t FSU and Tech.

I find it hard to believe A&M has the power to stop this.
As it could trigger Oklahoma to the Big Ten and Texas to the ACC/Independent.

That isn’t good business for the SEC.
Of course you are correct but never underestimate schools doing something for their own benefit that will hurt them in the long run. Refer back to the Hoop Catholic schools of the early 80's.

It will be interesting to see if the B1G gets involved in this too. I could see them having interest in Iowa St. and Kansas, but I could also see the Pac 12 having interest in Kansas/K St. as a package, fits their model, and also Ok St and Texas Tech as well. Geographically those schools align well to the Pac 12's recent adds. Wonder if the Pac 12 would have any interest in Baylor? Or the ACC for that matter...Baylor seems to be the one school I can't quite place anywhere in any of the talk.

It will be interesting to see if the B1G gets involved in this too. I could see them having interest in Iowa St. and Kansas, but I could also see the Pac 12 having interest in Kansas/K St. as a package, fits their model, and also Ok St and Texas Tech as well. Geographically those schools align well to the Pac 12's recent adds. Wonder if the Pac 12 would have any interest in Baylor? Or the ACC for that matter...Baylor seems to be the one school I can't quite place anywhere in any of the talk.
Big Ten will never take Iowa State. They don’t need to double dip in Iowa.

The GOR isn't limited to just football, and not to just conference games, though. It would cover all Texas and Oklahoma home games in all sports, including basketball, baseball, softball, etc., as well. If Michigan were to play in Austin or Norman, the Big XII would still own the TV rights to the game unless the conference is disbanded.
Football is 70% to 80% of the media conference value which is why I focused on it. And, the Big 12 is different than the ACC as Texas and Oklahoma have their tier 3 rights so most (if not all) of the secondary sports media rights are held by the school. Texas uses the Longhorn Network and Oklahoma has a deal with Fox. When the Big 12 came up with a conference streaming network, Texas and Oklahoma did not give up any content as they already have lucrative deals.

The Pac12 would take UNLV before they'd take K State.

I'm not sure how attached K St. is to Kansas or if they're mutually exclusive from one another - that's the only reason I tossed that one in there. I know the Pac 12 would want Kansas.

Kansas, Texas Tech, Ok St. - they'd all fit in the Pac 12 and Tech/Ok St were targeted in the past.

I don’t sleep that much I get up at 4:30 every day.
ND doesn’t have to do anything but if the Big Ten is expanding and this CFB expansion endgame then ND has to make its decision.
can't sleep because of the upcoming beating, I understand. I also think a great team of lawyers can also win the GOR battle for the leagues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom