Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC

I'm not sure how attached K St. is to Kansas or if they're mutually exclusive from one another - that's the only reason I tossed that one in there. I know the Pac 12 would want Kansas.

Kansas, Texas Tech, Ok St. - they'd all fit in the Pac 12 and Tech/Ok St were targeted in the past.
TT and OK St were only along for the ride with UT and OU. On their own they have almost no value whatsoever.

That ain't hard. They're all in.

And this isn't a political post! More Red Aggies than Blue Horns in the Texas legislature, fwiw.
After what VT legislators did to the Orange in '03 I am leery. OSU may not go down without a fight if their press release yesterday is any indication.

My fear is that the new Big 10 commish wakes up and the conference looks to the ACC over the next few years for their expansion targets. I could see them using Florida State and Clemson, lesser academics aside, to pry loose UNC, Virginia and Duke. If FSU and Clemson appear to be angling for an exit, that would definitely prompt UNC and UVA to give a long hard look at the Big 10—and they’d probably be forced into saying yes. They’d almost have no choice if FSU and Clemson made the move. I could even see Clemson and Florida State approaching the Big 10 themselves through back channels to put the dominoes in motion. That could also force ND’s hand to join the Big10. Granted, that’s a lot of moving parts and some big risks and might be a huge challenge to pull off, especially with the grant of rights agreement as a road block, but I could see it happening. As Syracuse fans, that’s our nightmare scenario. But if I was the Big 10 Commish, that’s what I’d be looking to do. You add Florida State and Clemson (and hold your nose on the academics), UNC, UVA, Duke, and ND, and you have a 20 team conference that could keep pace with the SEC.
FSU and Clemson academics aren't bad at all. The other four schools are certainly a decent amount better but we aren't Louisville...

Football is 70% to 80% of the media conference value which is why I focused on it. And, the Big 12 is different than the ACC as Texas and Oklahoma have their tier 3 rights so most (if not all) of the secondary sports media rights are held by the school. Texas uses the Longhorn Network and Oklahoma has a deal with Fox. When the Big 12 came up with a conference streaming network, Texas and Oklahoma did not give up any content as they already have lucrative deals.
You are kind of the antithesis of posting with 95% certainty based on 5% knowledge.

You should consider posting more often...

Needs to be ND for the ACC to survive
This right now is a longshot. There may be a lot of other dominos that fall, which could change the tide but I really do not see them yet. The ACC and PAC (and ND to a point) just got moved down a rung (again). The SEC and the BiG 10 are blowing past everyone and it will only continue.

This right now is a longshot. There may be a lot of other dominos that fall, which could change the tide but I really do not see them yet. The ACC and PAC (and ND to a point) just got moved down a rung (again). The SEC and the BiG 10 are blowing past everyone and it will only continue.
Yep. It feels like every conference but the SEC and B10 will essentially be G5.

TT and OK St were only along for the ride with UT and OU. On their own they have almost no value whatsoever.
The Pac 12 is going to expand and it has to expand in ways that it doesn't oversaturate the markets it already has. UNLV makes a ton of sense, San Diego St. makes sense now that there is no Pro football market there, but outside of those 2, no other schools out west make sense - although I could see an argument for Fresno St. as a secondary option. The religious side of BYU disqualifies it. Pairing schools like Utah St, Colorado St and Nevada are undesirable. Nevada is probably the best of that bunch, but only if UNLV for some reason isn't an option. New Mexico/New Mexico St. - Blah. Boise St. is intriguing but I just don't see it.

The middle range schools from the Big 12 have to go somewhere. The Pac 12 has Colorado out on an island basically. Lubbock and Stillwater geographically are closer to Colorado than most of the Pac 12. I'm pretty confident that if the Pac 12 has an opportunity to grab Kansas, they will, and they have to pair that with something. They can do a lot worse than Oklahoma St. as a partner to Kansas in that scenario. And it gives them a further presence in the central time zone which is something the Pac 12 wants.

A growing part of me wishes the football factories would just go ahead and create their mini-NFL and leave the rest of us to be universities that field football teams. We could stop trying to be Penn State or Clemson and just focus on beating BC, Pitt, Wake Forest, etc.

You are kind of the antithesis of posting with 95% certainty based on 5% knowledge.

You should consider posting more often...

5hau6s.jpg

The Pac 12 is going to expand and it has to expand in ways that it doesn't oversaturate the markets it already has. UNLV makes a ton of sense, San Diego St. makes sense now that there is no Pro football market there, but outside of those 2, no other schools out west make sense - although I could see an argument for Fresno St. as a secondary option. The religious side of BYU disqualifies it. Pairing schools like Utah St, Colorado St and Nevada are undesirable. Nevada is probably the best of that bunch, but only if UNLV for some reason isn't an option. New Mexico/New Mexico St. - Blah. Boise St. is intriguing but I just don't see it.

The middle range schools from the Big 12 have to go somewhere. The Pac 12 has Colorado out on an island basically. Lubbock and Stillwater geographically are closer to Colorado than most of the Pac 12. I'm pretty confident that if the Pac 12 has an opportunity to grab Kansas, they will, and they have to pair that with something. They can do a lot worse than Oklahoma St. as a partner to Kansas in that scenario. And it gives them a further presence in the central time zone which is something the Pac 12 wants.

FSU and Clemson academics aren't bad at all. The other four schools are certainly a decent amount better but we aren't Louisville...
Yep. FSU and SU actually have the exact same US News ranking (58) and Clemson is close behind at 74.

After what VT legislators did to the Orange in '03 I am leery. OSU may not go down without a fight if their press release yesterday is any indication.
I just was thinking about 03 and how I was talking to a UNC neighbor about our pending rivalry. Took 8 more years.

But I am all aboard the screw this if not good for fans bandwagon.

I may have missed it in this thread, but apparently SEC has moved up a President's meeting to today.

The middle range schools from the Big 12 have to go somewhere.
Do they, though? I mean, if there isn't meaningful value for a conference in adding those schools, then why would they?

Kansas is a weird case, because their hoops team does have a strong brand. But the Kansas market is not big -- the Kansas City TV market is smaller than the Hartford/New Haven market, and we see how unattractive UConn has been recently.

A lot of the rest of the Big 12 is dreck. Iowa State, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, TCU, Texas Tech... that is a whole lot of meh. Mayyyybe WVU get a look somewhere because of their history playing eastern teams, and Baylor is probably attractive given their recent success and record of not caring at all about who is harmed to achieve it, and maybe Kansas's hoops program gets them in somewhere. But honestly, a possible outcome is that most of the Big 12 has to find a home in an American-like conference and scrap as a Group of Five entity going forward.

I see the PAC expanding with KU, KSt, Okie St and TTech

I see the PAC expanding with KU, KSt, Okie St and TTech
It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. But I know the Pac 12 will be a player here. Their desire to expand further into the central time zone all but assures that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom