Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC

Won't they vote on the schools individually? If OU passes wouldn't the SEC take them?
If the SEC Takes Oklahoma they will take Texas.
Again the Longhorns are more valuable.
Texas A&M is the Virginia Tech equivalent in the SEC.
They are valued but they don’t have the power to stop Texas.

Feels like only yesterday...
To be fair Longhorn Network launched in 2011and the threat of Texas going to the PAC-12 gave Texas the leverage to get the LHN deal done with ESPN where Texas could keep all the revenue for
themselves and not share with conference.

Oklahoma tried to go to the PAC-12 without Texas and the freaking PAC-12 voted not to extend membership. LOL.
One of the major realignment blunders. The PAC-12 declined Oklahoma in 2010.

16 is the endgame for conferences IMO.

After 16 it’s not a conference anymore.

Scheduling 16 teams isn’t that hard either.

The Big Ten probably wants ND and then another blue blood for their end game.

UNC and UVA were who they wanted instead of UMD and RU but could never shake them.

Florida State is the one if they had any brains to target.

16 is an internet thing. How is it really better than 18 if 18 offers more value and makes it easier to keep rivalries?

What does this all mean for Syracuse?
That’s the bigger question. I may have been in the small minority to say years ago we should of aggressively attempted to join the Big Ten if that was ever a possibility now we might be in a worse situation given how things shake out with realignment
My fear is that the new Big 10 commish wakes up and the conference looks to the ACC over the next few years for their expansion targets. I could see them using Florida State and Clemson, lesser academics aside, to pry loose UNC, Virginia and Duke. If FSU and Clemson appear to be angling for an exit, that would definitely prompt UNC and UVA to give a long hard look at the Big 10—and they’d probably be forced into saying yes. They’d almost have no choice if FSU and Clemson made the move. I could even see Clemson and Florida State approaching the Big 10 themselves through back channels to put the dominoes in motion. That could also force ND’s hand to join the Big10. Granted, that’s a lot of moving parts and some big risks and might be a huge challenge to pull off, especially with the grant of rights agreement as a road block, but I could see it happening. As Syracuse fans, that’s our nightmare scenario. But if I was the Big 10 Commish, that’s what I’d be looking to do. You add Florida State and Clemson (and hold your nose on the academics), UNC, UVA, Duke, and ND, and you have a 20 team conference that could keep pace with the SEC.

16 is an internet thing. How is it really better than 18 if 18 offers more value and makes it easier to keep rivalries?
It’s a scheduling thing. Unless conference schedules became 10 games it becomes hard to get the inventory games you would want from expansion.

Lots of things to consider here re: streaming rights and competitive balance, etc. but no matter how the conference memberships are defined the reality is we shouldn't get too worked up about it.

We're still all going to die someday.
Are we still made of water though?

It’s a scheduling thing. Unless conference schedules became 10 games it becomes hard to get the inventory games you would want from expansion.

With 16 you need 2 seasons to get through the entire conference if you do 3 x 6/6. With 18 it will take 3 years with 5 x 4/4/4.

Most schools will think 5 yearly rivals is better than 3.

My fear is that the new Big 10 commish wakes up and the conference looks to the ACC over the next few years for their expansion targets. I could see them using Florida State and Clemson, lesser academics aside, to pry loose UNC, Virginia and Duke. If FSU and Clemson appear to be angling for an exit, that would definitely prompt UNC and UVA to give a long hard look at the Big 10—and they’d probably be forced into saying yes. They’d almost have no choice if FSU and Clemson made the move. I could even see Clemson and Florida State approaching the Big 10 themselves through back channels to put the dominoes in motion. That could also force ND’s hand to join the Big10. Granted, that’s a lot of moving parts and some big risks and might be a huge challenge to pull off, especially with the grant of rights agreement as a road block, but I could see it happening. As Syracuse fans, that’s our nightmare scenario. But if I was the Big 10 Commish, that’s what I’d be looking to do. You add Florida State and Clemson (and hold your nose on the academics), UNC, UVA, Duke, and ND, and you have a 20 team conference that could keep pace with the SEC.
The Big Ten already tried this.

They just didn’t target Florida State.
They are the weak spot for the ACC.
Clemson doesn’t make as much money as the SEC but private donations make up the gap.

The fact is that GORs have been an extremely effective way for conferences to remain stable and prevent members from moving elsewhere. Look at conference movement before and after GORs have been signed. This can't be argued.

To my knowledge, member of a conference with a GOR in effect has ever even tried to leave.

That said, I do agree that when you get close to the expiration of a GOR, leaving becomes more realistic and possible.

The GOR for the ACC is further in the future than any other P5 conference. That didn't happen as an accident.

The only reason UT and OU are being discussed now is because the GOR for the B12 is getting close enough to make discussing leaving worthwhile.

This is a very important observation.

That is a very unlikely scenario, but if it happened why stop at 20? GA Tech completes the map between SC and FL, adds a new market and recruiting area. SU and BC completes then Northeast map. Adding all three makes the B1G even more attractive for ND.

This is exactly what I have said numerous times and is an end game scheduling scenario.

They should have semifinals and a conference championship. Imagine how much $ that would generate.

Of course, that means one of them probably has a 17 game season with an 8 team playoff, but who really cares at this point, right?

This is exactly what I have said numerous times and is an end game scheduling scenario.
Would never fly the way that is setup. You lose way too many yearly games. Some schools might vote no.

The ACC is about to get destroyed in future revenue streams... I hate this conference.
You and FSU rule this conference on the football side. Being behind in revenue streams hasn’t hurt your brand or football competitiveness.

Last edited:
Would never fly the way that is setup. You lose way too many yearly games. Some schools might vote no.
It protects the must play annual games.

It also alleviates A&M being stuck annually with Texas and Oklahoma whom they escaped.

What annual game is lost that is must play?

Is it possible to kick a team out of a conference? I mean, could the B1G just give Rutgers and Maryland the boot, add Clemson, FSU, GT, VT?

Big 12 and ACC would essentially have to merge. Right now there are 64 P5 conference teams + ND. I think that's the way it would end up in the future one way or another. If Terry, who posts here often, is right and ND faces a booster mutiny by losing football independence, then they're not going to lose football independence. Only possibility is the potential to be squeezed, but I doubt any TV networks/streaming networks would ever let that happen.

It also alleviates A&M being stuck annually with Texas and Oklahoma whom they escaped.

I think the only one that might cause an issue is Auburn - Georgia, they've played 125 times. But there's plenty of content for each of those schools. Auburn preserves Alabama, Georgia preserves Florida.

All the below have been played over 75x

Auburn UGA
LSU Fla
Fla Tenn
Vandy Ole Miss
Bama LSU
Bama Miss St
Texas Texas A&M
Tenn UK
UGA Vandy
Ark A&M

Auburn UGA
LSU Fla
Fla Tenn
Vandy Ole Miss
Bama LSU
Bama Miss St
Texas Texas A&M
Tenn UK
UGA Vandy
Ark A&M

Auburn Fla is also over 75 but not played yearly. 3 x 2/2/2 x 2/2/2 won't work. Pods don't work well in the SEC more likely to have 3 x 6/6 without pods.

Auburn UGA
LSU Fla
Fla Tenn
Vandy Ole Miss
Bama LSU
Bama Miss St
Texas Texas A&M
Tenn UK
UGA Vandy
Ark A&M
The only one of those games that is must play is Auburn-Georgia.

LSU and Florida hate that they play each other annually.
Florida and Tennessee was a Steve Spurrier-Peyton Manning rivalry. It’s not as important now.

Vandy-Ole Miss isn’t must play again the crossover opponents were done to basically guarantee Tennessee-Alabama and Auburn-Georgia play annually.
The rest are just done to fill holes.
Florida and LSU hate they got stuck with each other.

Bama just cares about guaranteeing Tennessee and Auburn every year.

A lot of those aren’t must play annuals.

There has been some discussion of Grant of Rights. For Texas, the GORs doesn’t appear to be that big of a deal as it probably only impacts about 4 home football games per year and the GORs expire in 2025. Texas has the rights to 2 home football games through the Longhorn Network. The Big 12 schools control their own Tier 3 rights so all of them have some flexibility. This, I don’t think the Big 12 GORs is going to hold up Texas and Oklahoma moving to the SEC.

One other point about GORs. Conference exit fees were litigated in the Maryland case and UConn is paying to exit the AAC so exit fees appear to be enforceable. As far as GORs, we haven’t seen anyone try to break recent GORs, so we don’t know how judges would look at them. I would think a judge would at worst require a conference to pay a school that left the conference for their media rights even though the former conference retains the rights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom