Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC

Agree with most of that. I don't see UNC-UVA-Duke leaving the ACC unless both Clemson and FSU leave. If Dabo left Clemson and they returned to normal and FSU left, I think they add UCF and wait it out a few years before even considering a move.

I think the ACC is safe. The only way I see it breaking up anytime soon is if FSU and Clemson both go to the B1G. Then after a few years of making little money and poor football, the B1G might be able to get UNC-UVA-Duke. Not long after the SEC could grab VA Tech and NC State to complete their map. Once that dust settles the B1G can grab GA Tech, SU, BC. Then ND would come along as they are left with no other choice for the olympic sports. Miami is taken as the last team, which means the B1G is a 24 team conference. Pitt, Louisville, Wake would be left out. I think this is extremely unlikely but at the same time is the only way UNC-UVA-Duke leave the ACC. Either way I think we are completely safe.
16 is the endgame for conferences IMO.

After 16 it’s not a conference anymore.

Scheduling 16 teams isn’t that hard either.

The Big Ten probably wants ND and then another blue blood for their end game.

UNC and UVA were who they wanted instead of UMD and RU but could never shake them.

Florida State is the one if they had any brains to target.

Oklahoma and Texas don’t owe Iowa State or Kansas State anything.
If they can make more money playing other schools they are free to move.
And Clemson & Florida State don’t owe NC State or Boston College anything.

Virginia & UNC don’t owe Miami or SU anything.

Notre Dame doesn’t owe the ACC anything.

This is just the beginning of teams making moves. The ACC is currently vulnerable to poachers.

The ACC signed their GOR after Maryland left.

GOR are scaring schools.
If UNC wanted to leave the ACC tomorrow they would be able to get their rights to go with them. It would cost money but the GOR are just to scare schools.

Just like pre-nups can be defeated in court.

And Clemson & Florida State don’t owe NC State or Boston College anything.

Virginia & UNC don’t owe Miami or SU anything.

Notre Dame doesn’t owe the ACC anything.

This is just the beginning of teams making moves. The ACC is currently vulnerable to poachers.
I don’t disagree with anything you say here.

The ACC is vulnerable if conferences are going to go over 16 teams.

The SEC doesn’t like the ACC but they don’t hate the conference like they do the B1G.

SEC would be destroying the Big XII.

The B1G would love to shake out UNC and ND from the ACC.
Would they settle for Clemson or Florida State? It should be interesting.

If Texas and Oklahoma leave, b12 revenue falls off a cliff. They should drop below the ACC

In terms of per-school payouts for fiscal 2020:

— Big Ten: $54.3 million
SEC: $45.5 million
— Big 12: $37 million to $40.5 million
— Pac-12: $33.6 million
— ACC: $30.9 million to $37 million (and $10.8 million to Notre Dame)
Remember that B10 figure$ include gate revenue sharing.

GOR are scaring schools.
If UNC wanted to leave the ACC tomorrow they would be able to get their rights to go with them. It would cost money but the GOR are just to scare schools.

so what's the point of conferences at this point if the schools can leave and have networks holding the bag. It makes no sense that these GOR/exit fees are feckless.

If you are right, and you probably are, then why not just recreate all the conferences to how TV wants to pay for them geographically speaking. It's turning into wrestling before WWF bought all the regionals.

so what's the point of conferences at this point if the schools can leave and have networks holding the bag. It makes no sense that these GOR/exit fees are feckless.

If you are right, and you probably are, then why not just recreate all the conferences to how TV wants to pay for them geographically speaking. It's turning into wrestling before WWF bought all the regionals.
Your last paragraph is what they should do.
However the big dogs do like have some regional rivals so it’s easier for their fans to get to games and plus they want soft schedules they know they can dominate.
Alabama likes playing Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Arkansas, Tennessee every year because they are close games for travel and they are going to win an overwhelming majority time.
They don’t want a conference full of power houses they want 3-4 hard games every regular season.

No they are not and by the way most pre nups hold up in court.

Minor detail tom:)
Oh give me a break. You have no clue how contracts work. You think parity is possible in college sports.

I actually get this stuff realignment and don’t talk like an idealist but minor detail ignored by you.

Lots of things to consider here re: streaming rights and competitive balance, etc. but no matter how the conference memberships are defined the reality is we shouldn't get too worked up about it.

We're still all going to die someday.

Lots of things to consider here re: streaming rights and competitive balance, etc. but no matter how the conference memberships are defined the reality is we shouldn't get too worked up about it.

We're still all going to die someday.

I'll end up dying watching a Bojangles commercial during a regional ACC football tilt vs NC State wondering with all this money why we listening to Brock Huard?

Why do most think realignment will result in 4 16 team conferences? With 65 teams in the P5, there are definitely some not pulling their weight. Wouldn't 32(or at most, 48) teams in the top conferences make more sense?

Live look at Alsacs this morning

6FCC610C-B464-4795-9747-AD96BE89D7E3.gif

The Big Ten reaction is key.
I doubt ND shakes loose.
So Kansas makes some sense for them but what other team could they absorb?

Add KU and scrap divisions. Or have 3 divisions of 5. They had 11 for years.

GOR are scaring schools.

The fact is that GORs have been an extremely effective way for conferences to remain stable and prevent members from moving elsewhere. Look at conference movement before and after GORs have been signed. This can't be argued.

To my knowledge, member of a conference with a GOR in effect has ever even tried to leave.

That said, I do agree that when you get close to the expiration of a GOR, leaving becomes more realistic and possible.

The GOR for the ACC is further in the future than any other P5 conference. That didn't happen as an accident.

The only reason UT and OU are being discussed now is because the GOR for the B12 is getting close enough to make discussing leaving worthwhile.

The best thing going for the ACC right now is Kevin Warren is no Jim Delaney.
Delaney was cutthroat and knew how to think ahead.
The new commissioner ticked off a lot of people how he handled the decisions to cancel last year.

The ACC needs to hold the line. It’s never going to be the top revenue conference but as long as it doesn’t lose Florida State or Clemson I could see Notre Dame actually doing the right thing along with potentially poaching up another decent School.

Conferences are going to go over 16.

I honestly think Oklahoma and Texas just wanted out of the Big XII.

They are using the SEC as a way to do that and for it to make sense.

If A&M and Mizzou block them then they can go to plan B.
Where I think Texas would go Indy like ND with ACC games.

Oklahoma then could look at the Big Ten or PAC-12.

If the SEC doesn’t take OU/UT they would just basically be giving those powers to another conference.

WVU is basically looking at the American conference or ACC if the ACC has to expand.

Truthfully the best option for the ACC would be ND and WVU.

ND needs to just pick its destiny so this can finally end. If they want B1G or ACC.

Won't they vote on the schools individually? If OU passes wouldn't the SEC take them?

Alsacs, not for nothing but love the fact u posted at like 2am and now at 740am. You live for this stuff and I love it.

I want someone to explain why ND has to do something. If the college playoff is available to them no matter super conference/legion of doom scenarios, why make the move? They obviously aren't swayed by the ultimate pay out.

I would think ND is in the best position to do a streaming service at some point.
They will only join if they need games. Should the B1G and SEC go to 10 conference games then ND is left needing to play 8-9 games vs the ACC at which point why not join?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom