Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC

Why would the ACC want Villanova and Georgetown? :confused:
An idea put forward previously as a lure and help to ND was to have Navy join for football, playing ND every year, so that game is a conference game for them and wouldn't be squeezed out by having 9 conference games (if that was the number chosen). Navy is barely competitive in the Patriot League, while Georgetown and Villanova don't play FBS (D-1A) football and have excellent Olympic sports and basketball. So, Navy would take football slot #16 and either Georgetown or Villanova would take slot #16 for all the other sports.

I can't see any scenario where UNC or UVA want to leave the ACC. This conference is theirs, the money is good, the institutional fit is perfect. Pillar schools from the long-time, stable 4 conferences (ACC, SEC, B10, P12) don't leave.

Honestly, I think people lose their minds a little when it comes to conference stuff. Despite all the rumors and drama 10 years ago, the changes were all pretty logical. Scenarios like the ACC adding 4 mediocre Big 12 schools is not logical, IMHO.
Let's put this to bed. UVa and UNC will not do anything that would cause the demise of the ACC. Neither of us wants to leave. Neither of us wants to see the conference implode. If we leave, it will be because some outside force has caused the demise of the conference, like if the P5, ND, and BYU voted to end conferences for football. UNC was a driving force behind the creation of the ACC in 1953 leading the breakaway from the Southern Conference, The original 7 left in the spring of '53, we followed them in December when our hopes for "a southern Ivy" never materialized (per our official recounting of conference history).

My guess? The exit fees would be enforceable, although probably negotiated like the Maryland exit fee. I can’t see a judge withholding media right fees from a school if they leave a conference under a GORs. The way I see the intention of GORs is that the old conference gets paid, but the school that left still gets compensated for their media rights.
Your wrong

Let's put this to bed. UVa and UNC will not do anything that would cause the demise of the ACC. Neither of us wants to leave. Neither of us wants to see the conference implode. If we leave, it will be because some outside force has caused the demise of the conference, like if the P5, ND, and BYU voted to end conferences for football. UNC was a driving force behind the creation of the ACC in 1953 leading the breakaway from the Southern Conference, The original 7 left in the spring of '53, we followed them in December when our hopes for "a southern Ivy" never materialized (per our official recounting of conference history).

Yeah, sure, but what if Wake joins the Colonial?! It’ll be anarchy, I tells ya!!!

{snip}

ACC just picks up WVU, goes with 3 divisions of 5 until ND is ready.

{snip}
I need a new job.
The problem with that is the current rule requires the ACC to have 2 divisions with the division champs meeting in the championship game.

The problem with that is the current rule requires the ACC to have 2 divisions with the division champs meeting in the championship game.
I would just do it regardless of what any entity mandates.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the ACC did not have a GOR when Maryland left. MD was penalized an exit fee, but nothing under a GOR. The ACC GOR was established as a prerequisite to the ACCN being established- ESPN demanded the conference have it before agreeing to the Network. They did that for a reason, because GOR's have teeth.

A GOR has never been tested in a court of law, ever. Most conferences have one and are loath to poke the bear and have one overturned in a suit.
If you think there's chaos now, imagine a GOR-less landscape where schools can go whenever and wherever they want, w/ no repercussions. I can't see how ESPN/FOX/NBC/Amazon et al, would ever allow that to be the norm.

Yeah I don't buy the GOR can be shot down at anytime logic.
As was pointed out before, Maryland left before the GoR was instituted, so the conference could only collect the exit fee.

Give FSU another $30 million per year from the SEC and give them an SEC home schedule and I think the competitive fires would be re-awakened at FSU. Heck they won the football championship in 2013 and they were ranked in the final top 10 four times from 2012 to 2016 and the other year they were ranked 14. They just need the right coach.
FSU’s troubles are recent and have nearly nothing to do with conference payouts. There was a serious disconnect and distrust between Jimbo, the Booster Club President and the AD. It was a toxic tussle to see who could assert more authority on the programs’ path. And it blew up. An extra $20M a year never hurts anyone, but it would not have saved FSU. And the Noles will be back. They’ve only been off the rails for ~5 years.

Last edited:
B12 statement:

Oklahoma and Texas are founding members of the Big 12 and we value their traditions and history of success. -

The eight members strongly desire to retain the current composition, which has proven it can compete at the highest levels.

There is a recognition that institutions may act in their own self-interest, however there is an expectation that members adhere to Conference bylaws and the enforcement of Grant of Rights agreements.

This is a time of dramatic change within intercollegiate athletics that presents both opportunities and challenges, and the Big 12 Conference looks forward to continuing to play a major role in its evolution.

Your wrong
A grant of rights means the publisher is the only one who can publish your content, but you still get paid for your content. No judge would uphold a contract in which someone provides content, but doesn’t get paid for it. Could there be a haircut to the revenues a school would receive if they left a conference? Sure, as there is a media value to having a school be the visiting team. If there is an exit fee associated with leaving a contract early, that is usually enforceable and it was with Maryland leaving the ACC and UConn leaving the AAC. And, you could define the exit fee as a multiple of annual conference media revenues.

The "2 divisions" rule is an NCAA construct. That organization may shortly not have the power to enforce such rules. If The Flying Emmerts even still exist.

The "2 divisions" rule is an NCAA construct. That organization may shortly not have the power to enforce such rules. If The Flying Emmerts even still exist.
It's an NCAA rule that has been modified by the special D1 committee so the Big XII could keep their championship game when the dropped top 10 members when folks left. That rule will continue even in a new organization if the SEC and B1G want it.

It's an NCAA rule that has been modified by the special D1 committee so the Big XII could keep their championship game when the dropped top 10 members when folks left. That rule will continue even in a new organization if the SEC and B1G want it.
Well, the way D-I college football works these days, everything depends upon what those two leagues want or don't want. :rolleyes:

A grant of rights means the publisher is the only one who can publish your content, but you still get paid for your content. No judge would uphold a contract in which someone provides content, but doesn’t get paid for it. Could there be a haircut to the revenues a school would receive if they left a conference? Sure, as there is a media value to having a school be the visiting team. If there is an exit fee associated with leaving a contract early, that is usually enforceable and it was with Maryland leaving the ACC and UConn leaving the AAC. And, you could define the exit fee as a multiple of annual conference media revenues.
Not necessarily directed at you but…pray tell, why then has a GOR never been challenged by any conference? Why would ESPN insist that the ACC get a GOR before they’d consent to a huge investment like the ACCN?
Why does every major conference, except for the SEC who boasts about not needing one, have a GOR? Why did the timing of this latest TX/OU saga coincide with the B12 GOR set to expire in 4 years, why didn’t they act before then if the GOR was not a true deterrent.
Speculation by fans about the effectiveness of GOR’s is fine, but I’ll stick to that old Bill Parcells adage: “You are, what your record says you are”. And frankly, the GOR record speaks for itself. JMHO

Last edited:
This isn’t as important as it was the last go round for us. We suck at football and really don’t have a chance of ever being good again. The program has been bottom quartile for the past 20 years. It’s over. Turn out the lights, or remain a bottom feeder in the ACC. Not much difference.

Basketball can survive anywhere. If the ACC lives or dies, it really doesn't matter. Top 50 team, and bubble come March. Kids will come to the Dome for a few more years unless Wildhack botches the hire.

NIL will kill some programs. Probably ours.

In the world of mega conferences, I think the Big 10 would be happy to expand their footprint into Florida, Georgia and/or South Carolina (with FSU, Clemson and Ga Tech), especially if that meant shaking loose elite academic institutions like North Carolina, Virginia and Duke from the ACC to add to the expansion. That’s what I was saying this morning. I agree that 20 team super leagues seem nutso but I don’t think it’s at all out of the realm of possibility. The Big 10 is gonna feel the need to keep up with the SEC long term. This is what I was saying this morning. Where I think we disagree is on GOR. I think that’s a big deterrent to going down the expansion road for these big conferences and schools.
I think the Big Ten would have its eyes on Virginia, North Carolina, and Georgia Tech. All three are premier large public institutions that are similar in size and scope to Big Ten schools. Then add Kansas to arrive at 18 schools

Your off. Just ask the artist who have had agreements upheld. In addition conferences not individual schools are contractually obligated to the media partner.
The ACC and ESPN are contractually obligated. Not the individual schools. If any member damaged the other members intentionally the negative financial consequences to the remaining members and the conference would be astronomical. Last point the school leaving would face potential lawsuits from the ACC, each of the other member institutions, ESPN, and potentially from the leagues players in all sports who entered into NIL contracts that would have diminished value.
So even if you are right which I don't believe you are. The monetary gain of the leaving member school would be exponentially deteriorated by the legal weight and eventual loss of the damage lawsuits incurred.

I don’t see any way where North Carolina leaves the ACC to play Midwest schools. We should be poaching from them. I’d take Penn State and another team. The Midwest is dying in regards to population and Delaney can’t control that. I’m not happy with how the new ACC commissioner responded to realignment recently by saying he likes the 15 teams….I hope he is just being vague and is the aggressor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom