Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC

Eventually, major college football will evolve into a national "SEC" - which will likely include Ohio State, Texas, Oklahoma, Oregon, Clemson and ND.

The appeal of the sport as a truly national competition - which doesn't exist anymore anyway - will suffer.

They can write their own TV contract if you add Texas/Oklahoma to what's already there. Would there be incremental value in adding anyone else that adds enough to the pot to still come out ahead after splitting it with teams 17 and beyond? I wouldn't think so.

Two, eight team divisions. Covers 7 league games. Rotate two others. 3 OOC. No conference can compete with that football lineup and that's where the $$$ are.

They would need pods can't keep rivalries with East - West split. Something like:

SEC West
Texas-Texas A&M-Oklahoma-Arkansas

SEC North
Mizzou-Kentucky-Tennessee-Vandy

SEC South
LSU-Ole Miss-Miss State-Bama

SEC East
Auburn-Florida-UGA-SC

It will be interesting to see where the Pac 12 falls into this as they were the conference that almost blew up the Big 12 ten years ago.

Why does ND need to be in a conference with Cincy to recruit Ohio? Why would they have any need to be aligned with Temple and UConn.

I love conference chatter, but none of this ACC stuff makes any sense to me.

I don't think they are joining but it would help them playing in Ohio to get Ohio kids. If they have a choice between going to a B1G school and playing local or going to a mostly Southern conference?

ND wants to play in the Northeast. The more options there the better.

The ACC wouldn't want a part of this. From ND's perspective wish list.

As fun as the conference expansion talk is, if true, this is not a good thing for the ACC. SEC would take another big leap ahead in revenue, exposure, recruiting etc. Getting ND to join is not going to be easy, or quick, and they may not join at all. ACC revenue currently lags SEC, Big 10 and the Pac 12 (I believe). The Big 10 could be next to expand to 16, and their revenue is enticing to many program, and they may first look to the ACC to poach for geographic and financial reasons. Why go after the Big 12 leftovers when you know they are still going to be there after you "shoot your shot", so to speak. There is far more risk than reward if this move comes to fruition for the ACC in my opinion and I personally hope it is nothing other than an unfounded rumor.

When has any conference ever truly gone all in on expansion? The Pac 10 tried it and failed miserably. The SEC ain't going to 18 or 20 in one fell swoop, come on.

The last time a major conference died another conference brought 4 of those teams on. In the recent expansions no conference died off. The B12 would die off if Texas and Oklahoma left. The other 8 schools would be looking for new homes. So it wouldn't be hard for the SEC to take another 1-2 of those.

WV would look to the ACC or AAC.
Iowa State would look to the B1G or AAC.
Kansas would look to the B1G or P12.
Kansas State would look to the P12 or AAC.
Oklahoma State would look to the P12 or AAC.
Baylor and TCU would likely be stuck with the MWC.
Texas Tech would look to the P12 or MWC.

Those 8 schools have too many weak football brands. There is no incentive for a MWC or AAC team to leave for the B12. It is still a strong BBall conference but is that enough to survive. Who is the cornerstone school trying to keep things together? Especially since everyone will be looking first to find a new home.

With the playoffs expanding there is no reason for ND to join the ACC or any other conference. They will be in the playoff field most years. If Texas thinks their Longhorn Network is the key to riches they should just go indy like ND with an alignment with another conference for their other sports in return for scheduling some football games. Oklahoma and OK State could go to the SEC. They might take State as the price to get the Sooners. I recall OK state legislature saying they would not allow OK State to be abandoned by OU.

2011 called...they want their Dude back!

Again GIF by memecandy

With the playoffs expanding there is no reason for ND to join the ACC or any other conference. They will be in the playoff field most years. If Texas thinks their Longhorn Network is the key to riches they should just go indy like ND with an alignment with another conference for their other sports in return for scheduling some football games. Oklahoma and OK State could go to the SEC. They might take State as the price to get the Sooners. I recall OK state legislature saying they would not allow OK State to be abandoned by OU.
It's not far fetched for Oklahoma/OK St to go to the Pac 12 either.

The Pac 12 would love Oklahoma and the Flagship/State School combo fits into their general model.

Oklahoma State releasing a statement. Must be some legs to this rumor or they wouldn't say anything.

ACC North: WVU, ND, Cuse, BC, Pitt, UVA, Va Tech, Lville
ACC South: Duke, UNC, NC State, Wake, GT, Clemson, FSU, Miami

nd would not be thrilled; I fully expect ND will reneg on its commitment to the acc when time comes and join the big ten

The last time a major conference died another conference brought 4 of those teams on. In the recent expansions no conference died off. The B12 would die off if Texas and Oklahoma left. The other 8 schools would be looking for new homes. So it wouldn't be hard for the SEC to take another 1-2 of those.

WV would look to the ACC or AAC.
Iowa State would look to the B1G or AAC.
Kansas would look to the B1G or P12.
Kansas State would look to the P12 or AAC.
Oklahoma State would look to the P12 or AAC.
Baylor and TCU would likely be stuck with the MWC.
Texas Tech would look to the P12 or MWC.

Those 8 schools have too many weak football brands. There is no incentive for a MWC or AAC team to leave for the B12. It is still a strong BBall conference but is that enough to survive. Who is the cornerstone school trying to keep things together? Especially since everyone will be looking first to find a new home.
I get all the conjecture and permutations.

My calculus is quite simple… what’s in it for a conference to add members?

Ultimately, if it’s not adding meaningful incremental revenue then there is no point. Weak football brands in small-to-medium markets don’t add said revenue to P5 conferences.

Texas isn’t going to screw ESPN.
ESPN now owns the SEC and ACC.

The SEC just signed it’s new TV deal they aren’t going to take Texas and Oklahoma.

This move is about Oklahoma trying to get Kevin Warren to wake up and offer Oklahoma.

I think Oklahoma and Kansas to the B1G.
Texas will become like Notre Dame with the ACC and the rest of the Big XII will merge with the best of the Mountain West and American conferences.

I just want WVU screwed because their internet fanbase tried to screw with the ACC.

Also Notre Dame will not join the Big Ten if they join a conference it will be the ACC.

The ACC footprint is more appealing.
Notre Dame isn’t all about the money. They know they will be fine financially in any conference and plus the ACC has done right by them.

nd would not be thrilled; I fully expect ND will reneg on its commitment to the acc when time comes and join the big ten
Read up on the ND vs B1G history dating back to when anti-Catholic bigotry was rampant in the early 20th century. It's unlikely ND would ever join the B1G. They have long memories and the move would alienate an enormous portion of their fanbase. Either they stay Indy and keep their deal w/ the ACC or go all-in and join the ACC since that would be most convenient and... they are contractually bound to do so.
The ACC GOR doesn't expire until 2036- so all this speculation about the SEC/B1G "poaching" UVA/FSU/UNC/Clemson is just that; Yoda/Dude-level speculation.
This is not your Daddy's 2011 expansion circus. We're in a safe spot as a conference and can pretty much let things play out before making a move. And watching WVU fans squirm, the same ones who took great joy in trying to undermine the ACC in the last expansion round, is well worth the price of admission.

Last edited:
UNC is the king of the ACC politically.
They have ceded to Clemson and Florida State in the past for a couple of football decisions but in the end they are the big dog of the ACC.
The only move the Big Ten could do is try and poach Florida State. I don’t see Florida State as loyal if push came to shove.
North Carolina and Virginia won’t leave the ACC unless it’s truly dead.
Virginia Tech should have the SEC target when they took Missouri.
Clemson won’t ever get into the SEC and I doubt the Big Ten would appeal to them.

UNC is the king of the ACC politically.
They have ceded to Clemson and Florida State in the past for a couple of football decisions but in the end they are the big dog of the ACC.
The only move the Big Ten could do is try and poach Florida State. I don’t see Florida State as loyal if push came to shove.
North Carolina and Virginia won’t leave the ACC unless it’s truly dead.
Virginia Tech should have the SEC target when they took Missouri.
Clemson won’t ever get into the SEC and I doubt the Big Ten would appeal to them.
I'm always fascinated by the "poach" narrative that emerges w/ expansion, like doing so is just a formality.
Not specifically addressed to you, Alsacs, but why would those ACC schools who are GOR bound till 2036, who are ACCN bound, and a ND who is also contractually bound to the conference, why would the B1G or anyone else look to test that legal barbed wire...on both sides?
It just doesn't make sense other than as a theme that's carried over from the last round of expansion, and some just refuse to let die. JMHO

I'm always fascinated by the "poach" narrative that emerges w/ expansion, like doing so is just a formality.
Not specifically addressed to you, Alsacs, but why would those ACC schools who are GOR bound till 2036, who are ACCN bound, and a ND who is also contractually bound to the conference, why would the B1G or anyone else look to test that legal barbed wire...on both sides?
It just doesn't make sense other than as a theme that's carried over from the last round of expansion, and some just refuse to let die. JMHO
The GOR have never been tested in courts.
Plus if a team truly wants to leave and isn’t going to back down the conference will always negotiate.

If the Big Ten approached Florida State and offered them and FSU wanted to leave.
The ACC and Florida State would cut a deal.

The question is does the Big Ten really want them. I highly doubt it but Florida State isn’t a school I would consider loyal. They would jump IMO if they got an offer to the SEC or B1G. Whereas I don’t think UNC or UVA would accept unless the ACC was dead.

Florida State seems poachable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom