Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC

Texas and Oklahoma aren't going to the SEC and be second fiddle to Alabama. ESPN and the longhorns network have something to say about that. Unless the SEC plans to go to at least 18 it isn't happening. The State legislators in both states won't approve.
Saban won't be there forever and while it's still Alabama whoever replaces him will never live up to the ridiculous standards they have now. Texas and Ou can go up against all the sec big boys in recruiting.

When is a conference not a conference? At some point it gets so big that it doesn't produce the rivalries that are the lifeblood of sports, especially college sports. Then it becomes a sort of mutual fund, with a large group of schools just sharing revenue. What would Kern Tipps think?

1626909158366.png

Give me 8 nine team conferences, each representing a sector of the country: The Big East, with the top football schools in the northeast, the ACC, from Virginia to Florida, the SEC for the deep South, the Great Lakes Conference, (the former Big Ten), the Great Plains Conference, (the former Big 8 +1), the Southwest Conference, the Rocky Mountain Conference and the West Coast Conference. You play everyone in your conference, half home and half away for football and a double round-robin for basketball. 8 pennant races, (remember them?) Head-to-head breaks ties. The 8 champions play off for the national championship.

Of course it will never happen for a lot of crummy reasons. But we can dream.

Texas comes with a lot of baggage with their own network and their delusions of grandeur. They run the Big 12 so they are allowed to do what they want there. But it will be interesting how they fit with the SEC.
I would think they would be better fit in the Pac 10. The Pac 10 would let them be the Texas they want to be…. Mostly because they need them more than the SEC needs them.

Texas and Oklahoma aren't going to the SEC and be second fiddle to Alabama. ESPN and the longhorns network have something to say about that. Unless the SEC plans to go to at least 18 it isn't happening. The State legislators in both states won't approve.

E62U5XfWEAkGLYh

Oklahoma and Texas wouldn’t be second fiddle to Alabama.
They would be in separate divisions.

Plus Texas is in bed with ESPN and so is the SEC.
Plus Oklahoma isn’t attached at the hip with Oklahoma State. They could whatever is in their own best interest if push came to shove.

When is a conference not a conference? At some point it gets so big that it doesn't produce the rivalries that are the lifeblood of sports, especially college sports. Then it becomes a sort of mutual fund, with a large group of schools just sharing revenue. What would Kern Tipps think?

View attachment 203708

Give me 8 nine team conferences, each representing a sector of the country: The Big East, with the top football schools in the northeast, the ACC, from Virginia to Florida, the SEC for the deep South, the Great Lakes Conference, (the former Big Ten), the Great Plains Conference, (the former Big 8 +1), the Southwest Conference, the Rocky Mountain Conference and the West Coast Conference. You play everyone in your conference, half home and half away for football and a double round-robin for basketball. 8 pennant races, (remember them?) Head-to-head breaks ties. The 8 champions play off for the national championship.

Of course it will never happen for a lot of crummy reasons. But we can dream.
Something like this…
CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT (72)
Notre Dame (South Bend)
Boston College (Boston)
Syracuse (Syracuse)
Rutgers (Piscataway)
Penn St (University Park)
Maryland (College Park)
Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh)
West Virginia (Morgantown)
Louisville (Louisville)

Virginia (Charlottesville)
North Carolina (Chapel Hill)
Duke (Durham)
Wake Forest (Winston Salem)
Vanderbilt (Nashville)
Clemson (Clemson)
Georgia Tech (Atlanta)
Florida St (Tallahassee)
Miami (Miami)

Kentucky (Lexington)
Virginia Tech (Blacksburg)
Tennessee (Knoxville)
North Carolina St (Raleigh)
South Carolina (Columbia)
Georgia (Athens)
Auburn (Auburn)
Alabama (Tuscaloosa)
Florida (Gainesville)

Mississippi (Oxford)
Mississippi St (Starkville)
Arkansas (Fayetteville)
LSU (Baton Rouge)
Oklahoma (Norman)
Oklahoma St (Stillwater)
Texas (Austin)
Texas A&M (College Station)
Texas Tech (Lubbock)

•Cincinnati (Cincinnati)
Ohio St (Columbus)
Michigan (Ann Arbor)
Michigan St (East Lansing)
Indiana (Bloomington)
Purdue (West Lafayette)
Northwestern (Evanston)
Illinois (Urbana Champaign)
Wisconsin (Madison)

Minnesota (Minneapolis)
Iowa (Iowa City)
Iowa St (Ames)
Missouri (Columbia)
Nebraska (Lincoln)
Kansas (Lawrence)
Kansas St (Manhattan)
Colorado (Boulder)
•Colorado St (Fort Collins)

Arizona (Tucson)
Arizona St (Tempe)
•UNLV (Las Vegas)
•Boise St (Boise)
Utah (Salt Lake City)
•BYU (Provo)
Baylor (Waco)
TCU (Fort Worth)
•Houston (Houston)

•San Diego St (San Diego)
USC (Los Angeles)
UCLA (Los Angeles)
Stanford (Palo Alto)
California (Berkeley)
Oregon (Eugene)
Oregon St (Corvallis)
Washington (Seattle)
Washington St (Pullman)

I hate the way so many college football fans passively watch this happen or, worse, cheer it on. These moves do nothing to improve the quality of the competition or the fan experience. They do nothing to help the players. It is all done so that coaches and administrators can make more money. In short, greed is the fuel driving this process. I was so impressed when English soccer fans, even the fans of teams that stood to benefit, angrily protested the proposed super league. American college football fans should feel the same way. Maybe I'm alone on this, but I think what happened to UConn and WVU after the fall of the Big East was terrible. While I want those teams to lose on the field or the court, I don't want them to become extinct. I hate conference realignment.

E62U5XfWEAkGLYh

Oklahoma and Texas wouldn’t be second fiddle to Alabama.
They would be in separate divisions.

Plus Texas is in bed with ESPN and so is the SEC.
Plus Oklahoma isn’t attached at the hip with Oklahoma State. They could whatever is in their own best interest if push came to shove.
Since both the ACC and SEC are in bed with ESPN I’d like to see NC State swapped for Vanderbilt. The ACC doesn’t need 4 schools in North Carolina and the SEC has duplicity in Tennessee with the Vols

WVU always seemed like an odd fit in the Big 12. Their natural place is with eastern football rivals.

TBH I kinda felt culturally they were like a Big 12 school. But they have the same travel problem that Penn St has in the B1G

A&M probably doesn’t have the capital to stop this then.

People seem to think Vandy would be a no again. And a whole group think Florida and Georgia would vote no because they are afraid of FSU and Georgia Tech being added down the road.

People seem to think Vandy would be a no again. And a whole group think Florida and Georgia would vote no because they are afraid of FSU and Georgia Tech being added down the road.
Texas and Oklahoma aren’t FSU and Tech.

I find it hard to believe A&M has the power to stop this.
As it could trigger Oklahoma to the Big Ten and Texas to the ACC/Independent.

That isn’t good business for the SEC.

TBH I kinda felt culturally they were like a Big 12 school. But they have the same travel problem that Penn St has in the B1G
Penn State fans certainly have a long trip if they're playing at Minnesota or Iowa, but for their opponents in their Big Ten division, it's pretty manageable. Rutgers and Maryland are very close and those areas are already inundated with PSU grads to begin with. Ohio State, Michigan and MSU are all within about a 6-7 hour drive.

The closest school to WVU is Iowa State almost 900 miles away. And a number of the Big 12 schools are in small towns without major airport access. I can't imagine the logistical planning WVU fans deal with to travel to away games.

Obviously the Big 12 move was necessary because the alternative was likely the AAC or Independent, but I hope one day down the road they can re-join their traditional rivals like us, Pitt, etc. I always enjoyed our rivalry with them.

The B12 GOR agreement expires on June 30th, 2025.

Will the ACC try and get these schools instead?

It might be good for ACC revenues but as a fan, I don’t want schools from outside of the Eastern time zone in the conference. Take WVU if doing so will give the ACC schools a significant bump in revenues.

Vandy isn’t going to leave the SEC and that insane revenue to join the ACC. They are part owners of the SEC network. They are in that conference for life. Same goes for B2G schools. The only schools that could change conferences are in the B12.

Poach WVU, send ND a fruit basket, and let's get this done.
What is with this love affair with the couch-burners? We just got rid of one set and you want to bring in another? WVU brings terrible Olympic sports, the worst fans in college sports, and no sets of eyes. If ND joins the ACC we could go to a 2-6-6 schedule and not need a 16th team.

Last edited:
Texas is the biggest $$ machine in all of college football(making over $30M more than #2) I can see them wanting to be in the top conference, as everything lines up for the future. (NiL, paying players, super conference)

In '18, we were #45 in revenue, ahead of ACC GT, UNC, Duke, Pitt, BC, Virginia, WF.

What is with this love affair with the couch-burners? We just got rid of one set and you want to bring in another? WVU brings terrible Olympic sports, the worst fans in college sports, and no sets of eyes. If ND joins the ACC we could go to a 2-6-6 schedule and not need a 16th team.
SU fans don’t really understand expansion that well and the crap WVU has done in it.

I want no part of them for that.
SU fans just remember the BE rivalry games.

Screw WVU.
When the Big XII burns they will be in the American.

The ACC just has to sit back and watch the chips fall as long as FSU isn’t poached the ACC will only come out stronger when the Big XII is swallowed up.

The 7 non KU-OU-Texas Big XII schools won’t get paid in a new TV contract.
The PAC-12 wouldn’t want them.

Syracuse and Pitt have history with WVU.

And the ACC will win the Rifle Championships every year.

I've said this before. One of our board gurus who is in a position to know says that Texas was offered the ND deal by the ACC before it was offered to ND. They turned it down. They would not turn it down if offered again. I mentioned this on the hard-core ND board. They said they would jump with both feet at the chance to schedule Texas every year if Texas became an independent.

Last edited:
I've said this before. One of our board gurus who is in a po9sition to know says that Texas was offered the ND deal by the ACC before it was offered to ND. They turned it down. They would not turn it down if offered again. I mentioned this on the hard-core ND board. They said they would jump with both feet at the chance to schedule Texas every year if Texas became an independent.
Texas doesn’t need the other Big XIi Texas schools like they think they do.

Texas can always replace games in the Olympic sports from Baylor,Texas Tech and TCU for Rice, Houston, SMU, UTEP.

That is why those schools don’t get it that if they don’t keep Texas happy it’s game over for them.

Texas could do the ND deal with the ACC get games with ND annually, some of those Texas schools, another P5 home/home and 5 ACC teams.

Pete's adding a few more snippets before releasing his article.

Texas isn’t going to screw ESPN.
ESPN now owns the SEC and ACC.

The SEC just signed it’s new TV deal they aren’t going to take Texas and Oklahoma.

This move is about Oklahoma trying to get Kevin Warren to wake up and offer Oklahoma.

I think Oklahoma and Kansas to the B1G.
Texas will become like Notre Dame with the ACC and the rest of the Big XII will merge with the best of the Mountain West and American conferences.

I just want WVU screwed because their internet fanbase tried to screw with the ACC.
Oklahoma to the B1G. Thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom