Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC

The only thing I can see stopping this is Greg Abbott, the Governor of Texas. Not saying he will, but based on the momentum we're hearing, it could be that only the government could stop this.

The only thing I can see stopping this is Greg Abbott, the Governor of Texas. Not saying he will, but based on the momentum we're hearing, it could be that only the government could stop this.
I highly doubt the governor would be the one to stop it. More likely the Texas legislature which controls the purse strings of aid the university could likely ask for.

This is pretty much a done deal happening now though IMO.

I believe this leak came from A&M to a reporter they knew to try and stop what they knew was going to happen.

I'm not sure what he could do. This isn't a Mark Warner perfect storm. Already know Texas A&M will vote no.

If this happens, Texas Tech, Baylor and TCU are in a tough spot. Big 12 could add Houston and Cincy in short order, maybe even try a volume play to 12 and take 2 of Boise State, UCF, Memphis, San Diego State to expand their footprint. Do their best to survive it, but they'll always be looking over their shoulder.

I highly doubt the governor would be the one to stop it. More likely the Texas legislature which controls the purse strings of aid the university could likely ask for.

This is pretty much a done deal happening now though IMO.

I believe this leak came from A&M to a reporter they knew to try and stop what they knew was going to happen.

Anything the legislature does would have to be signed off by Abbott, but point taken. But, here's something about TX legislature, it only meets once every two years and only for a few months. Normal session ended May 31st. There's a special session right now, but it's focus is on the voting legislation that the dems have skipped out on. This will be the last thing on their mind.

Doesn’t Houston jump into the Big 12. I would think that helps smooth the legislature issues if another Texas school moved up

SU fans don’t really understand expansion that well and the crap WVU has done in it.

I want no part of them for that.
SU fans just remember the BE rivalry games.

Screw WVU.
When the Big XII burns they will be in the American.

The ACC just has to sit back and watch the chips fall as long as FSU isn’t poached the ACC will only come out stronger when the Big XII is swallowed up.

The 7 non KU-OU-Texas Big XII schools won’t get paid in a new TV contract.
The PAC-12 wouldn’t want them.
WVU is a class institution with some incredible alumni that cross over into Cuse fanhood.

DISCLAIMER: My sample size may be limited.

I think most people are missing the big picture with conference realignment. The days of captive cable subs paying for ESPN and conference networks are coming to an end. The future is streaming and does your school have enough fans that will purchase your school‘s content. There are many schools that are conference freeloaders who could face a tough future as schools focus on revenues. The Big 10 grabbed Rutgers based on the revenue they bring with captive cable subs, which are now in a clear LT decline. In other words, Rutgers value to the Big 10 probably peaked in year 1 as Rutgers fans would probably not bring the same amount of revenue in a streaming world.

Doesn’t Houston jump into the Big 12. I would think that helps smooth the legislature issues if another Texas school moved up
The problem for the Big XII is they won’t have a TV deal after 2025 and they wouldn’t be able make a lot of money in the new deal.
Plus the American teams signed a deal to stay together which is why UConn went independent.

Anything the legislature does would have to be signed off by Abbott, but point taken. But, here's something about TX legislature, it only meets once every two years and only for a few months. Normal session ended May 31st. There's a special session right now, but it's focus is on the voting legislation that the dems have skipped out on. This will be the last thing on their mind.
Well, we've covered the Texas legislature. What about the Oklahoma legislature?

The Big Ten reaction is key.
I doubt ND shakes loose.
So Kansas makes some sense for them but what other team could they absorb?

Big XII is done.
200.gif

If the SEC goes to 16, and the ACC goes to 16, and the B1G goes to 16,

who does the PAC12 grab?

I think most people are missing the big picture with conference realignment. The days of captive cable subs paying for ESPN and conference networks are coming to an end. The future is streaming and does your school have enough fans that will purchase your school‘s content. There are many schools that are conference freeloaders who could face a tough future as schools focus on revenues. The Big 10 grabbed Rutgers based on the revenue they bring with captive cable subs, which are now in a clear LT decline. In other words, Rutgers value to the Big 10 probably peaked in year 1 as Rutgers fans would probably not bring the same amount of revenue in a streaming world.
But they also grabbed Rutgers (and Maryland) to keep Penn State from developing wandering eyes. Maryland was in such bad financial shape they'd take an offer that even sounded that good.

Something like this…
CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT (72)
Notre Dame (South Bend)
Boston College (Boston)
Syracuse (Syracuse)
Rutgers (Piscataway)
Penn St (University Park)
Maryland (College Park)
Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh)
West Virginia (Morgantown)
Louisville (Louisville)

Virginia (Charlottesville)
North Carolina (Chapel Hill)
Duke (Durham)
Wake Forest (Winston Salem)
Vanderbilt (Nashville)
Clemson (Clemson)
Georgia Tech (Atlanta)
Florida St (Tallahassee)
Miami (Miami)

Kentucky (Lexington)
Virginia Tech (Blacksburg)
Tennessee (Knoxville)
North Carolina St (Raleigh)
South Carolina (Columbia)
Georgia (Athens)
Auburn (Auburn)
Alabama (Tuscaloosa)
Florida (Gainesville)

Mississippi (Oxford)
Mississippi St (Starkville)
Arkansas (Fayetteville)
LSU (Baton Rouge)
Oklahoma (Norman)
Oklahoma St (Stillwater)
Texas (Austin)
Texas A&M (College Station)
Texas Tech (Lubbock)

•Cincinnati (Cincinnati)
Ohio St (Columbus)
Michigan (Ann Arbor)
Michigan St (East Lansing)
Indiana (Bloomington)
Purdue (West Lafayette)
Northwestern (Evanston)
Illinois (Urbana Champaign)
Wisconsin (Madison)

Minnesota (Minneapolis)
Iowa (Iowa City)
Iowa St (Ames)
Missouri (Columbia)
Nebraska (Lincoln)
Kansas (Lawrence)
Kansas St (Manhattan)
Colorado (Boulder)
•Colorado St (Fort Collins)

Arizona (Tucson)
Arizona St (Tempe)
•UNLV (Las Vegas)
•Boise St (Boise)
Utah (Salt Lake City)
•BYU (Provo)
Baylor (Waco)
TCU (Fort Worth)
•Houston (Houston)

•San Diego St (San Diego)
USC (Los Angeles)
UCLA (Los Angeles)
Stanford (Palo Alto)
California (Berkeley)
Oregon (Eugene)
Oregon St (Corvallis)
Washington (Seattle)
Washington St (Pullman)
Can we trade Lville for Cincy?

But they also grabbed Rutgers (and Maryland) to keep Penn State from developing wandering eyes. Maryland was in such bad financial shape they'd take an offer that even sounded that good.
End of the day, think about this. Is a Syracuse/Clemson football game more valuable than a Syracuse/ Wake Forest football game? Obviously, the Syracuse/Clemson game has more value. If schools had to negotiate their own media rights, which could be coming, conference math changes considerably.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom