Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC | Page 36 | Syracusefan.com

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC

The American is going to pickup the Big XII scraps.

As again ESPN owns that conference and will give them a slight bump up in an annual payouts to take the leftovers from the Big XII.
The Big Ten won’t take any of the Big XII teams.
Neither will the ACC.
It’s the PAC-12 that will consider it but the ones not selected will probably end up in the American.

ACC and PAC 12 should be divying up Big 12 remnants

ACC take WVU, Kansas, Kansas State, and add Cincy

PAC 12 take Baylor, Tech, Ok State, TCU

Iowa State can go to Big Ten and Big Ten can add Buffalo or Memphis, Tulsa, and Houston
You are missing the point of what is going on right now. The goal is to add schools that enhance your conference's value not add schools to get to a certain number. The Big 12 left behind schools are trying to bolt because they know their new media value is close to the AAC media value, so how do they add any value to the Pac 12 or ACC? Didn't the Iowa State AD say at one time if Texas and Oklahoma left the Big 12, we are the Mountain West Conference? Is ESPN going to increase ACC per school payouts by 30%+ by adding WVU, Kansas, KSU, and Cincy? Of courser not, so why add them?

One way or another, the ACC needs to figure out how to increase media rights revenues in a significant way as it is now clear that locking in the LT ACC media contract revenues is a big problem for some schools. GORs or not, I just can't see how Clemson and Florida St. can afford to get left behind financially when their peer football schools are getting significantly more money.

It seems pretty obvious to me that the B1G is gonna make a play in the next few years for UNC, UVA, Duke, Ga Tech, Clemson, and Florida State or Miami. That would be their best move. Makes the football and academic sides both happy and expands the conference into the southeast. Question will be getting the Big 10 stakeholders to buy into such a massive expansion—which will be necessary to pry loose UNC and UVA. I def fear for the future of Syracuse football if this happens. I think the ACC has to go on the offensive and think big—like somehow securing ND and then making a pitch to Penn State and Maryland that they’d both be more competitive in the ACC, be a better geographic and cultural fit, and with the addition of ND the TV $$$ would be better than the B1G.
The BT has always - ALWAYS - acted to do two things: be the richest and restrict competition (always to get richer and get more awards). That's the reason for both the unofficial Michigan-led boycott of ND and bribing the Pac to close the Rose Bowl. The BT DNA says that with Texas and OU off the board to the SEC, the only league capable of being richer than the BT, the BT will act before too long to try to get into the ACC and the South.

I doubt that the SEC will sit back and allow the BT to just keep trying to lure ACC teams and thereby get planted in the South. So I expect the SEC, at some point no later than its first whiff that the BT is active, to make it clear to UNC and UVA that if they do not wish to be in the SEC, the SEC will take NCSU and VT. And the SEC also would take Clemson and FSU, to keep the BT out of the deep South.

Any UNC or UVA fan who thinks his football team will be relevant even 2 years after it joins the BT and its in-state rival joins the SEC is a damned fool.

The SEC will stress that.

UNC will hold firm to do everything to save the ACC, but if Clemson and FSU are leaving for the SEC, then ACC football will be dealt a death blow. They simply cannot be replaced, because they have the most football history and they have the two largest fan bases.

If the ACC wants Notre Dame I think they should try and get West Virginia too. You then sell Notre Dame on being the highest profile program in the ACC North with:

Notre Dame
WVU
Syracuse
Pitt
BC
VPI
Louisville
Virginia?

South:

Clemson
UNC
WFU
NC State
Duke
Miami
FSU
Georgia Tech

Of course ESPN is behind this.
They own the SEC fully now.
Getting Texas and Oklahoma into the SEC gives ESPN all of those teams home games whereas in the Big XII the football contract is divided between ESPN and Fox.

Fox has had the Texas-Oklahoma game several times in recent years.
ESPN is clearly screwing the Big XII for that reason.

ESPN is also part of the reason the ACC survived the Big Ten onslaught last cycle.

I know all conferences need bottom feeders my point was basically telling the ND fan you guys act like you are above being partners with teams below you when other blue bloods do exactly that.

I don’t expect Notre Dame to bail out the ACC. I just want them to be forced to make a decision. Enough status quo crap. If they want to join the Big Ten then let them out of the agreement with the ACC and do it.
Circumstances will force ND. Because ND will not risk seeing its football lose status, ND football will be a full member of a conference for football sooner rather than later. The SEC taking Texas and OU is going to force the issue, because the BT will not take that blow and sit still.

If the ACC wants Notre Dame I think they should try and get West Virginia too. You then sell Notre Dame on being the highest profile program in the ACC North with:

Notre Dame
WVU
Syracuse
Pitt
BC
VPI
Louisville
Virginia?

South:

Clemson
UNC
WFU
NC State
Duke
Miami
FSU
Georgia Tech
ND has 0 interest in playing WVU. Morgantown is 80 miles from Pittsburgh, and Pitt is a very old ND rival.

You are missing the point of what is going on right now. The goal is to add schools that enhance your conference's value not add schools to get to a certain number. The Big 12 left behind schools are trying to bolt because they know their new media value is close to the AAC media value, so how do they add any value to the Pac 12 or ACC? Didn't the Iowa State AD say at one time if Texas and Oklahoma left the Big 12, we are the Mountain West Conference? Is ESPN going to increase ACC per school payouts by 30%+ by adding WVU, Kansas, KSU, and Cincy? Of courser not, so why add them?

One way or another, the ACC needs to figure out how to increase media rights revenues in a significant way as it is now clear that locking in the LT ACC media contract revenues is a big problem for some schools. GORs or not, I just can't see how Clemson and Florida St. can afford to get left behind financially when their peer football schools are getting significantly more money.
Aren't there look ins during the contract?

{snip}
Ohio State doesn’t need Purdue or Minnesota.
Clemson doesn’t need Syracuse or Wake Forest.
Alabama doesn’t need Vanderbilt or Ole Miss.

USC doesn’t need Oregon State or Washington State.
{snip}
I beg to differ. They desperately need those teams. They need the near-guaranteed W. The NCAA doesn't have tie games anymore; you either win or lose. All of those team would prefer to win. If Texas and Oklahoma do join the SEC and someone has to lose, and, since the New Two are better than and will bump a bunch of weak teams on the SEC powers' schedules, teams that go into most of their games not expecting to lose are going to face a new reality, more games that they can lose.

WVU potentially not being in a P5 conference anymore is good for SU football. I don't want them in the ACC, play them in OOO with Rutgers, UConn, etc.

The long term play should be IMO to bring in ND and Navy, and then try to pick off Penn St and Maryland from the B1G.

WVU potentially not being in a P5 conference anymore is good for SU football. I don't want them in the ACC, play them in OOO with Rutgers, UConn, etc.

The long term play should be IMO to bring in ND and Navy, and then try to pick off Penn St and Maryland from the B1G.
Counterpoint. I think the best thing for SU is a strong ACC. I think a strong ACC means as many good football programs as possible. I think WVU makes the ACC stronger.

Not a fan of Navy unless you are thinking Navy would deliver ND (I dont)

Sources: Despite Big 12 meeting Sunday, Texas and OU still to notify league Monday they won't renew GOR​

Despite a Big 12 executive committee meeting on Sunday that included Texas president Jay Hartzell and Oklahoma president Joe Harroz, Texas and OU are still expected to notify the Big 12 on Monday that the league's two founding members won't be renewing their grant of rights in the Big 12 when those rights expire at the end of the 2024-25 school year, a high-ranking source close to the situation told Horns247.

That notification is the first step in Texas and Oklahoma then being considered for admission to the Southeastern Conference, a process "that could move quickly," the source said.

One source close to the situation said Sunday's meeting was more of a "listening session" for Hartzell and Harroz as members of the executive committee talked about several things, including the possibility of an increased share of revenue for Texas and Oklahoma.

Sources: Despite Big 12 meeting Sunday, Texas and OU still to notify league Monday they won't renew GOR

Well then the ACC should make a play for Michigan Michigan State Ohio State and Penn State, Wisconsin

Those five in one division with Syracuse Pitt and ND, BC, Ville

Everyone else in other division

Wake, Duke, UNC, vatech, Virginia, Clemson, gatech, fsu, Miami, nc state

Bc, Ville, cuse, Pitt, ND, Michigan, msu, osu, psu Wisconsin

Last edited:
I think I’ve read 3-4 times now about bringing PSU to ACC. What? Why would any school in the b10 leave for the ACC. It makes zero sense whatsoever. They’re going to leave huge $ and take a massive paycut. Seriously, that makes sense?

Counterpoint. I think the best thing for SU is a strong ACC. I think a strong ACC means as many good football programs as possible. I think WVU makes the ACC stronger.

Not a fan of Navy unless you are thinking Navy would deliver ND (I dont)

I don't think adding WVU is moving the needle enough to keep Clemson/FSU happy, adding ND will. Obviously inviting Navy alone isn't going to convince ND to join, but you use that card and try to work out other arrangements that could ultimately get ND in.

Apparently Fox might play a big role in B1G expansion and will want the B1G to add the Pac-12 Cali schools (USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford) and consolidate those brands. Penn St and Maryland aren't going to want to travel even further when they can join the ACC and recruit more in the Southeast. But they're obviously not leaving the B1G money for the current ACC w/ no ND.

Last edited:
I think I’ve read 3-4 times now about bringing PSU to ACC. What? Why would any school in the b10 leave for the ACC. It makes zero sense whatsoever. They’re going to leave huge $ and take a massive paycut. Seriously, that makes sense?
I have no idea how tv contracts works, but if the ACC were able to get PSU, would the conference be able to redo a deal? Would that new deal be close enough to justify PSU leaving a conference they don’t really care for lately? Would a PSU help the ACC get ND full member or make a play for a disenchanted SEC team?

None of these moves are done in a vacuum. They are typically just part of the vision.

My prediction is that the Big Ten will offer some combination of Virginia, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, Clemson, and the ACC will start looking like the big 12 really quick.

I have no idea how tv contracts works, but if the ACC were able to get PSU, would the conference be able to redo a deal? Would that new deal be close enough to justify PSU leaving a conference they don’t really care for lately? Would a PSU help the ACC get ND full member or make a play for a disenchanted SEC team?

None of these moves are done in a vacuum. They are typically just part of the vision.
A visions by fans spitballing on a weekend, on the internets. PSU isn’t leaving the b10. Do I think that would be a good move, yes. But it makes as little sense as adding USC individually or thinking Texas would come to the ACC.

I'm with you on this. No B10 team would leave for the ACC. Unless the B10 became unstable and that will not happen.

Mannnn I do not like any of this at all.. it’s leaving a sour taste in my mouth.. this is a slippery slope that could lead to the demise of college football (as a school sport ) as we know it. I don’t know why texas or Oklahoma would even want to go to the sec there gonna Have a rude awakening being in a stacked conference. Yea I get money but those programs are use to major winning seasons good luck with that in a cannabalistic super conference. It’s getting to a place where this is all so crazy that it’s not even fun anymore. These people have gone nuts with power

I don't see the B10 standing still . They only have two blue-bloods. Mich and OSU. They have a few perennially decent teams like Penn St and Wisc. That is nowhere near Texas, OU, Bama, UGA, Florida, LSU, Auburn and A&M.

I'm with you on this. No B10 team would leave for the ACC. Unless the B10 became unstable and that will not happen.

I’ve said this since yesterday. I think the only play the ACC has right now (assuming ND isn’t joining) is convincing the B10 to be the front runner and not let the SEC do it first and create a super conference, combing the ACC/b10. I think what has a chance to sell this is: making sure the SEC doesn’t force the b10’s hand down the road - being proactive and if the ACC/b10 combined they could force ND to join the super conference. If ND doesn’t, they’d have the clout to tell ND they wont schedule any ACC/B10 games with ND once their GOR with ACC ends. It’ll force ND to join IMO

If ACC stands pat through all of this, we’re basically in the old BE. SEC and B10 are going to just pick the conference apart. ACC is done IMO if it can’t figure out something big.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom