Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC | Page 52 | Syracusefan.com

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC

Turkey Hill > Stewarts

Finally a reason to wade into this quagmire.

No. Stewarts ice cream is much better (I eat a lot of friggin ice cream). Turkey Hill has the edge on lemonade. Lemon Tea is a push.

Also, here's something strange - I noticed Turkey Hill is selling Cumberland Farm's coffee. (where's the shrugging emoji?)

Woah. Home - EG America

Last edited:
Depends on what content conferences are looking for and what. if any, non football content they'd be looking to add. Big gap of 7-8 non football months for networks and conferences if they solely focus on football.

A few schools , like Cuse (31.7m), make more/same money in basketball than a some P5 schools in football (West Virginia $25 million, Rutgers $27 million, Wake Forest $27 million, Vanderbilt $32 million, Boston College $32.3 million). Adding football and basketball revenue together and Cuse are within 10% of Clemson 75m vs 81m interestingly enough.

Granted SEC only really care about football but not certain its the same for the rest.

I’m not sure it’s a given that ACC basketball in its current form is far and away better than the SEC moving forward. And in SEC country when basketball wraps up it’s spring football to college baseball to preseason discussion and all of a sudden it’s Week 1.

Coach K, Roy, Pitino, JB in the next few years stepping down all raise some fairly large questions for their respective programs and their ability to help the ACC maintain their status. Those questions paired with some of these SEC programs trending in the right direction and now Texas and OU coming into the picture and ACC may not have a far and away edge much longer.

The article misses the ENTIRE point, imo.

Legislation introduced May 27th for college athletes to unionize, and become employees. Other legislation for them to receive a percentage of conference income. Its coming.

If you want to guarantee relevancy, and get the best players, you MUST be in the conference that can compensate players the most. That wasn't the B12. It makes perfect sense for them to partner with the SEC. Partnering with schools that can't bring that value makes no sense, unless you intentionally want to only get 2cnd tier players.
Maybe. But it’s more far off then you’re alluding to. It will take time to get that passed.

Maybe but presume Texas legislators also aren't going to let aTm potentially surpass UT. In that scenario why would TT be the one and what would become of Baylor, and TCU?

In that scenario SEC could add Okie and Okie State to go to 16 and Texas, TT, Baylor and TCU could go to the PAC but the only real winner there would be the Oklahoma schools. BUT why would the SEC make a move that didn't involve Texas?

There is always the option for Texas and Oklahoma to go independent (ala Notre Dame) is the SEC move doesn't come to fruition but the Big 12 is, and has been, a dying conference. Losing aTm and replacing with WVU will do these sorts of things.
There’s a limit to what the Texas legislature can do right now. It meets in regular session every 2 years, and that session is over. They’ve called a special session that’s on now, but under Texas law it can only consider changes to the election laws because that’s the specified purpose of the session. It is very doubtful that the leaders of the legislature would adjourn the current special session and reconvene just to take up UT’s departure from the Big XII.

Baylor and TCU are private schools so less pain politically if they're left behind. Baylor has powerful friends that saved them once before but I wouldn't necessarily count on it again. At the time that the SWC blew up, the governor and I want to say the speaker of the house were both Baylor grads and threatened to hold up UT and TAMU's move if they didn't include Baylor.
This is correct, both were Baylor alums. The original invitee was supposed to be TCU.

I’m not sure it’s a given that ACC basketball in its current form is far and away better than the SEC moving forward. And in SEC country when basketball wraps up it’s spring football to college baseball to preseason discussion and all of a sudden it’s Week 1.

Coach K, Roy, Pitino, JB in the next few years stepping down all raise some fairly large questions for their respective programs and their ability to help the ACC maintain their status. Those questions paired with some of these SEC programs trending in the right direction and now Texas and OU coming into the picture and ACC may not have a far and away edge much longer.

We talking product on the court or revenue? Would agree on the first but on the revenue side it's a big gap and the ACC is king followed by the Big 10.

College Basketball Revenue Rankings For Top 55 Programs

Aside from Kentucky, SEC hoops teams are down with the mid majors. Also don't see a ton of potential growth for basketball revenue in SEC country as folks down there simply don't really care. East coast and Midwest by contrast basketball is a big time interest. Bit opposite of recruiting talent wise as well where South has majority of the top prospects vs basketball which is East and North. Makes sense too given kids in the south can play outdoor sports year round vs colder areas where lot of kids play basketball year round.

Maybe. But it’s more far off then you’re alluding to. It will take time to get that passed.
Sure, but its happening. 4 years? In 2024/2025? They've guaranteed themselves a seat at the new table.

I suspect a school like Clemson, and others, Will be suing the Arse outta the ACC. The terms they signed that contract with will have been completely changed by that legislation.

It’s a done deal Oklahoma and Texas are going to the SEC.

The SEC and ESPN are in tandem on this.
It's not a done deal if the playoffs are only expanded to eight teams. We will not hear anything about UT & OU going to the SEC until the playoff expansion is announced. If it is only eight teams there is no reason for the move as it will make it much harder for UT & OU to get to the playoffs. In addition, it will make ND have to really consider joining a conference as their window to get in shrinks considerably.

Sure, but its happening. 4 years? In 2024/2025? They've guaranteed themselves a seat at the new table.

I suspect a school like Clemson, and others, Will be suing the Arse outta the ACC. The terms they signed that contract with will have been completely changed by that legislation.
I wouldn’t count on any of that happening, but if it does, sure all kinds of things will happen and none of it good for the sport nationally.

So, when will the vote occur? I can't wait to see who is a yes and who is a no. The schadenfreude of UT being rejected by the SEC would be further enhanced by what would certainly a courtship by the ACC. This is going to be fun!

Slow news season so media outlets need to manufacture clicks.

Realistically the outcome this round is SEC to 16 teams with Texas and Oklahoma and the rest of the big 12 just kind of goes away as it becomes P4 and G6. Aside from those 2 aforementioned there isn't much else in the Big 12 for other conferences to really desire. Maybe Big 10 adds Kansas for hoops and has to take KSU with them but Okie State, Texas Tech, Iowa State, etc. don't really fit the profile of other major conferences much less the foot prints sans Iowa State. Is it really worth adding all that travel for non revenue sports to have the Red Raiders in your conference? Do they move the needle enough in revenue sports?
This is by far the most likely outcome for the near-to-mid term.

The Pac 12 is desperate because of how badly they've bungled their TV network. So there's a chance they take a flier on expanding with some of the remnant B12 teams. But honestly there are more attractive options in the Mountain West if they really want to add programs.

I'd guess that we'll see most of the Remnant 8 move to the Mountain West and American.

It's not a done deal if the playoffs are only expanded to eight teams. We will not hear anything about UT & OU going to the SEC until the playoff expansion is announced. If it is only eight teams there is no reason for the move as it will make it much harder for UT & OU to get to the playoffs. In addition, it will make ND have to really consider joining a conference as their window to get in shrinks considerably.

It’s a done deal. I don’t get how you can’t admit that. They wouldn’t deny them membership and then let them go to the Big Ten and into Fox hands.
This is being done because the SEC will be compensated by ESPN for it.

In thinking this all through would it truly be a bad thing if the SEC became the NFL's minor league and the rest of college football was simply college football?
The problem is there wouldn’t be a complete break. We’d still have to play them, they’d be bigger bullies than they already are, and the’d dictate terms to keep us down. Plus, they are d$&ks

FWIW, I peg the year I really started following college football in earnest as 1984. Forgive me, but I was a BC fan back then (grew up in Mass. and my next-door neighbor was the VP of Student Affairs there). This is the conference landscape that year:

Seven 'major' conferences (SEC, Pac-10, ACC, SWC, Big 8, Big Ten, WAC) all between 8 and 10 schools. Plus there were 21 indies, which were roughly aligned as northeast and southern quasi-conferences, since schools tended to schedule with others in their respective region.

I'm not in any way a guy who pines for the old days, I believe in progress and change. So its with that background that I say that today's landscape kinda sucks in comparison.

This is by far the most likely outcome for the near-to-mid term.

The Pac 12 is desperate because of how badly they've bungled their TV network. So there's a chance they take a flier on expanding with some of the remnant B12 teams. But honestly there are more attractive options in the Mountain West if they really want to add programs.

I'd guess that we'll see most of the Remnant 8 move to the Mountain West and American.

Pac 12 is in a weird scenario do to geography. They can't really add anyone worth adding within reasonable distance but also they are safe from being poached for the same reason otherwise UW, Quackers, USC, and maybe even Utah would be in these convo's.

It’s a done deal. I don’t get how you can’t admit that. They wouldn’t deny them membership and then let them go to the Big Ten and into Fox hands.
This is being done because the SEC will be compensated by ESPN for it.
Did you even read my reply? I stated that it may not be in the best interest of UT & OU to go to the SEC if there is only an eight team playoff. It will be WAY harder for them to get there then staying in the BIG12. Doesn't mean they won't but it is far from over...but of course, I am not on the SEC board as you are.

Pac 12 is in a weird scenario do to geography. They can't really add anyone worth adding within reasonable distance but also they are safe from being poached for the same reason otherwise UW, Quackers, USC, and maybe even Utah would be in these convo's.
The end all will be 2 power conference's, about 20 teams each. Can't see anyplace for anyone from the east except PSU and Pitt in that scenario.

Did you even read my reply? I stated that it may not be in the best interest of UT & OU to go to the SEC if there is only an eight team playoff. It will be WAY harder for them to get there then staying in the BIG12. Doesn't mean they won't but it is far from over...but of course, I am not on the SEC board as you are.
You have no clue if it will be harder.
The Big XII champion wasn’t getting into the 4 team playoff with more than 1 loss.
The SEC will start getting multiple teams into the playoffs every year.

In an 8 team playoff you or I don’t know how many automatic berths there will be.
The SEC will get atleast 2 teams a year in an 8 team playoff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom