Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC | Page 54 | Syracusefan.com

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC

Let's be honest Syracuse hasn't been relevant in football since McNabb left. We had one or two good years. If ESPN kills off the ACC along with the Big 12. We will be left without a place to go.

As much as we hate on Gross, and for good reason, if he was able to somehow get the "NY college team" thing to stick, and there was at least some legit claim we could deliver that market, it would make us an asset even with our ineptitude

I think some are highly overvaluing UNC's worth. They were in middle of the pack for ACC revenue amongst the public schools in 2019. In fact Virginia beat them.
UNC is by far the most valuable ACC program.
They own the state of NC which is one of the fastest growing states in the union.

They bring elite brand and are popular nationally.
They have neglected football for far too long.
But they would be the SEC and B1G’s first pick if they could get any non-ND ACC team.

UNC is a gold mine.
They sell more merchandise than almost any school.
Plus Mac Brown is actually going to build UNC football back up. They are a sleeping giant because of their brand, campus, colors and recruiting ability.
UNC would require UVA to go anywhere.
UNC after ND is by far the most valuable brand in the ACC.
The SEC or Big Ten would take UNC tomorrow if they would commit.
Yes, UNC is the nation's biggest sleeping giant in football. It always has been. For most of UNC football history, the administration has acted to hold football down. That was especially true starting in 1950 (after UNC had been to 3 consecutive New Year's Day bowls) and running until 1967.

Yes, UNC is the most important school in the ACC. ND would be able to make that claim only if it becomes full member in football. The best thing for the ACC about UNC is that in most ways, UNC is the anti-Texas. Texas did little to nothing to save the SWC and cared nothing that half the members lost Major Conference status when the SWC died. Texas has done next to nothing to save the Big 12 and cares nada about the 8 left behind. UNC, in contrast, has always fought tooth and nail to advance the ACC and protect each of its members from being left behind. Both BT and SEC fans make fun of the ACC, and usually attack UNC, for keeping teeny tiny Wake.

The bad part about UNC is that its refusal to maximize its football has meant that ACC football has been held back, which has kept the league from maximizing its earning potential, which means it at times becomes shaky. I think the UNC administration finally has learned the lesson. Either UNC goes all in for Big Time football, or the ACC almost certainly gets gored.

UNC would require both UVA (The South's Oldest Rivalry) and Dook to go anywhere. UNC almost certainly also would demand another 3 or ACC schools, trying to save as many as possible. My advice would be to leave NCSU as far behind as possible. I respect UVA and Dook as hated rivals. I see NCSU as worthless trash, fans worse than even Maryland and SoCar fans.

The SEC footprint is reveling in all of this. It’s almost like a big FU to the North - let them cling to their football. Maybe the whole footprint should secede. I’d be totally fine with that.

They're going to kill their own sport then. Football is already waning in participation. Making it even more regional will hurt the sport. Honestly, if we are not in a top tier conference then we should pull the plug on football and focus on basketball. The northeast actually cares about college basketball.

ESPN could cash in on the SEC, but it will need to keep other parts of the country engaged. This past year showed me I can live without sports. I just couldn't get into watching empty arenas. The transition wont be that hard.

They own the state of NC which is one of the fastest growing states in the union.

But they would be the SEC and B1G’s first pick if they could get any non-ND ACC team.

I don’t agree with this at all. I think this is where living in North Carolina has blindsided you a bit. Virginia brings in more revenue than them. That’s not even taking into account Clemson or FSU.

Reactions: gbo

wasn't clemson winning and participating in the CFP every year or am i dreaming

Need to go big and go further South. Add Racetrac and QuickTrip.
Hey, if this is going to be a true mega conference then they need to add the Midwest. Think this brand is going to be the true winner!!!
Capture.JPG

Which school would the Big Ten want if they could have one North Carolina or Clemson?
We know the answer for the SEC.

If I am the Big 10 I take Virginia and I think it’s pretty much a no brainer.

Everyone think Duke and Kansas are guaranteed seats at the table. Exactly how relevant are they in football?
Duke is all but guaranteed because of UNC. Easily the biggest basketball rivalry is UNC-Dook. It is not as valuable as the biggest football rivalries, but it is worth more than football rivalries like LSU-Ole Miss, Tennessee-SoCar, Arkansas-A&M, Ohio St-Purdue, PSU-Mich St.

Kentucky is safe because of geography and history.
Duke is ahead of us because UNC will likely protect them wherever they go.

Syracuse doesn’t have either.
Remember that upstate NY has more population and TV households than many, many other markets in the country. And that SU makes a compelling claim to be one of the top programs of interest in the NYC area. Our "geography" is a plus, and our brand is resonant with college administrators and TV executives.

Remember that upstate NY has more population and TV households than many, many other markets in the country. And that SU makes a compelling claim to be one of the top programs of interest in the NYC area. Our "geography" is a plus, and our brand is resonant with college administrators and TV executives.
I don’t think it’s known if we are screwed completely or not.
I am just not going to take for granted we are safe and I am trying to be fair in how I Project what we will happen.

I think it’s more probable than not we are in trouble. I hope otherwise.

I don’t think it’s known if we are screwed completely or not.
I am just not going to take for granted we are safe and I am trying to be fair in how I Project what we will happen.

I think it’s more probable than not we are in trouble. I hope otherwise.
I disagree completely about both your takes on the vulnerability of the ACC and the dim future for SU. But that's why this is a message board.

If I am the Big 10 I take Virginia and I think it’s pretty much a no brainer.
Big Ten or SEC would take UNC first.
I think the SEC would probably prefer VPI to UVA but if they could get UNC would take UVA if they had too.
Big Ten would probably prefer UVA after UNC.

I disagree completely about both your takes on the vulnerability of the ACC and the dim future for SU. But that's why this is a message board.
I have said the only vulnerability for the ACC is Florida State.
If they can’t be poached I don’t see UVA or UNC destroying the conference.
I do think the conference is fine for the foreseeable future but it’s vulnerable only if the gaps in revenue are just insane.
Like 80-90 million per year for the SEC and Big Ten to the ACC deal going down from 35 million per year.

I think the SEC would probably prefer VPI to UVA but if they could get UNC would take UVA if they had too.

Based on what?

I mean if you’re talking strictly dollars that’s not how it’s going to go. UNC is way down in the pecking order. Louisville hasn’t even been mentioned and I could totally see them in the SEC.

This is a not small detail. We worry so much about speeding up baseball but this is a problem. Too many penalties, too many stoppages, letting TV dictate game flow (red jacket guy from hell)...
Hell, just keeping the clock running after a first down would save a ton of time.

Problem for the ACC is if it loses just one important school…. FSU or Clemson (or ND commits to b10) the conference then becomes the old BE. That’s why all of this is concerning. The b10 or SEC could lose their best school and still be a powerful conference. The ACC can’t and it means the conference is treading on thin ice. Nobody is going to care about the ACC without Clemson in it especially.

Last edited:
Duke is all but guaranteed because of UNC. Easily the biggest basketball rivalry is UNC-Dook. It is not as valuable as the biggest football rivalries, but it is worth more than football rivalries like LSU-Ole Miss, Tennessee-SoCar, Arkansas-A&M, Ohio St-Purdue, PSU-Mich St.

So the moves appear to be making super conferences. Does anyone actually think FSU and Clemson; Michigan or Penn State; Or Alabama and Florida are going to want to send their football teams to Wallace Wade every two years?

I do think the conference is fine for the foreseeable future but it’s vulnerable only if the gaps in revenue are just insane.
Like 80-90 million per year for the SEC and Big Ten to the ACC deal going down from 35 million per year.
Someone smart has to explain to me how ACC, if no one gets poached, isn't at least 55mm per year closer to the SEC/Big10 with the dynamic basketball content they have?

I feel like either the SEC/Big numbers are stupidly inflated or whomever that buys the ACC will be getting a screaming deal. I also think if ESPN has the ACC and the SEC then the colleges will start investigating why Vanderbilt, Rutgers, Maryland and South Carolina are getting 90mm per and Clemson is getting 35mm. This will not work long term.

Something is going to shake out here if the numbers are sooo out of whack purely because you were anointed to join a television network (that's what these are, not conferences anymore)

Even if FSU was poached (where are they going?), I think the ACC would just add UCF and wait it out until the $ gap became too big. So if FSU announces in 2030 that they are leaving end of GOR, you wouldn't see any other movement until the $ gap was too big.

We don't have to worry about any of this for ten years. A lot can change by then. The only way change happens before then is if the conference dissolves. if that happens, it means we have a home.

Just talked about this in my office today.

Anecdotal, but strangely enough..

Florida, UGA x2 and an LSU fan… all, vehemently, want VPI over UVA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom