Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC | Page 75 | Syracusefan.com

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC

I don’t see conferences going over 16.
It just doesn’t make sense.
So how are we in danger? SEC is at 16. B1G is at 14 and can only add 2. ACC would be fine in taht case.

I don’t see conferences going over 16.
It just doesn’t make sense.
the only way it would make sense is if the SEC were able to entice Clemson and someone else big to get to 18, but yeah, I don't see other feasible ways anyone will go over 16, unless you buy the idea that Oregon, USC, Washington and UCLA leave the Pac 12 for the Big 10( I don't).

So how are we in danger? SEC is at 16. B1G is at 14 and can only add 2. ACC would be fine in taht case.
Seeing more and more come out about how this is ESPN/Disney going all Petyr Baelish choas is a ladder on this I think we're definetly fine. These are all moves driven to protect their assets which the ACC is. We ride with the evil mouse on this

If we were affiliated with Fox I'd be way more concerned

Been saying this since this whole thing started. Some negative Nancy's on this board act like the ACC demise is imminent and the GOR is just a distraction. Yet here we have both UT/OU having to bide their time precisely because of the GOR. The ACC has maybe 5-7 years to figure out strategy that will keep the conference alive. If they do some forward-thinking, innovative maneuvers, we can still come out ahead of this thing. And the fact that good ol' boy Swofford and the Carolina Mafia are no longer steering the ship, is actually a good thing.
In any case, the narrative of imminent ACC doom-n-gloom is totally unwarranted. Some folks need to chill the f out a little.
I've said it seemingly a billion times - to Big East fans, Big Ten fans, SEC fans, Big XII fans, WVU fans, ND fans - about a half dozen times since the ACC was founded in 1953, pundits and other so-called experts have suggested, and often asserted rather directly, the demise of the ACC was fast approaching. That oft repeated tale of the ACC about to destroyed seems to be something that all kinds of fans of other leagues and teams need, as if it isa security sleeping blanket for them.

The ACC has always come through because the ACC leadership never panics and because the ACC is lead by schools (UNC, Dook, UVA) that are more than willing to remain in a league of 'likeminded' schools than leave to take more, even much more.

The SWC would still be alive if Texas had not been so damn greedy. The original Big 8 offer to Texas was to merge the two then 8 team leagues to form the first 16 team super conference. Super Greedy, filthy rich Texas said No Way, and instead offered to jettison 4 SWC schools.

The Big XII would still alive and well today if Texas, the richest athletics department in the country, were not as insatiably greedy as the Big Ten and, now, the SEC.

If the Movers and Shakers of your league are focused first and foremost on keeping the league stable, then that is how they will lead: they will sacrifice what they could get to help the whole.

The key this time is that if both FSU and Clemson - the only two ACC full football members who have large football attendance - both decide to chase the much bigger SEC money, then the ACC could be primed for a slow death. Today, football doesn't just drive the bus; football pays for all the gas and maintenance, all the upgrades and repairs. And a Major conference requires a couple of members, preferably more, who have large average attendance.

It did not require yet another brilliant UNC grad to do for the BT, with all those humongous schools and stadiums, what Jim Delaney did. Mike Tranghese could have pulled off much of that. But what John Swofford did, with a bunch of private and smaller state schools as handicap, was amazing. I doubt Mike Slive could have done as well.

Jim Phillips was selected to replace Swoffird because his long and very successful AD career at Northwestern means he beat the odds big time. He knows how to navigate those waters run by huge state schools with 80K - 100K stadiums.

I wish Fox and ESPN would just get into a room and decide how they want to divide this crap up. Instead of secretly killing off leagues cloak and dagger style, just work it out. If posters here can work up a 4x16 thing, so can they.*

* I know this won't happen in a billion years, but it would be less horrible and allow them to think big picture "what's best for the sport and what's best for the programs and athletes" should be the driving force.

It would be best for all college sports if the colleges would get together and form a universal package for TV. If they want to act like pros, then behave like pros. That include sharing equally TV revenue with him bottom feeders so that the high profile teams have teams to beat. Divide into regional conferences and have a broader playoff system so each regional conference winner is in the playoffs.

But that will not happen anytime soon.

It’s shame a few schools are allowing a short-term value calc, computed by a few analysts at ESPN, potentially ruin the long-term value for the rest of us

I've said it seemingly a billion times - to Big East fans, Big Ten fans, SEC fans, Big XII fans, WVU fans, ND fans - about a half dozen times since the ACC was founded in 1953, pundits and other so-called experts have suggested, and often asserted rather directly, the demise of the ACC was fast approaching. That oft repeated tale of the ACC about to destroyed seems to be something that all kinds of fans of other leagues and teams need, as if it isa security sleeping blanket for them.

The ACC has always come through because the ACC leadership never panics and because the ACC is lead by schools (UNC, Dook, UVA) that are more than willing to remain in a league of 'likeminded' schools than leave to take more, even much more.

The SWC would still be alive if Texas had not been so damn greedy. The original Big 8 offer to Texas was to merge the two then 8 team leagues to form the first 16 team super conference. Super Greedy, filthy rich Texas said No Way, and instead offered to jettison 4 SWC schools.

The Big XII would still alive and well today if Texas, the richest athletics department in the country, were not as insatiably greedy as the Big Ten and, now, the SEC.

If the Movers and Shakers of your league are focused first and foremost on keeping the league stable, then that is how they will lead: they will sacrifice what they could get to help the whole.

The key this time is that if both FSU and Clemson - the only two ACC full football members who have large football attendance - both decide to chase the much bigger SEC money, then the ACC could be primed for a slow death. Today, football doesn't just drive the bus; football pays for all the gas and maintenance, all the upgrades and repairs. And a Major conference requires a couple of members, preferably more, who have large average attendance.

It did not require yet another brilliant UNC grad to do for the BT, with all those humongous schools and stadiums, what Jim Delaney did. Mike Tranghese could have pulled off much of that. But what John Swofford did, with a bunch of private and smaller state schools as handicap, was amazing. I doubt Mike Slive could have done as well.

Jim Phillips was selected to replace Swoffird because his long and very successful AD career at Northwestern means he beat the odds big time. He knows how to navigate those waters run by huge state schools with 80K - 100K stadiums.
Hahaha you seem to top yourself with every post...

Wow Nina's in Norwich is a blast from the past. Agreed good pizza there.

Come on man. I'm talking about the revenue disparity. You don't agree with me on who is to blame and that is quite alright, but you have to admit that it is going to be a problem going forward.

I apologize if I have come off as obnoxious in this thread as that was not my intention.
No need to apologize. This entire thread is obnoxious; and yet I still continue to follow it.

The Stewart’s Coffee experience is overrated to me. I think because there’s always some locals who seemingly hang out there all morning long, and I assume they’ve all been mandhandling the coffee the whole time. Just not a fan of it. If I’m going to pour my own coffee out of a pot, it’s going to be at my own house...where I’m the only one using it.

The Stewart’s Coffee experience is overrated to me. I think because there’s always some locals who seemingly hang out there all morning long, and I assume they’ve all been mandhandling the coffee the whole time. Just not a fan of it. If I’m going to pour my own coffee out of a pot, it’s going to be at my own house...where I’m the only one using it.
Eww! Germs!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom