Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC | Page 74 | Syracusefan.com

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC

People keep saying the GOR can be broken but there is absolutely no proof of this. Oklahoma and Texas both announced they would leave AFTER the GOR expires. The only way the GOR goes away is if the entire conference folds. That is exactly what ESPN was trying to do. They wanted the whole conference to dissolve because if there is no conference, then there is no GOR.

With that said, the ACC may not be in the greatest position currently. But nothing can happen for at least 14 years. It doesn’t really matter if Clemson and/or FSU want to leave. They CANT!!! Because even if 2-4 teams wanted to leave the ACC (say fox wants to get back at ESPN and requests Big Ten to go after some ACC schools) they can’t leave for 14 years because the conference would not dissolve!!! The ACC has time here. Nothing has to be decided today. Yes, it needs to be forward thinking to place itself in a good position but we have time on our side.

The merger with the Big Ten and PAC have no chance of Happening because of the companies they are in bed with. ESPN would never allow the ACC which they own completely to merge with the Big 10 or PAC which have contracts with FOX. Only explanation would be the PAC media deal expires in 2024. Would ESPN offer them a sweet deal to merge with the ACC? They then have 2 super confrences in SEC and ACC/PAC. Which leaves fox with only the Big Ten? but the PAC has always been buddy buddy with the Big Ten. Not sure what would have to happen to break up that relationship

in order of media deals.

PAC 12- expires 2024 and I don’t believe has a GOR

ACC- 2036, GOR expires 2036

Big 12- 2025, GOR expires 2025 unless Conference dissolves

SEC- expires 2032, No GOR, but no one is leaving.

Big Ten- expires 2024, same year as the PAC. Don’t believe has a GOR.

ND- NBC deal expires 2025

Bottom line, ESPN has ACC by the balls with that contract. Signed through 2036. Big ten could be on their 3rd contract by then. SEC will be on their 3rd contract as well. Glad the ACC has a new commissioner. Hopefully he does better then his predecessor.
Been saying this since this whole thing started. Some negative Nancy's on this board act like the ACC demise is imminent and the GOR is just a distraction. Yet here we have both UT/OU having to bide their time precisely because of the GOR. The ACC has maybe 5-7 years to figure out strategy that will keep the conference alive. If they do some forward-thinking, innovative maneuvers, we can still come out ahead of this thing. And the fact that good ol' boy Swofford and the Carolina Mafia are no longer steering the ship, is actually a good thing.
In any case, the narrative of imminent ACC doom-n-gloom is totally unwarranted. Some folks need to chill the f out a little.

I want Kelly fired, I always have. I do not like him at all because of many things that are personal to ND. I will defend the school when required because the Sullivan family did themselves. You have no clue about me.

My "insecurity" is about a boy you do not know and you throw his name around like a weapon. I thought it was disrespectful and petty. Carry on with your life.

The reason I even have him partially in my icon is that was a special moment.

Appears we agree on at least one thing. Peace be with you brother

Sorry for hijacking the thread with ice cream and small town pizza stories. Back to our regular programming.

Alsacs - you’ve been quiet. Any thoughts on all of this?
My only thought is thank you for bringing a positive issue to the thread.
It was appreciated. Great discussion.
Best pizza in the USA for me was in New Haven, CT Modern Apizza.

I’ve actually been meaning to get to new haven to try the pizza. Aren’t there at least a couple well known pizza places there?

My Daughter is at Yale. Agreed Modern is the best pie in town

Blue horseshoe loves anacott steel!
michael douglas GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

I will give you mine.

Money gap becomes too large to ignore so the 5 AAU ACC schools and Kansas go to the B1G to create a 20 team conference. The B1G stays AAU only and does not go after ND or Miami.

The SEC then takes FSU, Clemson, NC State, VA Tech to also get to 20.

Notre Dame stays Indy forever.

That leaves Miami, Wake, Louisville, SU, BC behind. They add West Virginia, Cincy, UConn, Temple, UCF to create a new 10 team conference.

That is assuming the B1G stops at 20 and doesn't pursue Notre Dame or the states of Florida, New York, Massachusetts. It is also assuming that the money gap between the B1G and ACC is so large that UNC has no choice but to give in. Ands none of this would happen before 2035.
I think the BIG annexes the PAC minus OSU/WSU to arrive at 24. SEC takes UVA VT UNC DUKE CLEMSON GT FSU KU OU UT. ACC adds remaining B12 schools plus Houston, Cincy, UCF

x
I think the BIG annexes the PAC minus OSU/WSU to arrive at 24. SEC takes UVA VT UNC DUKE CLEMSON GT FSU KU OU UT. ACC adds remaining B12 schools plus Houston, Cincy, UCF

B1G isn't taking Arizona State. If they took all 9 P12 AAU schools (if I am them I leave out Cal), that is 23 teams so they need one more.

SEC might want that but given the choice I don't see how UNC, Duke, GA Tech, UVA choose the SEC over the B1G.

That still leaves Notre Dame on the outside. Would the B1G really want that?

Why would the ACC teams want to be with the B12 teams at that point? They would be better off making an Eastern conference of the 10 best teams available.

Miami, NC State, Wake, Louisville, Pitt, SU, BC + West Virginia, UCF, Cincy.

That conference might be comparable to the old Big East. It doesn't have Rutgers (who stunk), VA Tech (but now you have Louisville who is comparable), and Temple (who stunk). The problem is Miami and SU are not the U and Cuse. But maybe being in a smaller conference helps them recover.

Rivalry week
Miami vs UCF
NC State vs Wake
Louisville vs Cincy
Pitt vs WV
SU vs BC

x

B1G isn't taking Arizona State. If they took all 9 P12 AAU schools (if I am them I leave out Cal), that is 23 teams so they need one more.

SEC might want that but given the choice I don't see how UNC, Duke, GA Tech, UVA choose the SEC over the B1G.

That still leaves Notre Dame on the outside. Would the B1G really want that?

Why would the ACC teams want to be with the B12 teams at that point? They would be better off making an Eastern conference of the 10 best teams available.

Miami, NC State, Wake, Louisville, Pitt, SU, BC + West Virginia, UCF, Cincy.

That conference might be comparable to the old Big East. It doesn't have Rutgers (who stunk), VA Tech (but now you have Louisville who is comparable), and Temple (who stunk). The problem is Miami and SU are not the U and Cuse. But maybe being in a smaller conference helps them recover.

Rivalry week
Miami vs UCF
NC State vs Wake
Louisville vs Cincy
Pitt vs WV
SU vs BC
The SEC and B1G aren’t going to expand unless the teams they bring in actually increase their value of their contracts.

UNC/UVA/FSU/Clemson/Notre Dame /USC/UCLA/Stanford/Cal/Oregon/Washington

Are the type of schools that Do that.

The SEC would only be interested in UNC/UVA/Notre Dame/VPI
That is why I think the SEC is done expanding.

The Big Ten probably would be interested in USC/UCLA combo.
They aren’t going to over expand either.

I obviously knew shoe companies and boosters were, was not aware of broadcasting companies dropping bags

That wasn’t what I meant, but their coverage and advertising already pushed kids to certain schools.

So basically that threat by the Big XII was related to this.
To keep the Big XII afloat the conference must maintain 6 members.
The annual payout for the last 4 years of the Big XII contract is 35 million per season.

The Big XII feels ESPN is trying to get the American to take 5 members of the Big XII.
This would allow the Big XII to be disbanded immediately and those 5 would go to the American and Texas/Oklahoma would be free to join the SEC earlier than 4 years and wouldn’t have to pay a dime.
If those 5 voted to disband it would be 5-3 taking OU/UT out of the vote.

So Texas/Oklahoma discussions the past 6 months are going to be very important did ESPN tell them don’t worry we will take care of your exit by using the American.

This chit is real. Potential lawsuit is real. ESPN better not have any smoking guns.
Depositions would be interesting. The ESPN executive rumored to have played a part with Oklahoma/Texas is Burke Magnus he is a big name at ESPN.

The Big XII remaining 8 are being attempted to be broken apart and it wouldn’t shock me if ESPN could be liable if the discovery is allowed.

Thamel--There has long been a deep distrust of ESPN’s role in realignment, something the network and its executives push back hard against. But there’s a dichotomy between the ESPN suits being savvy stewards of a billion-dollar business and also having no say in moves that impact hundreds of millions of dollars and bundles of inventory.

A famous realignment quote that re-emerged – one that makes ESPN suits itchy – echoed from the past on Wednesday. Former Boston College athletic director Gene DeFilippo told The Boston Globe in 2011 about BC blocking UConn from the ACC: “TV – ESPN – is the one who told us what to do.”

Pepe’s, Sally’s, Modern and Bar.

New Haven pizza is the best on earth.
Other pizzerias in New Haven were also good. When I lived there, (late 70's) Broadway Pizza had a really good bacon pizza. I would drive up to Whitneyville Pizza --really good with no wait.

FB 4 + 5/5/5 means you get home and away every 6 years.

BBall 19 + 1 (rival twice)

BBall Tourney
Monday 13th - 20th
Tuesday 9th - 12th vs Monday winners
Wednesday 5th - 8th vs Tuesday winners
Thursday Quarters
Friday Semis
Saturday Final
That's what we've got now in football and everyone says it sucks. The academics and the press will absolutely love the idea of a week-long basketball tournament.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom