Thad Matta out at Ohio State / Chris Holtmann in | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Thad Matta out at Ohio State / Chris Holtmann in

They should just give Chris Mack the monster offer and end it quick.
Xavier nice school but Ohio State is the flagship program of Oh-io.

Cronin should be a real candidate too. Guy has done a solid job at Cincy, another Kid brother to tOSU

Agreed. That would be hard to turn down considering it's just moving 100 miles or so down the highway

What a lazy list. Hmm lets suggest they get the coach where the got Matta (Mack) or Let's suggest the coach that replaced Matta at his last job (Miller). Or lets suggest the coach where Matta coached before his last job (Holtman). None of those peopel have anything to do with OSU. They only have to do with Matta. And they aint the Ohio State Matta's. They are the Suckeyes and will appropriately hire a sucky coach. Hey John Groce is available! AT least he used to coach at OSU.

Of course it's a lazy list. Look who wrote it. Duh.

I've always been enormously impressed with Cronin but I don't see him ever leaving Cincy by choice.

If Boeheim left would we command a similar list? I would hope us before Ohio St in hierarchy
I wouldn't put Sean Miller on our list either. Arizona and Syracuse are very similar in terms of history. Zona has 4 final 4's and 1 national title. They are also currently recruiting at a higher level than us and have won way more games the last 5 years. They also beat us out for a kid in our own backyard. They got a kid from Pennsylvania to come out there we wanted. Arizona is humming right now and he will punch through next year or the year after and get a final 4 or national title. There is no reason for him to leave if he is a sane person.

Doesn't tOSU have the largest sports budget in the country? They have gobs and gobs of cash...
Didn't take that into account or know that. I think I read Boeheim was somewhere around the 20 the highest paid coach so prob good chance they pay better

For Ohio st, he would in a heartbeat, unless he just can't get enough of playing e carolina and storrs.
I believe he has family connections to cincinnati as well, could be wrong though

Not sure about Cronin. This afternoon Packer on Sirius had Bilas, Dakich, and Dave Revsine all on discussing the Matta situation.

Bilas and Dakich both felt Cronin would not be considered because of some shady stuff they wouldn't specify about in terms of Ohio State vs Cincinnati recruiting wars as of late. Cronin could do a good job though if hired.

All of them were surprised but understand it because his health has impacted his efforts on the recruiting trail. Dakich said Matta told him that some days he can't even get out of bed because the back pain is so bad. Even with a couple of down years none of them felt it was about his coaching. In 12 years nobody had more Big Ten regular season titles, Big Ten Tourney titles, and conference wins than Matta. Many would be surprised to know that. He's only 49! Looks like he is around 65, imo.

They all felt that it is still an elite job. Money, support, facilities, conference, etc. If they get hot the fans will support. Yes they will be always second fiddle but those fans traveled to Boston for that E8 game. There is support. Gene Smith is no dummy. They felt he probably has his guy already and it will be a big hire. They would be very surprised if it is a current assistant.

Last edited:
Not sure about Cronin. This afternoon Packer on Sirius had Bilas, Dakich, and Dave Revsine all on discussing the Matta situation.

Bilas and Dakich both felt Cronin would not be considered because of some shady stuff they wouldn't specify about in terms of Ohio State vs Cincinnati recruiting wars as of late. Cronin could do a good job though if hired.

All of them were surprised but understand it because his health has impacted his efforts on the recruiting trail. Dakich said Matta told him that some days he can't even get out of bed because the back pain is so bad. Even with a couple of down years none of them felt it was about his coaching. In 12 years nobody had more Big Ten regular season titles, Big Ten Tourney titles, and conference wins than Matta. Many would be surprised to know that. He's only 49! Looks like he is around 65, imo.

They all felt that it is still an elite job. Money, support, facilities, conference, etc. If they get hot the fans will support. Yes they will be always second fiddle but those fans traveled to Boston for that E8 game. There is support. Gene Smith is no dummy. They felt he probably has his guy already and it will be a big hire. They would be very surprised if it is a current assistant.
I agree about a lot of this but the 2nd fiddle thing is huge and not some throw away thing to say. If you are 2nd fiddle I don't think you can maintain success against the programs that are the main event. UK, Duke, UNC, Kansas, Arizona, Syracuse, Indiana etc.

I agree about a lot of this but the 2nd fiddle thing is huge and not some throw away thing to say. If you are 2nd fiddle I don't think you can maintain success against the programs that are the main event. UK, Duke, UNC, Kansas, Arizona, Syracuse, Indiana etc.

I'm just taking the time to share what Bilas and Dakich and those guys said since some fans on here will automatically dismiss the gig and/or Matta. 2nd fiddle issue is huge for sure. Michigan has been very solid in hoops in recent years so it can be done. Prior to the end of the Barnes era Texas was solid. We'll see. I do think it still is a great job. Maybe not 'elite' but obviously a great gig.

I'm just taking the time to share what Bilas and Dakich and those guys said since some fans on here will automatically dismiss the gig and/or Matta. 2nd fiddle issue is huge for sure. Michigan has been very solid in hoops in recent years so it can be done. Prior to the end of the Barnes era Texas was solid. We'll see. I do think it still is a great job. Maybe not 'elite' but obviously a great gig.
How many years did Donovan do it at Florida?

Surprised about Cronin since he had his own serious health issues.

Knowing nothing about Matta's health, is this one of those deals where in a few years he'll be "healed" and ready to coach at a top 10 program again?

Surprised about Cronin since he had his own serious health issues.

Cronin reminds me of JB in some ways. Cincinnati is his dream job. He played there, spent a few years at Louisville as a recruiter, but then came back. The institution has shown some loyalty to him with his illness.

He's a good coach, but has only gotten to the sweet sixteen once, and never beyond. I don't see him moving on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom