Thad Matta out at Ohio State / Chris Holtmann in | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Thad Matta out at Ohio State / Chris Holtmann in

Knowing nothing about Matta's health, is this one of those deals where in a few years he'll be "healed" and ready to coach at a top 10 program again?

There was definitely speculation about your question by Pack, Bilas, etc. Certainly not about a mysterious/miraculous healing but about legitimate future coaching. I believe he had at least one kind of botched back surgery. He's only 49 even though he looks 60+!

Last edited:
Not sure about Cronin. This afternoon Packer on Sirius had Bilas, Dakich, and Dave Revsine all on discussing the Matta situation.

Bilas and Dakich both felt Cronin would not be considered because of some shady stuff they wouldn't specify about in terms of Ohio State vs Cincinnati recruiting wars as of late. Cronin could do a good job though if hired.

All of them were surprised but understand it because his health has impacted his efforts on the recruiting trail. Dakich said Matta told him that some days he can't even get out of bed because the back pain is so bad. Even with a couple of down years none of them felt it was about his coaching. In 12 years nobody had more Big Ten regular season titles, Big Ten Tourney titles, and conference wins than Matta. Many would be surprised to know that. He's only 49! Looks like he is around 65, imo.

They all felt that it is still an elite job. Money, support, facilities, conference, etc. If they get hot the fans will support. Yes they will be always second fiddle but those fans traveled to Boston for that E8 game. There is support. Gene Smith is no dummy. They felt he probably has his guy already and it will be a big hire. They would be very surprised if it is a current assistant.
Jesus - Packer is still alive?

Illinois tried to get Tony Bennett just a couple months ago ... could another Midwest school have better luck? Bennett originally from Wisconsin ...

Opposing coaches have negative recruited against Matta, claiming "he's dying".

Seriously, this is not a joke. Other coaches have told recruits not to go to Ohio State because Matta is dying. How awful is that?
So messed up.

Last edited:
I'm just taking the time to share what Bilas and Dakich and those guys said since some fans on here will automatically dismiss the gig and/or Matta. 2nd fiddle issue is huge for sure. Michigan has been very solid in hoops in recent years so it can be done. Prior to the end of the Barnes era Texas was solid. We'll see. I do think it still is a great job. Maybe not 'elite' but obviously a great gig.
I know sorry I was talking about them not you. I wasn't implying you believed that

I've heard that Buzz is extremely religious and likes how religion is more of a presence in southern communities compared to the north, though I guess VA being the south is relative, and wants to stay in the south. The person told me that VT people will say they're nervous he's going to wake up one morning and decide he's done coaching and become a preacher and that they are only half joking.

Maybe it's bad/exaggerated info but I believe the guy that told me as he is plugged into that world. That's why I stopped with the fantasy that Buzz would be our coach some day.

Perfect. Ohio was the home of "Big Butter Jesus.". He'd fit right in.

537670585_4e0785d8b4.jpg

View attachment 99654

HA! That's on 75S between Dayton and Cincinnati. Otherwise known as "Touchdown Jesus." It sits on the side of the road part of this mega church complex. It was struck down by lightning a few years ago. True story and hilarious. They built a new one. Unreal.

HA! That's on 75S between Dayton and Cincinnati. Otherwise known as "Touchdown Jesus." It sits on the side of the road part of this mega church complex. It was struck down by lightning a few years ago. True story and hilarious. They built a new one. Unreal.

I used to drive by it every week on my way to Cincinnati. Until it burned down of course.

God smites Big Butter Jesus and they build another one. You'd think Solid Rock Church would get the hint.

I used to drive by it every week on my way to Cincinnati. Until it burned down of course.

God smites Big Butter Jesus and they build another one. You'd think Solid Rock Church would get the hint.

Oh man. I don't think I've ever laughed more on this forum.

View attachment 99654
I have never heard of this. Amazing.

Also had no idea Buzz was super religious.

Okay, how about this scenario? Scott Drew, who Ohio State insiders think could be a dark horse candidate, replaces Matta at Ohio State, and then Buzz leaves Va Tech to take the Baylor job and join the Baptists.

I have never heard of this. Amazing.

Also had no idea Buzz was super religious.

Okay, how about this scenario? Scott Drew, who Ohio State insiders think could be a dark horse candidate, replaces Matta at Ohio State, and then Buzz leaves Va Tech to take the Baylor job and join the Baptists.

Nicely done!

Knowing nothing about Matta's health, is this one of those deals where in a few years he'll be "healed" and ready to coach at a top 10 program again?
Syracuse? Sorry had to do it...

Matta is among my choices to be the next SU coach.

I do think he'll be back after this health setback, ironically a la Ohio State's Urban Meyer.

I've always liked him. Can't argue with his results. When Packer had Bilas, Revsine, and Dakich on the other day one of them pointed out a stat most would not realize. In the past 12 or 13 years he has the most B10 Tourney and Reg Season titles. Most conference wins also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom