Thamel | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Thamel

As I recall he was DO sports editor for several years and then interned and worked at the NY Times. Not sure that's worthless. The guys lived and breathed sports journalism since day 1, that's why he's successful.

I think this is an expression of frustration at years of mismanagement of the football program and maybe intended to add to the pile-on so that a change could be made with coaching. It's definitely not unbiased though, it's emotional. It's like yelling at your kids sometimes because you give a . . . . .

Yeah, I rather he say sh 1 t like this than be apathetic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who here said that he was "in the know" on certain things at SU?

This tweet suggests he either is not, or will not be soon.

What a dick.

Our program basically is irrelevant right now. I'm a diehard fan but besides us diehards who cares about Syracuse football? We're a bottom 10 team over the past 10+ years. Nothing is going to change that except winning. What should the guy say? Should he lie? Some people are just too thin skinned and looking for anyone or anything to blame. The fact is we've made terrible hire after terrible hire and compounded bad choices on top of that to take a once great program and turn it into one of the worst teams in power 5 football over the past 15 years. I really hope that someone with the pedigree of coyle can do what is needed to right the ship because if not we could become the next Kansas and be stuck as a bottom feeder for an awfully long time.

Our program basically is irrelevant right now. I'm a diehard fan but besides us diehards who cares about Syracuse football? We're a bottom 10 team over the past 10+ years. Nothing is going to change that except winning. What should the guy say? Should he lie? Some people are just too thin skinned and looking for anyone or anything to blame. The fact is we've made terrible hire after terrible hire and compounded bad choices on top of that to take a once great program and turn it into one of the worst teams in power 5 football over the past 15 years. I really hope that someone with the pedigree of coyle can do what is needed to right the ship because if not we could become the next Kansas and be stuck as a bottom feeder for an awfully long time.

That's not the point. The snark and tone is the point.

Terrible hire after Terrible Hire ???
Grob - agree, as bad as it gets
Marrone- brought program out of the depths
Shafer - despite the current tone the book is still out

you guys want our national writers to be sycophants for a program that deserves scrutiny?

I'm a Newhouse grad and I applaud his independent/alumni neutral stances he takes. He's where he is because of his writing chops.
Unlike button.

Who is relevant in the Northeast?

Rutgers, BC, UConn, Syracuse, Maryland?

None of them.

Pitt is having a decent year, but they haven't been relevant in years.

Neither has Penn State.

There's a common thread here.

How would the best high school football teams from NY State -- or even New Jersey --fare against the best high school teams from Florida, Louisiana, South Carolina or Virginia?

Now take the best players from those teams and spread them across a limited number of college programs from those regions.

SU and others face a tough road.

But most of us already knew that.

Hate the tone but he's absolutely right.
Winning cures all ills, even from frustrated alums who choose to pile onto our struggling program.
Each loss, and HOW we lose, wears you down a little bit more. You're left to either be angry or apathetic.
Groundhog Day over & over again.:bang:

Because he's an alum and frustrated?

Then he's not being professional. Bet Tirico, Costas, McDonough etc are just as frustrated since they are alums who bleed orange but they don't subject their national audience to their personal frustrations taking shots at a program he claims is irrelevant anyways.

Then he's not being professional. Bet Tirico, Costas, McDonough etc are just as frustrated since they are alums who bleed orange but they don't subject their national audience to their personal frustrations taking shots at a program he claims is irrelevant anyways.

"I have a better chance of doing shampoo commercials than Syracuse winning out." --Sean McDonough

Good for him, then. I fu(king love McDonough, and it's got nothing to do with how professional he is.

I like the fact that Sean "openly cheer for SU during the 6ot game" McDonough is one of your go-tos for professionalism.

That is an interesting point. Is Twitter strictly professional, strictly personal or a little of both?

You can bet he'd never write something with tone in SI...

That is an interesting point. Is Twitter strictly professional, strictly personal or a little of both?

You can bet he'd never write something with tone in SI...

It's both...and he has "SI" in his handle...making it more the former.

It's both...and he has "SI" in his handle...making it more the former.

If he has SI in his handle, then I would say it is professional and, therefore, inappropriate.

The problem is that guys like Stephen A Smith and Jim Rome have made this type of language acceptable in what-passes-for journalism these days...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom