That 1987 SU team, man oh man oh man | Syracusefan.com

That 1987 SU team, man oh man oh man

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
Watched the 1987 East Regional Championship from the Meadowlands last night on TW.

Much to my surprise I realized it was the first time that I have rewatched that game.

At least as much as my memory is serving me.

You know how you remember where you were and who you were with during big events?

Well everything came flooding back to me.

The game was played on Saturday March 21 and I had a softball meeting at O' Leary's bar on Burnet Ave

O' Leary's was a popular sports hangout and sponsored many teams.

After the meeting our team populated the downstairs and got ready to watch Syracuse try to pull an upset over the favored Tarheels

There was good precedent too, as upsets were taking place left and right including one by Providence who was coached by a young Rick Pitino, over Alabama.

A lot of former SU players frequented O' Leary's and I was lucky enough to have Bill DeMarle as a bar mate.

Billy was on the 1975 Final Four team that Cinderella'd their to San Diego behind Jimmy Lee & Rudy Hackett.

I knew Billy from the rec leagues where he and several Ex Orange players had the most entertaining team in the league. Steve Shaw, Marty Head, Kevin King to name a few. They used to put on passing clinics, ran picture perfect fast breaks where the ball never touched the floor, executed great pick and rolls and played levels above the average rec league teams.

Getting back to last nights viewing, IMHO, that 87 squad had the most talented roster of any in the history of Syracuse basketball. There were guys who didn't get much PT or get off the bench who could have played for most teams.

This team had it all

Point guard Sherman Douglas finally out of the shadows of Pearl Washington demonstrated what a hard-nosed competitor he was. Rejected by his hometown Hoyas little Sherm was on a mission.

He basically made the ally oop pass into an art form.

Douglas had some great recipients in Rony Seikaly, Derrick Coleman and jumping jack Stevie Thompson.

Seikaly had an unbelievable NCAA tournament averaging 26 PPG he did not disappoint in this game. Billy Packer could not get over how well he played calling him the most improved player in the country.

I remember the raw Rony the one who clashed with JB. The one who had very little offensive skills. Boy what I wouldn't give now for such a low post scoring machine like him.

DC was ferocious on the boards and provided a second shot blocker that made offenses think twice about going into the lane. Coleman was also a great ball handler and passer not to mention a rebounding machine.

They mentioned how Dave Bing a fellow Detroiter had helped recruit Derrick. We were also after the other top player in the class of 1986 big man Terry Mills who ended up at Michigan.

Watching this 2014 edition struggle for offense is painful, something the 1987 team had in spades.

Greg Monroe was an excellent three point shooter. Earlier in the year Greg's dad succumed to cancer after suffering for a long time. Monroe dedicated the season to his memory. After being saddled with three fouls in the first half Greg came back and made some key free throws down the stretch of this game to help ensure victory.

Howard Trice also provided some offensive spark. He had a nice mid-range game something you rarely see in players today.

Derrick Brower came off the bench and gave the team a nice offense and defensive lift. At one point after making a short shot & getting fouled Rony came over and gave him one of those lift-up-hugs.

Rony & DC didn't always have the best chemistry during their career here it seems that they got in each others way at times but that wasn't evident in this game. In fact they hugged & smiled several times.

JB was JB trying to keep the officials honest. His assistants Bernie Fine, Wayne Morgan and Ralph Willard who was a volunteer assistant, doing their thing to help the cause.

Riding the pines were Matt Roe who would later end up being one of the all-time great 3-point shooters in SU basketball history. My kingdom for a Matt Roe on this years team. Rodney Walker a wide body who would later transfer to Maryland as Roe did. The late Keith Hughes who would go on to star for Rutgers.
Herm Harried who would see the floor for about 2 minutes in this game.

If my eyes weren't deceiving me I think I saw SU play some good man-to-man defense. Once we had a decent lead we switched to zone.

At one point Packer commented that SU wasn't a very good free throw shooting team averaging just 65% for the year.

Kenny Smith played for the Tarheels and as fast and quick as Sherman Douglas was Kenny was that much quicker.

JR Reid was North Carolinas vaunted freshman center. While he played a decent game he was no match for Seikaly.

This town was going bananas after that win. So much so that many drove to Hancock Airport to welcome their arrival. Cars were parked along the side of the roadway as far as you could see.

I was lucky to manage my way into the airport terminal with hundreds of other delerious SU fans.

There was a podium where JB got up and addressed the crowd. Then Derrick Coleman took over and chanted JR who, JR who, JR who, which just ignited the crowd.

If you ever get a chance, watch that game, you'll be amazed at what you see.

Box Score

Game Story

Last edited:
I remember watching that game at my friend's house who hosted a party featuring this.

It was our first "great" team, and I remember vividly the feeling that this wasn't luck, that this wasn't an upset. We were BETTER than them. We BELONGED. We were peaking at the right time and we were the BEST team in the country.

With this game, the program had taken the step to being elite, top-shelf.

I'm 29 and watched that game a few times. It's hard to compare era's, but obviously those teams had a ton of talent on the floor. The game back then was played at a faster pace than it is today. It was definately more fluid and we seemed to move more on offense. I think the biggest difference in basketball today compared to then is now even big guys want to play facing the basket. There aren't many post players like Seikaly anymore. Even in the NBA.

I'm not saying those teams didn't play defense, but the games now seem much more physical. I am sure that is because over time the Officials get more lenient in enforcing the rules. As talented as that team was, they still only really had one shooter playing, and this is one complaint I have had about Boeheims teams. For the most part we have relied on one shooter with exception of 08-09 (Rautins and Devendorf), and 09-10 (Rautins and Johnson)

I agree offense was a lot better back then, but defense is better today.

I wish that game were on youtube. It's probably my favorite segment of the "20 greatest moments" dvd. Interesting point about the Rony/DC chemistry issues - I guess I'm too young to remember that; but it gives some credence to the "nobody believes in us" rallying cry, which I think is bunk most of the time. The part about Dicky V. hyping up JR Reid & p!ssing off Seikaly --> smash cut to Coleman block, gives me chills.

I wonder how much of an underdog they were? It's funny in retrospect, Coleman saying how that UNC team was full of pros w/ Smith, Reid & Scott Williams. Well what do you call yourself, Sherm & Seikaly? Ha.

I wish that game were on youtube. It's probably my favorite segment of the "20 greatest moments" dvd. Interesting point about the Rony/DC chemistry issues - I guess I'm too young to remember that; but it gives some credence to the "nobody believes in us" rallying cry, which I think is bunk most of the time. The part about Dicky V. hyping up JR Reid & p!ssing off Seikaly --> smash cut to Coleman block, gives me chills.

I wonder how much of an underdog they were? It's funny in retrospect, Coleman saying how that UNC team was full of pros w/ Smith, Reid & Scott Williams. Well what do you call yourself, Sherm & Seikaly? Ha.
DC made an amazing block in that game, I think on Kenny Smith, that was called a goal tending. When they showed the replay it sure appeared the ball was still on it's way up. Coleman snatched it clear out of the air. Both he and Rony were fabulously athletic.

i was 16 years old watching the game with my father. I was a complete wreck when they cut the lead to 3 and then Kenny Smith missed a three pointer to tie the game. I will never forget JB freaking out and SCREAMING at Herman Haaried who ran onto the court and started hugging Sherm before the game was over. What a thrill to experience that. Just an awesome year in general to be a Syracuse sports fan with the football team going undefeated as well.

We all went to the airport that night to greet the team and I remember I was on TV and got a lot of PR at school the next day.

I'm 29 and watched that game a few times. It's hard to compare era's, but obviously those teams had a ton of talent on the floor. The game back then was played at a faster pace than it is today. It was definately more fluid and we seemed to move more on offense. I think the biggest difference in basketball today compared to then is now even big guys want to play facing the basket. There aren't many post players like Seikaly anymore. Even in the NBA.

I'm not saying those teams didn't play defense, but the games now seem much more physical. I am sure that is because over time the Officials get more lenient in enforcing the rules. As talented as that team was, they still only really had one shooter playing, and this is one complaint I have had about Boeheims teams. For the most part we have relied on one shooter with exception of 08-09 (Rautins and Devendorf), and 09-10 (Rautins and Johnson)

I agree offense was a lot better back then, but defense is better today.
Their half court offense was a thing of beauty that year. Great chemistry, with great role players like Triche and Monroe who were steadying forces to compliment the athleticism elsewhere.

As far as shooters go, keep in mind, that was the way with a lot of teams back then. That was the first year of the 3 point line, so in general most players weren't used to shooting from that distance at that time...which was what lead to the 3-point shot being put in. Most teams took the shot only when it presented itself, but not much as a weapon. Sherman could hit a few now and then, and Triche was a real good mid-range shooter. Pitino and Providence were way ahead of their time that year and shot a ton, but it took about 5-6 years for more shooters to emerge and teams to use it more in strategy. Now, all of these players have grown up with the line, so way more guys can shoot it now.

To this day I have never seen that game. My mother sent us to my grandmother's house that Saturday afternoon and evening. My grandmother had one TV and no cable. And her TV wasn't working. We tried to get it on a little portable TV but the picture was snowy. And, of course, the game was on near dinner time so we had to turn the TV off for dinner. I have never even seen the highlights from that game, only the photos that were in the Post and Herald.

I remember being excited and upset that night. Elated that we won but freakin angry because I couldn't see the game.

To this day I have never seen that game. My mother sent us to my grandmother's house that Saturday afternoon and evening. My grandmother had one TV and no cable. And her TV wasn't working. We tried to get it on a little portable TV but the picture was snowy. And, of course, the game was on near dinner time so we had to turn the TV off for dinner. I have never even seen the highlights from that game, only the photos that were in the Post and Herald.

I remember being excited and upset that night. Elated that we won but freakin angry because I couldn't see the game.

whaaaaaat?

I caught the replay on TW last night also. I was channel-surfing, found it, and could not pull myself away. I really needed an infusion of Sherman and Rony, with a bit of Derrick to go with it. Watching a game when you know the outcome is relaxing and enjoyable.

I was also 16 my father took me down to the game scalped a couple seats lower level behind the basket SU was shooting at second half.

Obviously elated after the game so we drove into the city went to Hawks @ Knicks that night drove home the next morning.

'89 team was better than this one. If they only held on against Illinois would have had to just get by a crappy Michigan team and freakin Seton Hall for the title.

I was also 16 my father took me down to the game scalped a couple seats lower level behind the basket SU was shooting at second half.

Obviously elated after the game so we drove into the city went to Hawks @ Knicks that night drove home the next morning.

'89 team was better than this one. If they only held on against Illinois would have had to just get by a crappy Michigan team and freakin Seton Hall for the title.

89 team was way better. Just ran into another great team in Illinois

I was in a common area at Oswego. Such a great game! Wish we won, Pete.

Dick Vitale had predicted that JR Reid "would make Seikaly cry". Rony had a point to make and after the game said he'd played against players like Patrick Ewing and David Robinson and that JR Reid, a freshman, wasn't going to make him cry.

I remember watching that game at my friend's house who hosted a party featuring this.

It was our first "great" team, and I remember vividly the feeling that this wasn't luck, that this wasn't an upset. We were BETTER than them. We BELONGED. We were peaking at the right time and we were the BEST team in the country.

With this game, the program had taken the step to being elite, top-shelf.

Actually, 1985-86 was our first "great team" of that era. Bob Boyd, the USC coach, compared them to the Walton gang. But like this team, they had some injuries, (to Addison and Seikaly) that brought them down a notch and they lost to Navy in a game where the Midshipmen went to the line 33 more times than we did.

And the Louie and Bouie teams were pretty strong, too.

89 team was way better. Just ran into another great team in Illinois
DC wasn't 100% that game, having injured his back after being undercut against Georgetown in the BET that year. Plus, the semi-final against Missouri on Friday night was a come from behind thriller that ended around 12:30 am if my memory serves me.

Actually, 1985-86 was our first "great team" of that era. Bob Boyd, the USC coach, compared them to the Walton gang. But like this team, they had some injuries, (to Addison and Seikaly) that brought them down a notch and they lost to Navy in a game where the Midshipmen went to the line 33 more times than we did.

45 point swing between when we beat them in December and lost to them at the Dome in the NCAA's.

I have said before that Pearl brought us into the discussion of elite teams, then I am reminded that my memories aren't of the complete program history. Thanks SWC.

I'm talking about us being good enough, healthy enough, and in a position to actually win the NCAAT.

That never happened with any of the teams you mentioned. We had never put it all together before like the 1987 squad.

Saw myself twice last night during the replay.

Saw my Dad today and he also watched that replay last night and his first comment was how skinny those guys were compared to today's players.

i was 16 years old watching the game with my father. I was a complete wreck when they cut the lead to 3 and then Kenny Smith missed a three pointer to tie the game. I will never forget JB freaking out and SCREAMING at Herman Haaried who ran onto the court and started hugging Sherm before the game was over. What a thrill to experience that. Just an awesome year in general to be a Syracuse sports fan with the football team going undefeated as well.

We all went to the airport that night to greet the team and I remember I was on TV and got a lot of PR at school the next day.

I saw you posted this comment before I started reading and my eyes just automatically read PBR instead of PR at the end. I was like - whoa, what school was that????

DC wasn't 100% that game, having injured his back after being undercut against Georgetown in the BET that year. Plus, the semi-final against Missouri on Friday night was a come from behind thriller that ended around 12:30 am if my memory serves me.
DC hurt his back against GTown the last game of the regular season in the Dome when we beat them. DC did not play in the BET or the 1st and 2nd round games in the NCAAT. Owens led SU to wins in those rounds. DC returned to play in the midwest regional against Missouri and then Illinois. DC played mostly center that year. He was still feeling the effects of his back injury was not 100%. I contend to this day that if DC hadn't hurt his back in the last game, that SU wins the NC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom