That's the worst end to a game I've ever seen | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

That's the worst end to a game I've ever seen

I think if I were at that game, I could’ve been in my seat for the third down and out of the dome before the 4th down spike. I get fed up and leave like I have the runs

you knew it wasn’t going to end well other than some absolute miracle. The 4th down spike was absolutely what the masses needed to stir it up and soil their BVD’s but the odds of that 4th down play being successful are 5-6%.

and I get it but team way outplayed what anyone was expecting today... ( Dino fired, 5th year blah blah, can’t recruit blah blah, no qb, blah blah)

Only one thing worked on offense all game and that one thing was the only reason we were even on the seven yard line. And then we completely abandon that one thing.

Should have thrown Taj the ball every play once we were in the red zone lol it’s criminal he didn’t touch the ball the last four plays
I agree. Throw to #3 three straight times. He was playing hard enough to make a play. If he doesnt score or if its picked I can live with that.

I agree. Throw to #3 three straight times. He was playing hard enough to make a play. If he doesnt score or if its picked I can live with that.
I thought we were gonna go to Benson.

can you imagine the abuse Taj would be taking or the OC after that sequence?

I mean yeah of course everyone would live with a pick. And on fourth literally ANYTHING... ANYTHING... other than SPIKING THE BALL ON FOURTH has a chance to score. I don’t care if we ran the annexation of Puerto Rico’s Statue of Liberty flea flickin’ philly special nimbus 2000 but we snapped the ball 50 feet over culpepper’s head and it was picked up by Cooper Lutz staring at 11 state players including 15 cave trolls from deep in mordor.

The odds of that working are higher than SPIKING IT INTO THE GROUND LMAO.

Only one thing worked on offense all game and that one thing was the only reason we were even on the seven yard line. And then we completely abandon that one thing.

Should have thrown Taj the ball every play once we were in the red zone lol it’s criminal he didn’t touch the ball the last four plays

Heck, If we don’t count the center, the ONLY person who touched the ball was Rex. That’s criminal.

Last edited:

You didn't like that he was a decoy on that 3rd down? He barely moved on the play.

Watching the play again it was either horribly designed or Nykeim ran the wrong route. Queely, Nykeim, and Benson ended up all in the same area. Had Nykeim ran to the back of the endzone toward the right he would have been open. And when Rex went right he could have followed and been open as well.

That being said Rex doesn't have the arm to be on the right hash and throw the ball outside. So why have Benson be the primary on a throw he cannot make? BTW Rex made a good decision not to throw as the defender jumped that route.

If it was a wheel for Benson, then why did neither Queely or Nykeim go to the right to open space up? had they done so they would have been options coming across the field when Rex scrambled right. Instead all three options on that side were to the left.

You didn't like that he was a decoy on that 3rd down? He barely moved on the play.

Watching the play again it was either horribly designed or Nykeim ran the wrong route. Queely, Nykeim, and Benson ended up all in the same area. Had Nykeim ran to the back of the endzone toward the right he would have been open. And when Rex went right he could have followed and been open as well.

That being said Rex doesn't have the arm to be on the right hash and throw the ball outside. So why have Benson be the primary on a throw he cannot make? BTW Rex made a good decision not to throw as the defender jumped that route.

If it was a wheel for Benson, then why did neither Queely or Nykeim go to the right to open space up? had they done so they would have been options coming across the field when Rex scrambled right. Instead all three options on that side were to the left.
I havent watched any of the replays yet. I will have to watch it to see but Im sure I will have the same thoughts as you.

our wideouts haven’t a clue what to do when a qb scrambles. It’s bizarre.

It's like kick the can when your runner jumps out from behind the tree going for the can and the the peeps on the same team stand there looking at each other.

Really that first down play is mind boggling. The refs blew the play dead with 42 seconds left. NC State took their timeout with 30 seconds left. At the time our guys were still looking toward the sideline for a play. Why were we not prepared with a 2nd play to go with? Why did 12 seconds go off the clock and we were not ready to snap the ball?

Sure Rex wasted 2 seconds on the 2nd down play by running it out of bounds. And he wasted 15 seconds by not throwing it away on 3rd down. But you need to save time should there be a sack or a completion short of the endzone. No urgency after the 1st down run and not being prepared with a play is unacceptable.

So did Dino actually explain what happened? There was a lot of time between the sack and when Rex snapped the ball. Did they frantically tell him to call a play? Did Rex even look to the sidelines?

Problem was State was playing zone and only rushing 3...would have been better to throw sideline screen or something and make it 2v2. No opening for those crossing patterns.

our wideouts haven’t a clue what to do when a qb scrambles. It’s bizarre.
Last week on the fourth down and five against Louisville, Morgan was scrambling to the right looking for a wide receiver and Queeley never turned around had his back to Morgan and Harris was two yards out of bounds playing paddy cake with the Louisville defender. I have been saying it for a long time, Syracuse does not have good receivers and that includes Harris who has dropped at least five touchdowns this year. I watch other P5 teams and even G5 teams and they have receivers. I'm still waiting for a Syracuse receiver to go up and get a contested ball.

I never understood our scramble system. There should be scramble rules set in place. Our wr's never seem to get open enough for QB's to throw it. There's a big disconnect there.

it’s something we inherently learned playing in the backyard. I don’t get it.

45 seconds left at the seven yard line, how in the world do you run out of time

Nc state gave us a timeout

The whole reason he was brought here was to go fast!

Running off 22 seconds on third down is just unbelievable. It was nunesian where you had plenty of time to process the debacle in real time

Just amazing!
Said it before
...Dino chokes!

So did Dino actually explain what happened? There was a lot of time between the sack and when Rex snapped the ball. Did they frantically tell him to call a play? Did Rex even look to the sidelines?

No of course he didn't. He gave some bizarre answer about "this is something that we practice", and then the cliche "that play didn't cost us the game". Of course the media didn't follow up or actually ask a tough question.

you knew it wasn’t going to end well other than some absolute miracle. The 4th down spike was absolutely what the masses needed to stir it up and soil their BVD’s but the odds of that 4th down play being successful are 5-6%.

and I get it but team way outplayed what anyone was expecting today... ( Dino fired, 5th year blah blah, can’t recruit blah blah, no qb, blah blah)

The fact that the team as you noted "way outplayed what anyone was expecting", sums up how far this program has fallen from 2 years ago when l 75% of this board was predicting 10 wins and the Orange Bowl.

No of course he didn't. He gave some bizarre answer about "this is something that we practice", and then the cliche "that play didn't cost us the game". Of course the media didn't follow up or actually ask a tough question.
I’m not out for blood, and I don’t think asking him what happened is in any way a tough question. I’d just be interested to know what the heck happened.

Could anyone see the sideline? Were they signaling a play? It’d be weird as hell for Rex to not even look at the sideline, since it seems that SU has everyone on offense look to the sideline on every down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom