The 2021-2022 Portal Cup | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

The 2021-2022 Portal Cup

There have to be a lot of anxious athletes in that mix. Guys who walked away from full scholarships at good schools to chase what, a dream? A chance? I’m not a fan of the current system. But maybe, just maybe, it will direct kids to putting their educations ahead of football.

and 2nd semester starts up within a few weeks (earlier in the South.) Would love to know what the other 66% of kids are going to do for the spring semester. Wonder if they've started the financial aid process yet.

So the new “normal” looks like 12-14 player in the portal every year in addition to graduation which is what another 15-20 per year? So 35% of team is going to turn over each year?

So the new “normal” looks like 12-14 player in the portal every year in addition to graduation which is what another 15-20 per year? So 35% of team is going to turn over each year?
A number of the schools with the larger numbers had coaching changers recently. We are an exception but let’s see what we can do to replace the players that left.

No, once the fact that a thousand kids that had scholarships have no home, or a minimum worse one, this whole thing will calm down.

And when’s the last time SU had a fifth yr class had twenty players left?

I think the first year or two will be a big shakeout. Lots of kids may not like their landing spot, many may even find they are now paying for college out of their own pockets. Kids will learn it’s not what they think for many of them.

At the same time, schools will get better at being selective and balancing their rosters.

This will work out for a lot of kids, and it will utterly fail for a lot of kids.

I think the first year or two will be a big shakeout. Lots of kids may not like their landing spot, many may even find they are now paying for college out of their own pockets. Kids will learn it’s not what they think for many of them.

At the same time, schools will get better at being selective and balancing their rosters.

This will work out for a lot of kids, and it will utterly fail for a lot of kids.
And maybe this is what controls the portal. It sort of self regulates.

Yup. These transfers have to know their value before they enter the portal. For example the Isaiah Johnson kid must have known he would have some decent opportunities elsewhere.

I think there may come to be a significant percentage who give up football--buried on the depth chart at your current school with little prospect of catching on with another program. You go to the coach, and he helps you find a combination of scholarship/grant/loan money to cover your expenses through graduation. This makes more sense than going to the portal, not being offered a slot and going through the whole transfer process (and perhaps losing credits in the process).

And, the coach has opened up a roster slot.

Yup. These transfers have to know their value before they enter the portal. For example the Isaiah Johnson kid must have known he would have some decent opportunities elsewhere.
Seems a good amount of known FCS transfers are hot commodities on the market whereas known FBS cats are sitting and waiting for offers

Seems a good amount of known FCS transfers are hot commodities on the market whereas known FBS cats are sitting and waiting for offers
Really believe after spring practice, and a lot of players at the factories find out they are still at the bottom, you will see significant movement.

The first year where this transfer option will be available is the biggest, then the following year will probably still be pretty big. After that it'll normalize though and I suspect at a lot less than 35%.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom