The 2022 Sean Tucker Thread... | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

The 2022 Sean Tucker Thread...

Agree. Sure, there was a time when solely performance mattered but it has not been all that recent.

This century, the traditional football factories have dominated the Heisman. The exceptions were guys who played on really good teams (Jackson-Louisville-9-4 record, Mariotta-Oregon-13-2 record, Manzel-A&M- 11-2 record, Griffin-Baylor-10-3 record). You can keep going back before the 2000's and it generally still applies.

When you don't play for a traditional power (much less a team like SU that has not done much of anything in quite awhile) and your team has not even made a bowl in your career to-date, you are starting out with a built-in disadvantage as a Heisman candidate. It has been that way for a fairly long time now.
Yep, The Heisman award is not the best football player in FBS. It’s the best football player on a highly successful team. Throw in some other bias, (such as the 87 Heisman) as well.

I have to disagree. Why didn't Don McPherson win the Heisman? That really sucked. The elite always had an edge on the Heisman.

The Notre Dame hype machine runs 365 days a year.

Nobody heard of Donnie Mac until after we beat Penn St.

He got very few votes outside of the East.

And some of the East vote got siphoned off by Gordie Lockbaum
Exactly. Sports Illustrated ran hard for Gordie at Holy Cross. It split the East vote where Donnie should have cleaned up. And pulled other national votes away too. It was a travesty.

Can you imagine a kid from, let’s say Lehigh, being pumped today for the Heisman because he plays a little bit of 2-way football?

And some of the East vote got siphoned off by Gordie Lockbaum
Who shouldn't have gotten any votes, wasn't playing
Exactly. Sports Illustrated ran hard for Gordie at Holy Cross. It split the East vote where Donnie should have cleaned up. And pulled other national votes away too. It was a travesty.

Can you imagine a kid from, let’s say Lehigh, being pumped today for the Heisman because he plays a little bit of 2-way football?
And as a division 1AA he shouldn't have received any votes. If you don't compete in 1A he shouldn't have been on the ballot.
That's like saying the top player in triple a in baseball should have a chance of being MVP in the American League.

Yep, The Heisman award is not the best football player in FBS. It’s the best football player on a highly successful team. Throw in some other bias, (such as the 87 Heisman) as well.
This is true, but the gap is widened. Was always hard, now it’s near impossible.

I'm confused...I am under the impression that Tucker is a sophmore this year. I thought you couldn't be drafted until your Junior class. Am I wrong about this.

I'm confused...I am under the impression that Tucker is a sophmore this year. I thought you couldn't be drafted until your Junior class. Am I wrong about this.

Yes. You were wrong about his eligibility.

He will be 3 years removed from HS after this season -
Hence, eligible for NFL draft.

He gone.

Play Action might be a useful decoy this year?
Followed by a pass over the middle to the TE

jurassic park mind blown GIF by Spotify

I expect to see a few two back sets with these guys.

I think we should base full house with two tight (one being another OL)

just for the head exploding fun

NEVER SAW THIS SEAN TUCKER STORY!

I never remember seeing how fast Sean Tucker is until this afternoon. I always estimated he was a true 4.4 but his burst and ability to run away from fast DB’s made me think he could be faster. I have been looking, googling, entering Sean Tuckers 40 speed and it would come up with 40 speed with a line through it. Guess I got lucky today.

Kept looking and there it was. An article by Chris Carlson in 2020 about his speed.

Carlson takes us back to when Sean was a sophomore at Calvert Hall in Towson MD.

“Calvert’s starting running back, a senior, suffered a high ankle sprain. The other options faltered. So Calvert Hall turned to Tucker, who responded with 148 yards and an 89-yard touchdown run.

In his first year at Syracuse, Tucker arrived under the assumption he’d probably redshirt. Then Syracuse’s top two projected running backs opted out of the season. Tucker traveled to North Carolina but did not play, then saw brief action against Pittsburgh. He was second in line for playing time against Georgia Tech when starter Jawhar Jordan left with an injury.

Tucker banged out four yards on his first two touches and scored a 38-yard touchdown on the third. He finished with 112 yards and two scores, bringing balance to an offense in desperate need of it.

Sean was introduced to the weight room early, tagging along with his father, developing a work ethic that helped him grow a running back’s strength. He’s always been fast.

“He has elite speed in the open field that you’re not even seeing yet, and he’s a powerful kid, built really well,' " said Dominque Warren, an assistant who coached Tucker with Calvert Hall and is now an assistant at Sidwell Friends. "He was always good for a 40, 50, 70-yard run, and he wasn’t just a great outside runner. He was a good inside runner who could make a guy miss and get to the hole. He’s dynamic and he’s powerful.”

Following Tucker’s breakout football season, he attended a football camp at Bowie State University that attracted coaches from around the country. Tucker, who was in the middle of a track and field season, blistered a 40-yard dash that was timed between 4.27 and 4.29 seconds.

The coaches in attendance weren’t quite sure they believed their watches.

“I knew he’d run a low 4.3,” Warren said. “Maybe 4.29. I brought the coaches over and said, ‘You’re going to want to get a time on him.' Some had 4.27. Some had 4.29. No one had above a 4.3. They looked at it and said, ‘You’re going to have to run him again.' "

Minutes later, Tucker ran again, delivering a run timed between 4.29 and 4.31 seconds. Suddenly, he was on the radar of colleges across the country including Michigan, which was represented by current L.A. Chargers quarterback coach Pep Hamilton.

Syracuse was the most serious immediately, though.

Syracuse tight end/inside receivers coach Reno Ferri worked at Towson University before coming to Syracuse and had earned the trust of the Calvert Hall staff. They tipped him off to Tucker’s potential.

The Orange were the first to offer Tucker a scholarship, a show of belief that held sway throughout the recruiting process, helping the Orange beat out offers from Wisconsin, Rutgers and others. Tucker became the second player in Syracuse’s Class of 2020, offering his verbal commitment in April of 2019.

His high school coaches believe his early commitment, as well as their choice to limit his carries to prioritize his long-term future, helped contribute to Syracuse getting a three-star steal.

The combination of speed and power that helped Tucker thrive as a high school player looks like it will carry over to the college level, along with Tucker’s penchant for being prepared. Despite his place in the preseason pecking order, Tucker worked hard to learn the offense, which asks him to make offensive line calls in addition to running the ball.

He showed promise in limited opportunities against Pittsburgh (four carries for 25 yards). It earned him a larger role last week.

Tucker became the first Syracuse freshman to run for 100 yards against an FBS opponent since 2008, winning the ACC’s top running back of the week award. He’s just the fourth true freshman in Syracuse history to hit the mark against an FBS opponent, joining Antwon Bailey, Delone Carter and Joe Morris.”

Those who know Sean Tucker best have seen this show. They think Syracuse fans will enjoy it - syracuse.com

Great story if you have time. I knew my hunch was right. That is elite speed. Sean is the deal. A burner. One of the fastest ever at SU. I hope he has a great, great year and we do too.

Last edited:

Its become the best qb who's won the most games.

NEVER SAW THIS SEAN TUCKER STORY!

I never remember seeing how fast Sean Tucker is until this afternoon. I always estimated he was a true 4.4 but his burst and ability to run away from fast DB’s made me think he could be faster. I have been looking, googling, entering Sean Tuckers 40 speed and it would come up with 40 speed with a line through it. Guess I got lucky today.

Kept looking and there it was. An article by Chris Carlson in 2020 about his speed.

Carlson takes us back to when Sean was a sophomore at Calvert Hall in Towson MD.

“Calvert’s starting running back, a senior, suffered a high ankle sprain. The other options faltered. So Calvert Hall turned to Tucker, who responded with 148 yards and an 89-yard touchdown run.

In his first year at Syracuse, Tucker arrived under the assumption he’d probably redshirt. Then Syracuse’s top two projected running backs opted out of the season. Tucker traveled to North Carolina but did not play, then saw brief action against Pittsburgh. He was second in line for playing time against Georgia Tech when starter Jawhar Jordan left with an injury.

Tucker banged out four yards on his first two touches and scored a 38-yard touchdown on the third. He finished with 112 yards and two scores, bringing balance to an offense in desperate need of it.

Sean was introduced to the weight room early, tagging along with his father, developing a work ethic that helped him grow a running back’s strength. He’s always been fast.

“He has elite speed in the open field that you’re not even seeing yet, and he’s a powerful kid, built really well,' " said Dominque Warren, an assistant who coached Tucker with Calvert Hall and is now an assistant at Sidwell Friends. "He was always good for a 40, 50, 70-yard run, and he wasn’t just a great outside runner. He was a good inside runner who could make a guy miss and get to the hole. He’s dynamic and he’s powerful.”

Following Tucker’s breakout football season, he attended a football camp at Bowie State University that attracted coaches from around the country. Tucker, who was in the middle of a track and field season, blistered a 40-yard dash that was timed between 4.27 and 4.29 seconds.

The coaches in attendance weren’t quite sure they believed their watches.

“I knew he’d run a low 4.3,” Warren said. “Maybe 4.29. I brought the coaches over and said, ‘You’re going to want to get a time on him.' Some had 4.27. Some had 4.29. No one had above a 4.3. They looked at it and said, ‘You’re going to have to run him again.' "

Minutes later, Tucker ran again, delivering a run timed between 4.29 and 4.31 seconds. Suddenly, he was on the radar of colleges across the country including Michigan, which was represented by current L.A. Chargers quarterback coach Pep Hamilton.

Syracuse was the most serious immediately, though.

Syracuse tight end/inside receivers coach Reno Ferri worked at Towson University before coming to Syracuse and had earned the trust of the Calvert Hall staff. They tipped him off to Tucker’s potential.

The Orange were the first to offer Tucker a scholarship, a show of belief that held sway throughout the recruiting process, helping the Orange beat out offers from Wisconsin, Rutgers and others. Tucker became the second player in Syracuse’s Class of 2020, offering his verbal commitment in April of 2019.

His high school coaches believe his early commitment, as well as their choice to limit his carries to prioritize his long-term future, helped contribute to Syracuse getting a three-star steal.

The combination of speed and power that helped Tucker thrive as a high school player looks like it will carry over to the college level, along with Tucker’s penchant for being prepared. Despite his place in the preseason pecking order, Tucker worked hard to learn the offense, which asks him to make offensive line calls in addition to running the ball.

He showed promise in limited opportunities against Pittsburgh (four carries for 25 yards). It earned him a larger role last week.

Tucker became the first Syracuse freshman to run for 100 yards against an FBS opponent since 2008, winning the ACC’s top running back of the week award. He’s just the fourth true freshman in Syracuse history to hit the mark against an FBS opponent, joining Antwon Bailey, Delone Carter and Joe Morris.”

Those who know Sean Tucker best have seen this show. They think Syracuse fans will enjoy it - syracuse.com

Great story if you have time. I knew my hunch was right. That is elite speed. Sean is the deal. A burner. One of the fastest ever at SU. I hope he has a great, great year and we do too.
Yeah, I remember reading that. I believe those were hand timed, so he's probably not sub 4.3, but he is blistering fast. In high school his best 100m was 10.77. He ran a best 55m indoor of 6.41. This year his best indoor 60m was 6.90.

I'm guessing his combine 40 time will be low 4.4.

Its become the best qb who's won the most games.
Mostly, but a WR won it two years ago. And Lamar Jackson had something like 4 losses the year he won it.

Some of the problem is the voting. Some of it is how QB oriented the offenses have become with so many of them having huge rushing numbers to go along with eye popping passing numbers. It used to be you had to compare a QB's passing stats to a RBs running stats. Now when the best RB has 1800 yards and the leading QB has 1000 rushing yards to go with his 4000 passing yards and 45 TDs, it's hard not to go with the QB. I also think part of it is that the elite talent isn't as spread around as it was in the 80's and 90's. The factories have really consolidated things.

Mostly, but a WR won it two years ago. And Lamar Jackson had something like 4 losses the year he won it.

Some of the problem is the voting. Some of it is how QB oriented the offenses have become with so many of them having huge rushing numbers to go along with eye popping passing numbers. It used to be you had to compare a QB's passing stats to a RBs running stats. Now when the best RB has 1800 yards and the leading QB has 1000 rushing yards to go with his 4000 passing yards and 45 TDs, it's hard not to go with the QB. I also think part of it is that the elite talent isn't as spread around as it was in the 80's and 90's. The factories have really consolidated things.
Ya those are more aberrations though. Imo the best player in college football in 2001 was Dwight freeney. He finished 9th. 9 out of 10 times it's going to be the best spread QB that's wins it.

The factories have made it difficult for everyone else.
"In a study by MaxPreps, seven programs have signed 55% of the five - star prospects since 2011. They include LSU, Bama, Clemson, Florida State and Ohio State as well as USC and Georgia." Sports Illustrated, Ross Dellinger, Sept. 15, 2021.

The factories have made it difficult for everyone else.
"In a study by MaxPreps, seven programs have signed 55% of the five - star prospects since 2011. They include LSU, Bama, Clemson, Florida State and Ohio State as well as USC and Georgia." Sports Illustrated, Ross Dellinger, Sept. 15, 2021.

Harbaugh needs to up his sleepover game.

Those khakis aren’t gonna pleat themselves!

Moar bricks!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom