The ACC and UMD were back in court yesterday... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The ACC and UMD were back in court yesterday...

Isn't that impossible due to Maryland signing their grant of rights with BiG?

I think Maryland left themselves a back-door way back into the ACC if they can't defeat the $52M exit fee before the deadline for filing the paperwork with the ACC in order to move to the Big 10. I still say this is not 100% a done deal, and personally, I would prefer Maryland back in the ACC to lock up that part of the recruiting territory, and keep what I consider an important potential rival.

If you think about it, how could anyone in the ACC ever trust Maryland? They did all of their negotiations in secret via Non-Disclosure with the Big Ten where it was so secret they were at least borderline if not outright in violation of Maryland Law. The State of Maryland has an Open Meetings Act that the Maryland Board of Regents were found to have violated. They blindsided the rest of the ACC, which they were a founder, and they did not give the ACC an opportunity to counter offer or even work with Maryland to address any of Maryland's issues.

Then to top it off, the ACC Exit Fee is in place via motion by Dr. Wallace Loh of Maryland. It is his idea. He didn't vote to raise it in 2012, but he made the motion that put it in place in the first place. Who knows when he first contacted the Big Ten? Was it before his vote to avoid the increase to $52 million? Then he's publicly announced his intention to ignore the ACC bylaws on his way out which is the genesis of the lawsuits. He knew what the exit fee was before he decided to join the Big Ten. The ACC has replaced Maryland already. I don't see the ACC welcoming Maryland's return.

Isn't that impossible due to Maryland signing their grant of rights with BiG?

I don't see how they could have done that yet without having officially exited the ACC. It's only their Big 10 earnings that they can pledge to the league. Can't force them to give the revenues from another conference (at least, I don't think so ...).

If you think about it, how could anyone in the ACC ever trust Maryland? They did all of their negotiations in secret via Non-Disclosure with the Big Ten where it was so secret they were at least borderline if not outright in violation of Maryland Law. The State of Maryland has an Open Meetings Act that the Maryland Board of Regents were found to have violated. They blindsided the rest of the ACC, which they were a founder, and they did not give the ACC an opportunity to counter offer or even work with Maryland to address any of Maryland's issues.

Then to top it off, the ACC Exit Fee is in place via motion by Dr. Wallace Loh of Maryland. It is his idea. He didn't vote to raise it in 2012, but he made the motion that put it in place in the first place. Who knows when he first contacted the Big Ten? Was it before his vote to avoid the increase to $52 million? Then he's publicly announced his intention to ignore the ACC bylaws on his way out which is the genesis of the lawsuits. He knew what the exit fee was before he decided to join the Big Ten. The ACC has replaced Maryland already. I don't see the ACC welcoming Maryland's return.

Well, they would make for 15 with Louisville, and Notre Dame will be 16. Works out just fine, but it takes the Penn State option off the board for the ACC when ND's football contract with NBC is up.

If they stay you take UConn for 16, and see if Texas wants same deal as Notre Dame. After a few years Texas with LHN, and Notre Dame can become full members. Dodds, Swarbrick get Texas , Notre Dame in a conference together, which may be why they were both talking to the ACC in the 1st place.

If they stay you take UConn for 16
Heck no. Why do that?

15 (3*5) works fine from a scheduling standpoint. The NCAA will need to bless the arrangement, however. Otherwise go with unbalanced divisions and work it out.

The point being, that if the ACC is not sold on Yukon then they shouldn't be bamboozled into taking them just because Maryland's escape plan was faulty.

Not that it matters, MD ain't coming back. Too much bad blood at this point, IMO.

"4-8 record? F you pay me. Randy Edsall? F you, pay me. Ugly uniforms? F you, pay me." -John Swofford, ACC

If Maryland signed the B1G GOR, there is no issue so long as they leave the ACC in time to meet the GOR requirements. The ACC owns their rights for now, but under the ACC requirements, Maryland does not have to place the ACC on notice until August (I think). Yes, I think that Maryland's formal notice is not sufficient to meet their claims, but for argument's sake, we will assume it is so.

Each team could sign GORs for other conferences no, so long as they meet the GOR of their present conference first and then switch.

What would be awesome is if Maryland limps back to the ACC, and the Big 10 ends up having to keep that traveshamockery Rutgers.

If Md were to go back to the ACC, the B10 would call SU. Then the ACC would call UConn.

Sent using my Commodore 64

What would be awesome is if Maryland limps back to the ACC, and the Big 10 ends up having to keep that traveshamockery Rutgers.

If Md were to go back to the ACC, the B10 would call SU. Then the ACC would call UConn.

If that were to happen, I would hope the powers-that-be up on the Hill would hang up on that call. The ACC just makes w-a-y more sense to SU than the B10.

If that were to happen, I would hope the powers-that-be up on the Hill would hang up on that call. The ACC just makes w-a-y more sense to SU than the B10.

Where would we get 52 million and we just signed the Grant of Rights.

Where would we get 52 million and we just signed the Grant of Rights.

UConn

UConn

Fishy and Pudge can take up a collection on their conference realignment board. They keep posting how rich they all are...

See, I don't want that to happen, or think it should. We're in the right place in the ACC for a number of reasons.

Maryland is never going to stay in the ACC, but if they did their is a better chance Jim Delany would use all the negative press at Rutgers and just withdraw their invitation than the B1G adding a replacement for Maryland. The B1G would likely stay at 12 than replace Maryland and go back to 14.

OK, Bees, you have heard from others laying out the barriers to this occuring, but IF it were to occur why would SU or why should SU listen to a Big Ten pitch?

I can see only three potential reasons:

1, The Money. But the B1G money is based on the current structure of TV and the current technology. What happens when the technology allows customers to choose and pay for only games it wants to see?
2. Membership in the B1G research consortium. It's unclear to me that SU would benefit all that much. The school isn't a technical education powerhouse. It's more journalism and soft science than it is hard science.
3. Stability. I guess the B1G is more stable than the ACC.

Everything else I see lobbies for the ACC. Its where we "fit". It's where our fans have migrated to. It's where SU best sports work best.

OK, Bees, you have heard from others laying out the barriers to this occuring, but IF it were to occur why would SU or why should SU listen to a Big Ten pitch?

1, The Money. But the B1G money is based on the current structure of TV and the current technology. What happens when the technology allows customers to choose and pay for only games it wants to see?
2. Membership in the B1G research consortium. It's unclear to me that SU would benefit all that much. The school isn't a technical education powerhouse. It's more journalism and soft science than it is hard science.

Everything else I see lobbies for the ACC. Its where we "fit". It's where our fans have migrated to. It's where SU best sports work best.

Somebody pointed out somewhere that the ACC is well positioned to be the best Conference overall when it comes to all sports.

My post was made mostly TIC but I can see the B10 thinking about it.

BTW, I prefer the ACC.

My post was made mostly TIC but I can see the B10 thinking about it.

BTW, I prefer the ACC.

Oh, so can I see them thinking about it. They watch TV. They know we are #1 or 2 in BB attendance.They know SU games at MSG are essentially SU home games. They know that GU has to bend their ticket policies around to prevent SU fans from taking the place the Verizon Center.

When ND turned them down a number of years ago, the B1G head of the committee was interviewed about "Now what are you going to do?" One of the questions he was asked was about SU. He didn't say "No". What he said was something to the effect of "They meet the profile we are interested in". It was obvious to me that SU had been discussed at a minimum.

It would be nice to be asked to join the B1G. But I'm with you. SU isn't all that good a fit.

I think we are going to build some quick rivalries/relationships with some of these schools. We were getting close with VT in 2003. As the new guys, we just have to be competitive and win some games. After all, we have more in common with many of these schools than does Miami ... especially when Miami came into the ACC.

It would also wound Jim Delaney badly. I like that idea.

Which eastern Big 10 addition is going well right now?

Penn State was America's Scandal last year, and the stink of that unfortunate mess isn't going away anytime soon.

Rutgers is the current scandal, they've created such a mess. Although something tells me that there are those in or around that program that love the attention.

Maryland has a good portion of their fanbase that isn't interested in the move. Publicly everyone says they're on board, but only because they all know what a fiscal mess that school created for itself. And now they have to battle the exit fee, that they certainly can't pay, and aren't being given ACC money while the league considers them to owe a debt. Which is making them bleed even further in the red.

Maybe the Big 10 should just stick with the midwest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom