The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread

Wow Coach Orgeron redux? Sign me up. Guy was a complete madman when he was last on the hill. I would hope he would mold the past with the future. That would excite me for sure.

Orgeron should have gotten the USC job over Sarkisian but he wasn't USC-ish enough.
What is funny is that Sarkisian was dismissed for being too Orgeronian...

Last edited:
they're not hiring frost straight out of nebraska. considering how shaky their qb play is and how well they run the ball, they throw a decent amount. tenth in ypg last year, 21st the year before. i know, mariota...

but still they throw for 287 yards per game since frost took over. maybe they'd throw more if they played inside

oregon does run a lot but even montgomery and riley run more than they throw
Oregon doesn't run the triple option... Pretty sure they like to pass the ball.
Oregon is 53rd in passing this year. 3rd in rushing. I just don't see that as pass-happy but who knows.

Why Norvell? He's a current OC and their offense isn't great. Put it this way Syracuse has 251 points this year and ASU has 283. Okay, but not amazing. If we get an OC, get me someone like Frost or Riley whose teams have scored 380 and 417 points.
Here would be my list to interview:

Offensive Coordinators:

Lincoln Riley - Oklahoma
Scott Frost - Oregon
Mike Norvell - Arizona State

Coaches:

Justin Fuente - Memphis
Matt Rhule - Temple
Dino Babers - Bowling Green
Tom Herman - Houston
Chad Morris - SMU
Philip Montgomery - Tulsa
Bryan Harsin - Boise
Matt Campbell - Toledo

Last edited:
orangenirvana said:
Oregon is 53rd in passing this year. 3rd in rushing. I just don't see that as pass-happy but who knows.

Going with their strengths. They don't have a good QB. 53rds not bad when you're hamstrung.

Campbell doing a hell of a job right now on ESPN 2 against Central Michigan. Up 21-3 in the 2nd quarter and scored 3 tds in first 4 possessions. OVer 250 yards of offense so far.

what they've done on offense this year has been impressive considering no one thinks they are great at QB. their record is not up to their normal standards but they're still pretty awesome.
Which suggests something about systems and talent, but I have no idea what.

Campbell doing a hell of a job right now on ESPN 2 against Central Michigan. Up 21-3 in the 2nd quarter and scored 3 tds in first 4 possessions. OVer 250 yards of offense so far.
I agree this guy can coach. I think this group of top Mac coaches is going to turn out some quality. They seem to be more solid than the last batch who didn't really excite me much but I love Campbell and Babers and what they have seemed to build in a short period of time.

I agree this guy can coach. I think this group of top Mac coaches is going to turn out some quality. They seem to be more solid than the last batch who didn't really excite me much but I love Campbell and Babers and what they have seemed to build in a short period of time.

I said this last week about Campbell, you want him at Syracuse it would be best he loses a couple coming in. Stock for coaches rises and falls quickly..would help from him completely blowing up.

Old Dominion HC. Recognized for orchestrating the most successful start-up FCS program in history. Seems like the type of cerebral, high integrity HC with a proven rack record that would attract Syervud/Coyle's attention. He won't rock the fan base, but this is an interesting name.

http://www.odusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=208409198
Not that I have great sources, but I know some people at ODU and the sentiment is that he takes a lot of pride in their program and might hang around for a while.

Reactions: 007
Whoever is brought in needs to either fully understand offensive line play or bring in a dynamo offensive line coach. If we're going to run an air raid or up-tempo type of offense, it all starts with our offensive line play. We have some big boys down there that need to be coached up. If they pan out, we got most of these kids for another 4 years. This is something that is often way overlooked.

Also, while I am more focused on having a potent offense than a stingy defense, I would love to see Daoust get a shot at DC. I believe in this current defensive scheme and with some secondary tweaks and blitz packages, it can be effective again. Doesn't need to be a shutdown type of D, but good enough to stop opposing drives and get the occasional turnover. Bullough is way too stubborn and you know that Daoust is licking his chops to be able to start running that defense.
Eh. Air raid, up tempo, spread etc. are all great offenses (duh) if you're not great on the offensive line.

Ugh, I hope not.

When I think of Frost, I think of running offenses. Sure, he can get it done as the OC of Oregon where the talent is through the roof but will that scheme work at Syracuse? And we still play in a Dome!

Wells has been able to win at Utah State which is nice but this isn't the MWC. Utah State is currently 100th in passing and was 94th last year.
Utah State has also been able to stay competitive while dealing with an insane amount of injuries to their QBs.

I said this last week about Campbell, you want him at Syracuse it would be best he loses a couple coming in. Stock for coaches rises and falls quickly..would help from him completely blowing up.

I'm way late to the party on this entire thread b/c I've pretty much shifted gears entirely to basketball, but I'll start here. Why not? I agree with this point but would also like to say, relative to what seems like an inevitable search for a new HC, Cuse is going to have to pay. Honestly, you could make the argument that unless the Cuse is going to pay you and give you money for your staff and commit to keeping up in the facilities arms race, then you're better off waiting for a different offer to come in. I'm not trying to say the Cuse can't be good again, but to beat out almost any other P5 school, they are going to have to dig deep in those pockets and search through every couch cushion.

Point being: whether Campbell blows up and we can't get him or he ends up being a viable possibility, I think the coaching budget will double ... at a minimum.

Exactly. Which is why we need a Babers or a Brohm or a Montgomery or a Riley or a Cumbie.

Not saying Frost couldn't be a great head coach. No idea. But I want SU to stop ignoring the Carrier Dome when determining who should run this program. I'd rather we take our chances on Air Raid over Triple Option.
I've got a feeling if Frost is ever our HC, you'll like what you see from our offense.

Today, he was still talking about the decision to keep Dungey in the game down 31, and still seemed to think his reasoning made sense. I think that should be enough to convince you that it's time. Shafer is a good man and he cares about his players. He didn't leave Dungey in because he is Tim Beckman part 2. what is so scary, however, is his reasoning gives a glimpse into what he is thinking on the sideline. That, along with a lot of other goofy in game decisions tells me he just isn't all there. He may be too crazy for his(and our) own good. His buddy Harbaugh is just as intense and crazy but he channels it somehow.
So... this is precisely why I get hung up on how coaches view their opportunities on 4th down. It is a window to the soul.

Lincoln Riley has a lot of upside, though is going to have bumps in the road for a few years. He has only been at OU this season and still learning a lot. I have watched him this year and he struggled adjusting to the personnel that the sooners have. Something finally clicked and now he has the offense on a roll (scoring over 50 in last four games).

He does well with in-game adjusting though I would be curious to see who he would bring for assistants. I think he will be a good head coach in a few years, though eiher we wait or bring him in with the expectation that it will take a couple seasons to really reach his potential.

CMU coming back 17-21 just like N Illinois did last week to beat Toledo but seems Toledo will hang on for the win. Personally I think Cambell needs a few more years being a HC as I have watched a few games now. Just ok what Ive seen so far but nothing over the top. Liked BC & Temple offenses better in the few games I've watched and plan on watching WMU this week too.

Here's the trade off. If we go with a HC, they are coming from either a MAC or AAC school. But I am ok with an OC from a top tier P5 school like the guy mentioned from Oregon (Frost).

Last edited:
CMU coming back 17-21 just like N Illinois did last week to beat Toledo but seems Toledo will hang on for the win. Personally I think Cambell needs a few more years being a HC as I have watched a few games now. Just don't like what Ive seen so far.

Here's the trade off. If we go with a HC, they are coming from either a MAC or AAC school. But I am ok with an OC from a top tier P5 school like the guy mentioned from Oregon.
Toledo was up 21-0 I beleive. Started watching half way through. CMU was just 1st and goal from the 2 and got squat. Toledo just scored. 28-17. But ya, not impressed with the Toledo HC tonight

I liked him as a college player and I hated Nebraska.
I never really cared much for Nebraska until I went there for a couple of games.
Great fanbase, knowledgeable and respectful. Great game day experience and Lincoln is a lot of fun.

Are we 100% ruling out a NFL type just because GERG was an abject failure? I would smell out guys like Bill O'Brien, Patricia, as well. When Marrone was selected no one was mentioning him at all. He was an NFL type w local ties. I can't imagine we're going to hire a 32 year old kid from Oklahoma. Al Davis isn't running Syracuse.

I'm not sure we know exactly who is running Syracuse... I like the new members of the BOT. Kent and Mark have made a few small smart moves and I think a bunch of internal work... But guessing who they will hire as FB coach? No idea outside of the wee bit of news in this thread.[/QUOTE]

Bill O'Brien makes $5 mil a year, good luck.

Not that I have great sources, but I know some people at ODU and the sentiment is that he takes a lot of pride in their program and might hang around for a while.
He should stay there at least until we have hired our coach!

Today, he was still talking about the decision to keep Dungey in the game down 31, and still seemed to think his reasoning made sense. I think that should be enough to convince you that it's time. Shafer is a good man and he cares about his players. He didn't leave Dungey in because he is Tim Beckman part 2. what is so scary, however, is his reasoning gives a glimpse into what he is thinking on the sideline. That, along with a lot of other goofy in game decisions tells me he just isn't all there. He may be too crazy for his(and our) own good. His buddy Harbaugh is just as intense and crazy but he channels it somehow.

You are right...I think that every HC should send the clear message to his team that he quits when he gets down because the game is over at that point.

I was taught that the game isn't over until the clock reads 00:00 and until that point you fight your ass off to win the game and give maximum effort because you never know what may happen.

Any coach that doesn't think that way, or any coach that even hints of a different message to the kids he coaches, simply shouldn't be a coach of young people. Period.

I Would get rid of Shafer for one reason and one only, lack of progress in moving the program forward in any way shape or form.

So... this is precisely why I get hung up on how coaches view their opportunities on 4th down. It is a window to the soul.
Window to the soul? OK, now I am REALLY worried about you.