The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread

You are right...I think that every HC should send the clear message to his team that he quits when he gets down because the game is over at that point.

I was taught that the game isn't over until the clock reads 00:00 and until that point you fight your ass off to win the game and give maximum effort because you never know what may happen.

Any coach that doesn't think that way, or any coach that even hints of a different message to the kids he coaches, simply shouldn't be a coach of young people. Period.

I Would get rid of Shafer for one reason and one only, lack of progress in moving the program forward in any way shape or form.

Wrong thread guys, concussion stuff elsewhere...

He should stay there at least until we have hired our coach!
I get why you aren't excited about him. I think he could be really good here though.

CuseOnly said:
I'm not sure we know exactly who is running Syracuse... I like the new members of the BOT. Kent and Mark have made a few small smart moves and I think a bunch of internal work... But guessing who they will hire as FB coach? No idea outside of the wee bit of news in this thread.
Bill O'Brien makes $5 mil a year, good luck.[/QUOTE]

I'm not advocating for an NFL type. The quote was broken - I'm just arguing that we don't really know what Kent/Mark/BoT will do.

I get why you aren't excited about him. I think he could be really good here though.
ODU just got into the FBS in 2014. Wilder is 10-11 so far in the FBS. That is simply not a body of work on which to hire a P5 coach. I think he represents a bigger risk than even a P5 coordinator IMO.

Eh. Air raid, up tempo, spread etc. are all great offenses (duh) if you're not great on the offensive line.

Come again? So it doesn't matter if you have a good offensive line? It all starts with the offensive line. We don't need bruisers up there, but zone blocking with average guys can give enough time for patterns to develop and give the qb time to go through his reads.

ODU just got into the FBS in 2014. Wilder is 10-11 so far in the FBS. That is simply not a body of work on which to hire a P5 coach. I think he represents a bigger risk than even a P5 coordinator IMO.
10-11 your first two years in FBS is impressive to me. they can't compete with p5 teams at all yet but i'd be fine with him

You are right...I think that every HC should send the clear message to his team that he quits when he gets down because the game is over at that point.

I was taught that the game isn't over until the clock reads 00:00 and until that point you fight your ass off to win the game and give maximum effort because you never know what may happen.

Any coach that doesn't think that way, or any coach that even hints of a different message to the kids he coaches, simply shouldn't be a coach of young people. Period.

I Would get rid of Shafer for one reason and one only, lack of progress in moving the program forward in any way shape or form.

Quitting is punting when down big later in the game, which he has done many times. Taking your oft injured prized QB out of a blowout late isn't quitting, it's smart. He has done that before too, as he should have. it is another example of his poor in-game decision making this year. You can stick with your rah rah crap, I will stick with my smart crap.

If we have learned anything during the Shafer era it should be that experience matters. It is the most reliable indicator of future success. We hired a great DC with no HC experience who hired an OC with no experience and a QB coach with D3 experience and OLine coach with no OLine experience.. IMO Shafer failed because he hired kpoorly by ignoring experience.

CFB is a tough business and is not self-taught.

IMO, our criteria should include HC's in the MAC or AAC and/or P5 OC's with extensive experience under highly successful head coaches. Is there an exception out there? Sure, but can we really be rolling the dice at this point? There are plenty of high probability hires out there and we need to go get one. Going cheap and taking a bigger risk can cost a lot more over the next 5 years than paying up now.

I am going to continue to have faith in Coyle until he proves me wrong therefore, I am looking forward to an exciting hire we can all rally around.

If we have learned anything during the Shafer era it should be that experience matters. It is the most reliable indicator of future success. We hired a great DC with no HC experience who hired an OC with no experience and a QB coach with D3 experience and OLine coach with no OLine experience.. IMO Shafer failed because he hired kpoorly by ignoring experience.

CFB is a tough business and is not self-taught.

IMO, our criteria should include HC's in the MAC or AAC and/or P5 OC's with extensive experience under highly successful head coaches. Is there an exception out there? Sure, but can we really be rolling the dice at this point? There are plenty of high probability hires out there and we need to go get one. Going cheap and taking a bigger risk can cost a lot more over the next 5 years than paying up now.

I am going to continue to have faith in Coyle until he proves me wrong therefore, I am looking forward to an exciting hire we can all rally around.

Absolutely. We will rally, I have no doubt. I really don't

10-11 your first two years in FBS is impressive to me. they can't compete with p5 teams at all yet but i'd be fine with him

Marrone was .500 and it got him an NFL job. this success is equal if not better. look, he's not my first choice but worthy of a look, IMO. just me. Guy has solid experience of building a program.

We need a junkyard dog not a show dog. A pitpull/lab mix from the SPCA not some BS laberdoodle. give me intelligence heart and grit and a guy that can run a program

Marrone was .500 and it got him an NFL job. this success is equal if not better. look, he's not my first choice but worthy of a look, IMO. just me. Guy has solid experience of building a program.

We need a junkyard dog not a show dog. A pitpull/lab mix from the SPCA not some BS laberdoodle. give me intelligence heart and grit and a guy that can run an offense

Come again? So it doesn't matter if you have a good offensive line? It all starts with the offensive line. We don't need bruisers up there, but zone blocking with average guys can give enough time for patterns to develop and give the qb time to go through his reads.
That's not what I said at all.

Spreading things out was born from teams that didn't have great offensive lines and needed to find a way different way to move the ball.

Expectations.
To turn the dial a bit - what are your expectations of a new HC for each of the next three season?

Since I think coaching and not talent was our main problem, I think better coaching (which means a different scheme) could actually make a bowl with the current talent next year. Year two should be at least 6-6 in our difficult division. Year three maybe a slightly higher upside in the new dome.

After a year of TV exposure the dome should start to help recruiting and our upside can increase.

More important than the HC pick, is whom they select as co-ordinators and assistants.

One thing all these top MAC teams have shown, is consistent QB and OL play, as well as well coached offensive skills positions.

They show ability to identify talent, coach them up, and put them in solid S&C programs.

Expectations.
To turn the dial a bit - what are your expectations of a new HC for each of the next three season?

Since I think coaching and not talent was our main problem, I think better coaching (which means a different scheme) could actually make a bowl with the current talent next year. Year two should be at least 6-6 in our difficult division. Year three maybe a slightly higher upside in the new dome.

After a year of TV exposure the dome should start to help recruiting and our upside can increase.
Year 1 is either a bowl, or an offense* that averages for an entire season 30+ points a game. Ideally both.

Year 2 I'm content to just tread water and make a 2nd bowl/1st bowl with improved offense, but ideally we're at least being looked at by some as a potential top 25 team.

Year 3 - Top 25.

I think we're in pretty good position to succeed, actually.

Expectations.

I think talent is our problem as well. We don't have any depth, ever, and we have ranked last or near the bottom in ACC recruiting. Match that with our staff and what you see is what you get.

I think talent is our problem as well. We don't have any depth, ever, and we have ranked last or near the bottom in ACC recruiting. Match that with our staff and what you see is what you get.
Talent thing though ... These MAC and AAC top teams have lower ranked classes, they coach them up and put them in systems that work to the talent they have ... Putting them in place to succeed.

Talent thing though ... These MAC and AAC top teams have lower ranked classes, they coach them up and put them in systems that work to the talent they have ... Putting them in place to succeed.
Excellent point. In CFB system is really all important. I believe that better coaches have better systems. Coordinators come and go and they don't skip a beat. Starters graduate and they dro a few games and move forward.

I am convinced that the proper system in the dome can be highly successful for a long time.