The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread

If we have learned anything during the Shafer era it should be that experience matters. It is the most reliable indicator of future success. We hired a great DC with no HC experience who hired an OC with no experience and a QB coach with D3 experience and OLine coach with no OLine experience.. IMO Shafer failed because he hired kpoorly by ignoring experience.

CFB is a tough business and is not self-taught.

IMO, our criteria should include HC's in the MAC or AAC and/or P5 OC's with extensive experience under highly successful head coaches. Is there an exception out there? Sure, but can we really be rolling the dice at this point? There are plenty of high probability hires out there and we need to go get one. Going cheap and taking a bigger risk can cost a lot more over the next 5 years than paying up now.

I am going to continue to have faith in Coyle until he proves me wrong therefore, I am looking forward to an exciting hire we can all rally around.
Agree with this and would add the criteria that if the new HC doesn't already have strong recruiting ties on the east coast, that a number of his assistants will.

The more I read, the more Dino Babers is my choice. I like Campbell, but Babers has the right offense for the dome.
Of all the names mentioned he would seem to have the best chance to recruit skill players with his style.

http://www.si.com/college-football/...-babers-bowling-green-falcons-spring-practice

BG on tonight at 8 PM versus WMU. They also play Toledo in a couple weeks. Winner of that game gets the Cuse job...

Babers worked under, Briles, June Jones, Mike Martz

Last edited:
BG on tonight at 8 PM versus WMU. They also play Toledo in a couple weeks. Winner of that game gets the Cuse job...

Babers worked under, Briles, June Jones, Mike Martz
upperdecker will have you know that june jones only succeeded in hawaii because of their super talented WR and their chinese qbs

More important than the HC pick, is whom they select as co-ordinators and assistants.

One thing all these top MAC teams have shown, is consistent QB and OL play, as well as well coached offensive skills positions.

They show ability to identify talent, coach them up, and put them in solid S&C programs.

I'd think these guys would take their offensive staffs with them. At a minimum OC, QB, OL coaches. Pretty atypical for a current HC to come in and hire 8 new coaches. He'll bring staff with him.

And I am fine with either but think we will have a good shot at both if that is the path taken

completely agree. No argument with Campbell and I think Fleck is one of the most exciting young coaches in the country. If Fleck doesn't stay in the Midwest(ie Illinois or Purdue if those do indeed open officially) then I think we are a perfect fit for him. Hopefully he agrees. I think he is as good as choice as any. I do love Babers, Brohm, Campbell too

Not saying this is critical but if we look at recruiting grounds as a strength for any candidate - I was around when Grob destroyed our traditional coach P relationships established in NE, NJ, PA when he went "national" for recruits on what strength - himself and his "ring" and the SU traditions & Dome environment as a DC?

Looking at the rosters at WMU most players are from MI, then IN, IL, some FL - perfect coach for Illini, Purdue or Minny. BG recruits mostly from OH, FL and some surrounding mid west states like IN, IL, MI - another Illini, Purdue or Minny pick. Toledo mostly OH, PA surrounding states plus some FL - Cambell seems to have more players on his roster from PA than Babers or Fleck. He would have an initial leg up for SU with inroads into PA and is a student of the spread.

However, Rhule from Temple most of his current players come from PA, NJ, and rounding out rest mostly from MD & FL. Rhule takes leftovers not wanted by Penn St, RU, MD, Pitt, develops them and almost knocked off #4 ND on game day this year. Don't think he runs a spread like Campbell. He is perfect for MD & possibly VT but they may have their sights set elsewhere.

Gross brought in Grob with no recruiting ties in the NE and subsequently destroyed everything coach P had built. I get nervous about bringing in a west coast unproven OC or DC over an established developer HC with strong recruiting ties in the NE,NJ, PA & FL/GA regions. However, the past stigma attached to Temple turns off many on this Board and those fan bases like from MD or VT. If MD or VT goes in a different direction, I hope we don't pass on Ruhle for another unproven OC or DC.

So to go against the likes of Purdue, Illinois, Minny, MD and VT, we need to pay up at least $2.5 million and $500k for each OC and DC. That's just to be competitive and be in the game. Anything less these guys will go elsewhere and then we will have to settle for an OC or DC and then cross our fingers.

Last edited:
Talent thing though ... These MAC and AAC top teams have lower ranked classes, they coach them up and put them in systems that work to the talent they have ... Putting them in place to succeed.

Keeping in mind that they're also playing week in and week out against lower ranked classes and teams not that good.

Toledo beat Central Michigan last night 28-23

The more I read, the more Dino Babers is my choice. I like Campbell, but Babers has the right offense for the dome.
Of all the names mentioned he would seem to have the best chance to recruit skill players with his style.

http://www.si.com/college-football/...-babers-bowling-green-falcons-spring-practice

Babers "it takes a full year to internalize my system"

go on
I might be rusty on my history here, but, I think that's almost exactly why it was invented. Because a team was overmatched and went to that look, or the earliest variation of it.

Obviously after it was seen it was changed up and given multiple variations for multiple purposes, but, unless I'm mistaken, I think that's how it came about originally.

Keeping in mind that they're also playing week in and week out against lower ranked classes and teams not that good.

Babers "it takes a full year to internalize my system"

Pretty standard stuff

Obviously after it was seen it was changed up and given multiple variations for multiple purposes, but, unless I'm mistaken, I think that's how it came about originally.

This is what I'm referencing... How it has transformed over the years has been the brainiac coaches who are offensive meatheads.

I am betting that Tom Herman is the hottest prospect. However it will take a lot to pry him out of Houston. Scott Frost will be in high demand and probably does not wind up here.
I think our realistic shots at sitting HCs, if we are willing to pay the price, include Babers, Campbell and Flick.

Minnesota - hired Tracy Claeys the current interim HC
Illinois - has no Chancellor or AD. Cubit probably gets job.
Southern Cal - Hard to guess. They might go for Herman, Scott Frost, Whittingham or Brian Harsin. They could go real big and land Sean Payton - Wow!
South Carolina - might keep interim HC Shawn Elliot or go for Rich Rod, Fuentes, Rhule or Herman. Coach O rumored to have outside shot.
Virginia Tech - my guess is DC gets job.
Miami - too stupid to not hire some dope with "U" ties.
Maryland - they want Herman. Fuentes, Frost or Rhule possible.
UCF - probably does not affect us.

Last edited:
I am betting that Tom Herman is the hottest prospect. However it will take a lot to pry him out of Houston. Scott Frost will be in high demand and probably does not wind up here.
I think our realistic shots at sitting HCs, if we are willing to pay the price, include Babers, Campbell and Flick.

Southern Cal - Hard to guess. They might go for Herman, Scott Frost, Whittingham or Brian Harsin. They could go real big and land Sean Payton's - Wow!
South Carolina - might keep interim HC Shawn Elliot or go for Rich Rod, Fuentes, Rhule or Herman. Coach O rumored to have outside shot.

Babers, Campbell and Fleck all seem realistic, and all seem like great options. Add Brohm and that is a really nice list. Would love Rhule but he may hold out for something "bigger" next year if he doesn't get one of those gigs this year. What Illinois and Purdue decide will be huge for our search.

Not saying this is critical but if we look at recruiting grounds as a strength for any candidate - I was around when Grob destroyed our traditional coach P relationships established in NE, NJ, PA when he went "national" for recruits on what strength - himself and his "ring" and the SU traditions & Dome environment as a DC?

Looking at the rosters at WMU most players are from MI, then IN, IL, some FL - perfect coach for Illini, Purdue or Minny. BG recruits mostly from OH, FL and some surrounding mid west states like IN, IL, MI - another Illini, Purdue or Minny pick. Toledo mostly OH, PA surrounding states plus some FL - Cambell seems to have more players on his roster from PA than Babers or Fleck. He would have an initial leg up for SU with inroads into PA and is a student of the spread.

However, Rhule from Temple most of his current players come from PA, NJ, and rounding out rest mostly from MD & FL. Rhule takes leftovers not wanted by Penn St, RU, MD, Pitt, develops them and almost knocked off #4 ND on game day this year. Don't think he runs a spread like Campbell. He is perfect for MD & possibly VT but they may have their sights set elsewhere.

Gross brought in Grob with no recruiting ties in the NE and subsequently destroyed everything coach P had built. I get nervous about bringing in a west coast unproven OC or DC over an established developer HC with strong recruiting ties in the NE,NJ, PA & FL/GA regions. However, the past stigma attached to Temple turns off many on this Board and those fan bases like from MD or VT. If MD or VT goes in a different direction, I hope we don't pass on Ruhle for another unproven OC or DC.

So to go against the likes of Purdue, Illinois, Minny, MD and VT, we need to pay up at least $2.5 million and $500k for each OC and DC. That's just to be competitive and be in the game. Anything less these guys will go elsewhere and then we will have to settle for an OC or DC and then cross our fingers.

Excellent post! Saved me a lot of work. MD wants Herman but I doubt they get him. I think thy land Rhule and that would fit both.

Minny is done now and Illinois is in turmoil. Purdue is death.

Keeps pointing to Babers and Campbell.

[

Southern Cal - Hard to guess. They might go for Herman, Scott Frost, Whittingham or Brian Harsin. They could go real big and land Sean Payton's - Wow!

Good Post, You never know what UCF will do, they have some $ down there.

Purdue and Illinois staying as is would be huge if looking the MAC Way.

Sean Payton would be freaking great at USC, just be fun to watch

Crusty said:
I am betting that Tom Herman is the hottest prospect. However it will take a lot to pry him out of Houston. Scott Frost will be in high demand and probably does not wind up here. I think our realistic shots at sitting HCs, if we are willing to pay the price, include Babers, Campbell and Flick. Minnesota - hired Tracy Claeys the current interim HC Illinois - has no Chancellor or AD. Cubit probably gets job. Southern Cal - Hard to guess. They might go for Herman, Scott Frost, Whittingham or Brian Harsin. They could go real big and land Sean Payton's - Wow! South Carolina - might keep interim HC Shawn Elliot or go for Rich Rod, Fuentes, Rhule or Herman. Coach O rumored to have outside shot. Virginia Tech - my guess is DC gets job. Miami - too stupid to not hire some dope with "U" ties. Maryland - they want Herman. Fuentes, Frost or Rhule possible. UCF - probably does not affect us.

This post right here is exactly what I mean. There may be a ton of openings, but exactly how many are we actually competing against? Not too many. We could easily get Fleck, and have a good shot at someone like Campbell.

You are all forgetting one additional component in this search: the NFL. There's going to be a college hire that comes from the NFL. Maybe Payton even, but it happens every year. Definitely adds to the equation.

You are all forgetting one additional component in this search: the NFL. There's going to be a college hire that comes from the NFL. Maybe Payton even, but it happens every year. Definitely adds to the equation.
Absolutely. The rumor is that is who Southern Cal wants. Then there is the Chip nonsense.
Miami might go the NFL route.

hurry up spread

their good qb graduated and they're not very good passing the ball this year. threw 38 passes per game last year, 34 passes last year. so they're not totally insane which will ease the fears of 80 year giants fans who dabble in SU

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...ominion-football-2015-preview-schedule-roster
Bobby Wilder

ODU was #5 in the nation in passing yards per game in 2013 (first season in FBS) and #16 last year. That's impressive.

I like this guy.

Bobby Wilder

ODU was #5 in the nation in passing yards per game in 2013 (first season in FBS) and #16 last year. That's impressive.

I like this guy.

He might be. But as they say about emergent stocks - I would rather buy it at a higher price on better fundamentals.
He just got into D1. He loses his QB next year so let's see how he does. We don't need to find out it was fool's gold like our first three games this year. We need more experience than what Wilder has so far IMO.

Remember he doesn't have much if a coaching pedigree. He only has Maine and ODU in his background.

Mark Richt been thrown around at all?