The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread

It is under way but one of my first few posts says that something huge has to happen in the next three weeks for change not to be made. Just bc a formal search can't get started until a coach is fired doesn't mean that Coyle and the bot don't have a list of names put out there because they already do. I'm not the only one who knows this trust me others just don't want to get involved with what they have heard because I've gotten messages with the same names and same info as I was given so it's definitely picking up steam the past few weeks.
Please let them know we play in a Dome so a head coach with a new age passing offense background is a must.

Actually, just send them my list.

I know that. You have been around long enough to know how things can change daily when it comes to this type of stuff just thought it was a good post to elaborate about things and names are constantly changing but wanted to point out how some of the people in the know around here have heard the same thing lately. One other thing that was told to me was that Coyle has reached out to tons of past football players trying to get them back on board and making it known that he needs them.

Any past coaches perhaps? I just want to see the Pasqualoni emergency broadcast system tested

Any past coaches perhaps? I just want to see the Pasqualoni emergency broadcast system tested
Didn't hear anything past coaches just past players. I know Macky was dying to come here to coach as a g.a. But we didn't have a slot for him smh.

Here would be my list to interview:

Offensive Coordinators:

Lincoln Riley - Oklahoma
Scott Frost - Oregon
Mike Norvell - Arizona State

Coaches:

Justin Fuente - Memphis
Matt Rhule - Temple
Dino Babers - Bowling Green
Tom Herman - Houston
Chad Morris - SMU
Philip Montgomery - Tulsa
Bryan Harsin - Boise
Matt Campbell - Toledo

Didn't hear anything past coaches just past players. I know Macky was dying to come here to coach as a g.a. But we didn't have a slot for him smh.
Macky would be a hugely popular addition. Every time I see or hear his name I feel the need to apologize for doubting him. I'm sorry Macky, I'm sorry!

Macky would be a hugely popular addition. Every time I see or hear his name I feel the need to apologize for doubting him. I'm sorry Macky, I'm sorry!
Kid will and should be a coach here someday. Don't know if he will be good or not, although I believe in his heart and imagine he will be as Orange as JB, etc. Great story if it comes to pass.

Offensive Coordinators:

Lincoln Riley - Oklahoma
Scott Frost - Oregon

Coaches:

Justin Fuente - Memphis
Matt Rhule - Temple
Tom Herman - Houston
Chad Morris - SMU
Bryan Harsin - Boise
Matt Campbell - Toledo[/QUOTE]

Are we 100% ruling out a NFL type just because GERG was an abject failure? I would smell out guys like Bill O'Brien, Patricia, as well. When Marrone was selected no one was mentioning him at all. He was an NFL type w local ties. I can't imagine we're going to hire a 32 year old kid from Oklahoma. Al Davis isn't running Syracuse.

elimunelson said:
Offensive Coordinators: Lincoln Riley - Oklahoma Scott Frost - Oregon Mike Norvell - Arizona State Coaches: Justin Fuente - Memphis Matt Rhule - Temple Dino Babers - Bowling Green Tom Herman - Houston Chad Morris - SMU Philip Montgomery - Tulsa Bryan Harsin - Boise Matt Campbell - Toledo
Are we 100% ruling out a NFL type just because GERG was an abject failure? I would smell out guys like Bill O'Brien, Patricia, as well. When Marrone was selected no one was mentioning him at all. He was an NFL type w local ties. I can't imagine we're going to hire a 32 year old kid from Oklahoma. Al Davis isn't running Syracuse.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure we know exactly who is running Syracuse... I like the new members of the BOT. Kent and Mark have made a few small smart moves and I think a bunch of internal work... But guessing who they will hire as FB coach? No idea outside of the wee bit of news in this thread.

Offensive Coordinators:

Lincoln Riley - Oklahoma
Scott Frost - Oregon

Coaches:

Justin Fuente - Memphis
Matt Rhule - Temple
Tom Herman - Houston
Chad Morris - SMU
Bryan Harsin - Boise
Matt Campbell - Toledo

Are we 100% ruling out a NFL type just because GERG was an abject failure? I would smell out guys like Bill O'Brien, Patricia, as well. When Marrone was selected no one was mentioning him at all. He was an NFL type w local ties. I can't imagine we're going to hire a 32 year old kid from Oklahoma. Al Davis isn't running Syracuse.[/QUOTE]

I don't think we need to smell out Bill O'Brien. we might as well ask a unicorn and the Easter Bunny to come coach here, not happening

I actually like him much better than Frost

me too, he should be a top of the list guy, no question. you want a guy with a good coaching protégé? check. a current and successful HC? check. high powered offense? check. Brohm would be a fantastic candidate

Herman is basically the hottest coach in America, Fuentes and Rhule would be tough gets and probably not possible. Others definitely worth a look. I don't love them all but certainly wouldn't rule any out.

I want Babers as the next HC. Bigger isn't always better and I would prefer HC experience over hot coordinator
Babers bet on himself when he took a salary cut (50%) o take the HC job at Eastern Illinois. He has the offensive chops, and HC experience. He is 54 and is probably within reach.

I like him and Mike Campbell both. We are going to have to pay up for either of them.

http://www.campusrush.com/bowling-green-dino-babers-1397049411.html

Are we 100% ruling out a NFL type just because GERG was an abject failure? I would smell out guys like Bill O'Brien, Patricia, as well. When Marrone was selected no one was mentioning him at all. He was an NFL type w local ties. I can't imagine we're going to hire a 32 year old kid from Oklahoma. Al Davis isn't running Syracuse.

I don't think we need to smell out Bill O'Brien. we might as well ask a unicorn and the Easter Bunny to come coach here, not happening[/QUOTE]

Agreed on O'Brien but u need to ask to know. Sometimes these guys realize stability > NFL carousel. It's unicorn thinking for sure but no different than Maryland asking about Chip Kelly.

I really hope HCSS sticks around, just so I can see the heads explode on the board. I'm still reserving judgment on whether he should stay or go until after the last game. there is a lot more than wins and losses although I must say I'm quite frustrated.

Today, he was still talking about the decision to keep Dungey in the game down 31, and still seemed to think his reasoning made sense. I think that should be enough to convince you that it's time. Shafer is a good man and he cares about his players. He didn't leave Dungey in because he is Tim Beckman part 2. what is so scary, however, is his reasoning gives a glimpse into what he is thinking on the sideline. That, along with a lot of other goofy in game decisions tells me he just isn't all there. He may be too crazy for his(and our) own good. His buddy Harbaugh is just as intense and crazy but he channels it somehow.

Today, he was still talking about the decision to keep Dungey in the game down 31, and still seemed to think his reasoning made sense. I think that should be enough to convince you that it's time. Shafer is a good man and he cares about his players. He didn't leave Dungey in because he is Tim Beckman part 2. what is so scary, however, is his reasoning gives a glimpse into what he is thinking on the sideline. That, along with a lot of other goofy in game decisions tells me he just isn't all there. He may be too crazy for his(and our) own good. His buddy Harbaugh is just as intense and crazy but he channels it somehow.
Thats what I'm scared of too. He seems to think he has to rationalize his decisions with everyone, because they aren't working. His line of thinking is off and it shows me he's not ready for this week. Move on coach, simply state, I made the call. Forget it and get ready for this week. He's too busy trying to defend himself to coach these days.

No, not because Gerg was a failure. But because the best offensive minds in college football reside in college football.

I would much rather SU take their chances on a 32 year old kid from Oklahoma over Belichick's defensive coordinator.

Babers bet on himself when he took a salary cut (50%) o take the HC job at Eastern Illinois. He has the offensive chops, and HC experience. He is 54 and is probably within reach.

I like him and Mike Campbell both. We are going to have to pay up for either of them.

http://www.campusrush.com/bowling-green-dino-babers-1397049411.html

Babers is a guy that would look at the dome and say I would like to play 60% of my games here, the other 30% below the mason Dixon line and see the future.

This is a concern, I think it's poor reasoning on his part. He should have just said we don't quit ever or should have owned his decision. I won't jump on the band wagon yet. But I understand everyone's viewpoints and respect where you are coming from. I'll wait till after BC

Babers is a guy that would look at the dome and say I would like to play 60% of my games here, the other 30% below the mason Dixon line and see the future.
Exactly. Which is why we need a Babers or a Brohm or a Montgomery or a Riley or a Cumbie.

Not saying Frost couldn't be a great head coach. No idea. But I want SU to stop ignoring the Carrier Dome when determining who should run this program. I'd rather we take our chances on Air Raid over Triple Option.

Exactly. Which is why we need a Babers or a Brohm or a Montgomery or a Riley or a Cumbie.

Not saying Frost couldn't be a great head coach. No idea. But I want SU to stop ignoring the Carrier Dome when determining who should run this program. I'd rather we take our chances on Air Raid over Triple Option.
they're not hiring frost straight out of nebraska. considering how shaky their qb play is and how well they run the ball, they throw a decent amount. tenth in ypg last year, 21st the year before. i know, mariota...

but still they throw for 287 yards per game since frost took over. maybe they'd throw more if they played inside

oregon does run a lot but even montgomery and riley run more than they throw

orangenirvana said:
Exactly. Which is why we need a Babers or a Brohm or a Montgomery or a Riley or a Cumbie. Not saying Frost couldn't be a great head coach. No idea. But I want SU to stop ignoring the Carrier Dome when determining who should run this program. I'd rather we take our chances on Air Raid over Triple Option.

Oregon doesn't run the triple option... Pretty sure they like to pass the ball.

Thought I'd take a look at candidates for the last FB hire that Coyle made to see if there is anyone in common with the above wish lists, or who at least have similar characteristics. I found a bunch of conjecture articles, but not much on who were actual candidates/interviewees for the BSU job.

From the link:

"Like Harsin, the resumes of other top candidates featured strong ties to the school, including Washington defensive coordinator Justin Wilcox, a former Broncos assistant, and Dirk Koetter, a former Broncos head coach and now offensive coordinator for the Atlanta Falcons. Two current Boise State assistants also were interviewed, athletic director Mark Coyle said.

For Mark Coyle, it wasn't Harsin's deep Boise State roots that convinced him he was the right person for the job.

Early in his search process, Coyle jotted down a short list of qualities he believed were essential to the team's next coach. Atop the list: A leader motivated by a sense of urgency, Coyle said."

http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/harsin-introduced-new-boise-state-coach

Koetter is now OC for the TB Bucs and Wilcox is currently a lame duck DC for USC. I also saw an article saying that former Cal/current BC Lion HC Jeff Tedford was a finalist, but no confirmation that Coyle actually met with him.