The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread

Quitting is punting when down big later in the game, which he has done many times. Taking your oft injured prized QB out of a blowout late isn't quitting, it's smart. He has done that before too, as he should have. it is another example of his poor in-game decision making this year. You can stick with your rah rah crap, I will stick with my smart crap.

Taking your starter out sends a clear message to every kid on the team. It tells them, it's over.

It's not rah rah, it's the truth. Call it what you will.

Last edited:
A message from the coach at that point isn't necessary. The scoreboard already told the story, loud and clear.
Losing a game where you fought to win untilt the clock reads 00:00 and conceding victory are 2 completely different things.

One is trying your very best, very simple thing we tell our children, the other is called giving up.

You should know that.

Taking your starter out sends a clear message to every kid on the team. It tells them, it's over.

We will agree to disagree here.

This is short sided thinking. Many wars in history would have ended differently on this approach. A season, or 4 years of a player starting is a war. The game against UL was 1 battle.

I'm not in the camp that is upset about ED being left in the game, although I was upset when he got crushed. But if these players aren't 8 years old. Not one of them thought we were coming back being down 30 and that isn't going to impact how hard they play in the next game.

For me, the bottom line is that I just cant accept striving to be 6-6 each year. With Shafer, thats about the ceiling. Great guy.bad coach. Its nothing that hasnt been said 100 times in 100 threads already. But its true. I think every single "fire" Shafer guy wanted him to succeed, i know i did, but it isnt working. Another year wont change who Shafer is. People dont change.

Kids will not leave, we will not fall in to an endless rebuild. We will be better in year 1 of a new coach than we are now. I dont think it will be close. I guess Coyle will let us all know in a few weeks.

This is short sided thinking. Many wars in history would have ended differently on this approach. A season, or 4 years of a player starting is a war. The game against UL was 1 battle.

I'm not in the camp that is upset about ED being left in the game, although I was upset when he got crushed. But if these players aren't 8 years old. Not one of them thought we were coming back being down 30 and that isn't going to impact how hard they play in the next game.

This is not a war, it's a game played by kids.

Next time you go to your kids game (if you have any) and their team is down a significant amount of points or runs or goals. Yell out to them that you will be warming up the car and the game is pretty much over. Tell the coach to pull the best players and to put in kids that aren't so good so they can wind out the clock.

What message are you sending?

Not in a million years would I do that to my kid or their teammates, yet most everyone here is OK with Shafer doing it. I am not and I would bet that Dungey's parents would not be OK with it either.

This is not a war, it's a game played by kids.

Next time you go to your kids game (if you have any) and their team is down a significant amount of points or runs or goals. Yell out to them that you will be warming up the car and the game is pretty much over. Tell the coach to pull the best players and to put in kids that aren't so good so they can wind out the clock.

What message are you sending?

Not in a million years would I do that to my kid or their teammates, yet most everyone here is OK with Shafer doing it. I am not and I would bet that Dungey's parents would not be OK with it either.

You're amazing, other than the fact you think short sided and don't understand analogies. Congrats.

You're amazing, other than the fact you think short sided and don't understand analogies. Congrats.

We agree to disagree. Tell the kids that giving up before the game is over is short-sighted.

I made a spreadsheet to try and keep track of the top candidates.

There are some interesting names there for sure.

SU Football HC Candidates.JPG

what does punting in the 4th quarter when down big tell your team?

Because whatever that is, Shafer tells him team that A LOT.

what does punting in the 4th quarter when down big tell your team?

Because whatever that is, Shafer tells him team that A LOT.

I don't recall defending punting in the 4th quarter, that wasn't the discussion I was having.

You must be responding to the wrong post. The punting in the 4th quarter thread is elsewhere.

CuseOnly said:
I don't recall defending punting in the 4th quarter, that wasn't the discussion I was having.

You must be responding to the wrong post. The punting in the 4th quarter thread is elsewhere.

Is a basketball coach down by 20+ with 2 minutes left a loser when he puts his bench and walk ons in? They're giving up?

It's just a game. There's something to be said for knowing when it's over.

P.J. Fleck went for it on 4th and 1 from his own 21 tonight.

Just sayin'.

Is a basketball coach down by 20+ with 2 minutes left a loser when he puts his bench and walk ons in? They're giving up?

It's just a game. There's something to be said for knowing when it's over.

Yes, they are giving up.

No, I'm responding to the right post. I'm trying to point out the inconsistency and impossibility of your position.

you keep banging this drum advocating for a "it's never over, don't give up, we can still win" mindset, even in the face of impossibility.

I'm simply saying that if that is, indeed, the mindset, then it encompasses more than simply not putting in the backup QB. It means never punting in the 4th quarter down big. Afterall, any punt when down big is simply an admission of giving up.

No, I'm responding to the right post. I'm trying to point out the inconsistency and impossibility of your position.

you keep banging this drum advocating for a "it's never over, don't give up, we can still win" mindset, even in the face of impossibility.

I'm simply saying that if that is, indeed, the mindset, then it encompasses more than simply not putting in the backup QB. It means never punting in the 4th quarter down big. Afterall, any punt when down big is simply an admission of giving up.

We definitely disagree, so that's that.