The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread

Bowling Green vs Western Michigan.

Dino Babers vs PJ Fleck

Bring one of these guys in and promote Daoust to DC and we got ourselves a winner IMO.

Bowling Green vs Western Michigan.

Dino Babers vs PJ Fleck

Bring one of these guys in and promote Daoust to DC and we got ourselves a winner IMO.
Bowling Green ended up beating Western Michigan pretty badly on their own turf 41-27.

635519956274910283-USP-NCAA-Football-Indiana-at-Bowling-Green.jpg

Linkage

Wasn't Rich Rod one of the earliest spread proponents, him and Mike Leach?
Spread started a lot earlier in CFB - like the 1950's. I think Rich Rod and Leach were were innovators adding pistol (leach) and read option (Rich Rod) to the spread. The term spread has so many variations these days it is a very generic term. Briles Baylor offense is yet another variation.

Spread started a lot earlier in CFB - like the 1950's. I think Rich Rod and Leach were were innovators adding pistol (leach) and read option (Rich Rod) to the spread. The term spread has so many variations these days it is a very generic term. Briles Baylor offense is yet another variation.
1929 I believe is the 1st time they called it that.

Then there was Mouse Davis. I forgot what he called his offense.

people see the success of the spread and want to credit it to more conventional football guys.

mouse davis, lavell edwards, and dennis erickson deserve a lot of the credit. erickson for popularizing the single back. edwards for going 4 wide, davis for having option pass routes. sid gillman figured out that if you have receivers all over the field (horizontally and vertically), it's hard for a zone defense to handle everyone. hal mumme is the most influential though. widening the splits of the o line gave qbs a little time to unload before getting killed and it gave them bigger lanes to throw through making it easier for WR to pick up the ball. speeding up the tempo too.

then rich rodriguez figured out that you can do regular old option football with a single back and a spread out formation with no pitches.

to me the spread is a hurry up no huddle primarily out of the shotgun with a single back and 4 wideouts (if you have gronk, sure use a TE that can be like a WR, why not) featuring wide offensive line splits, wide WR splits, run pass options where they block for a run but you get a pass out quick based on a read, bubble screens to those extra wide receivers when the defense cheats (which is easy to identify), and simple read option handoffs. lots of 4 verticals which people think is 4 deep balls - but it isn't - it's just 4 routes without tells, they all look the same after the snap, only difference is where they settle.

some air raids don't focus much on the athletic QB maybe out of neccessity - would rather just have an accurate smart qb if you can't find a guy who can run

people see the success of the spread and want to credit it to more conventional football guys.

mouse davis, lavell edwards, and dennis erickson deserve a lot of the credit. erickson for popularizing the single back. edwards for going 4 wide, davis for having option pass routes. sid gillman figured out that if you have receivers all over the field (horizontally and vertically), it's hard for a zone defense to handle everyone. hal mumme is the most influential though. widening the splits of the o line gave qbs a little time to unload before getting killed and it gave them bigger lanes to throw through making it easier for WR to pick up the ball. speeding up the tempo too.

then rich rodriguez figured out that you can do regular old option football with a single back and a spread out formation with no pitches.

to me the spread is a hurry up no huddle primarily out of the shotgun with a single back and 4 wideouts (if you have gronk, sure use a TE that can be like a WR, why not) featuring wide offensive line splits, wide WR splits, run pass options where they block for a run but you get a pass out quick based on a read, bubble screens to those extra wide receivers when the defense cheats (which is easy to identify), and simple read option handoffs. lots of 4 verticals which people think is 4 deep balls - but it isn't - it's just 4 routes without tells, they all look the same after the snap, only difference is where they settle.

some air raids don't focus much on the athletic QB maybe out of neccessity - would rather just have an accurate smart qb if you can't find a guy who can run

That is why you get fat, bald guys with beards or 5-9 Chinese guys that throw the ball with success in this offense. Two things needed. Smart and accurate. QB makes a lot of decisions at the Line

That is why you get fat, bald guys with beards or Chinese guys that throw the ball with success in this offense. Two things needed. Smart and accurate. QB makes a lot of decisions at the Line
i think it bothers football lifers that this stuff has been figured out. they want to believe that every approach has the same merit. that way everyone can be mad scientists and delude themselves into thinking what they're doing is worthwhile. where is the fun for them of just running a high school offense

That is why you get fat, bald guys with beards or 5-9 Chinese guys that throw the ball with success in this offense. Two things needed. Smart and accurate. QB makes a lot of decisions at the Line
we see a chinese guy named timmy. not tim. TIMMY. and we say wow look at those numbers. then when brennan goes out there and equals the chinese timmy, we say woe is us, if only GERG and his bullsh!t offense had the guy killing it in hawaii like timmy

totally backwards

Next time I see Coyle I'm going to talk to him about this - you (or Rocco has his email ear) should send him this write up on the history of the spread just to see if he understands the concepts of the spread. Coyle himself played a little bit of college ball so I hope he gets it.

When I hear Lester & Shafer want to "establish the run" it's just dumb. They should be calling plays to counter whatever the defense gives you. The spread offenses, especially Baylor, run block on pass plays. I thought BG was doing that last night and they ran the ball well when WMU didn't stack the box. Baylor runs the ball well too.

Anyway you still need good athletes no matter whatever our offense is but to me the spread simply as you say uses the entire field both horizontally and vertically making a lessor talented team beat teams like UofL last weekend (and easily Pitt, UVA etc).

Question - what kind of offense does Boise's Harisin run? Could be a lead into the discussion. Crossing fingers.

Next time I see Coyle I'm going to talk to him about this - you (or Rocco has his email ear) should send him this write up on the history of the spread just to see if he understands the concepts of the spread. Coyle himself played a little bit of college ball so I hope he gets it.

When I hear Lester & Shafer want to "establish the run" it's just dumb. They should be calling plays to counter whatever the defense gives you. The spread offenses, especially Baylor, run block on pass plays. I thought BG was doing that last night and they ran the ball well when WMU didn't stack the box. Baylor runs the ball well too.

Anyway you still need good athletes no matter whatever our offense is but to me the spread simply as you say uses the entire field both horizontally and vertically making a lessor talented team beat teams like UofL last weekend (and easily Pitt, UVA etc).

Question - what kind of offense does Boise's Harisin run? Could be a lead into the discussion. Crossing fingers.
i don't know what the heck boise is doing. best i can do is their system is to not have a system - i don't know how the hell they run it so well, i assume they're cheating and practicing like it's some gulag camp

we see a chinese guy named timmy. not tim. TIMMY. and we say wow look at those numbers. then when brennan goes out there and equals the chinese timmy, we say woe is us, if only GERG and his bullsh!t offense had the guy killing it in hawaii like timmy

totally backwards

The list of prolific spread QB's who are now working stiffs like the rest of us is endless. DAMIT, he needs to have a canon arm, 6-5, with 4.5 speed. Meathead mentality.

We want fat guys, beards, beer belly and slow feet, we will make it work. Training table at Varsity, pitcher of beer and wings/ pizza.

" Fat, slow guy with a beard your wings are ready, fat, slow gut guy, your wings are ready"

Is this sarcasm? Are you seriously saying our posters should begin dialogue with the AD on whether or not he understands the gd Spread Offense?

i already used up my email to coyle saying they need to market themselves as the family friendly bills alternative

I swear to everything I love that the Bills fans have more shenanigans on video than any sports fan base anywhere. And it's HILARIOUS.

Is this sarcasm? Are you seriously saying our posters should begin dialogue with the AD on whether or not he understands the gd Spread Offense?

A little backstory - I asked Gross this during the end of the Grob years and before the committee hired Marrone (Gross was against Marrone). Gross did not consider schemes as much of his criteria was all about pedigree (Grob had a ring you know). He really had no background to pick football HC and history now shows it to be true. I really don't blame Grob or Shafer about poor performance I blame Gross as the singlehanded reason for the fall from grace of our football program. It happened on his watch and the responsibility falls squarely on his shoulders.

We don't know that yet about Coyle do we?

A little backstory - I asked Gross this during the end of the Grob years and before the committee hired Marrone (Gross was against Marrone). Gross did not consider schemes as much of his criteria was all about pedigree (Grob had a ring you know). He really had no background to pick football HC and history now shows it to be true. I really don't blame Grob or Shafer about poor performance I blame Gross as the singlehanded reason for the fall from grace of our football program. It happened on his watch and the responsibility falls squarely on his shoulders.

Not yet and won't until he hires a new guy and whenever that happens. If he gives a Shafer a 4th year that is biggest gamble of all and I don't think he rolls the dice. Shafer is a big class dropper at a 50-1 price in a cheap claiming race at Vernon Downs at this point. Stranger this happen but the smart $ isn't betting Shafer

Gross lucked into Pete Carroll and he thought he created a template.

Gross lucked into Pete Carroll and he thought he created a template.

I'm all about the blame pie being the most on Gross. Guy IMO did absolutely nothing except bloat the athletic budget. the entire ACC narrative is crap too. Guy had zero to do w that as well. As has been discussed ad nauseum here, that ship sailed when the ACC did their site visit and liked what they saw. It just took the right time to add us in 2011.

we are finally on the right path with competent leadership again. For that i'm super excited about the future of Syracuse football.

1. Stephen Bailey ‏@Stephen_Bailey1 37m37 minutes ago Syracuse, NY
    Shafer said he tells Class of 2016 kids who ask about job security that he wants to be here in future, has one year left on his contract.

2. Stephen Bailey ‏@Stephen_Bailey1 39m39 minutes ago Syracuse, NY
    Shafer said Syracuse has not received financial aid agreements from any other players. The team hopes to have a few more kids arrive in Jan.

3. Stephen Bailey ‏@Stephen_Bailey1 40m40 minutes ago Syracuse, NY
    Shafer said initially he didn't think Syracuse would have a shot at QB signee Rex Culpepper. Had early offers from Clemson, UF and Ohio St

1. Stephen Bailey ‏@Stephen_Bailey1 37m37 minutes ago Syracuse, NY
    Shafer said he tells Class of 2016 kids who ask about job security that he wants to be here in future, has one year left on his contract.

2. Stephen Bailey ‏@Stephen_Bailey1 39m39 minutes ago Syracuse, NY
    Shafer said Syracuse has not received financial aid agreements from any other players. The team hopes to have a few more kids arrive in Jan.

3. Stephen Bailey ‏@Stephen_Bailey1 40m40 minutes ago Syracuse, NY
    Shafer said initially he didn't think Syracuse would have a shot at QB signee Rex Culpepper. Had early offers from Clemson, UF and Ohio St

Only 1 year makes the decision easier to let him go.