The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread

Only 1 year makes the decision easier to let him go.
I mean the decision is either extend or fire him. How anybody can argue this guy deserves an extension barring beating Clemson is more of a SS fan than an SU FB fan.

Our program is completely irrelevant and people want patience. Hope and change is what SU FB needs not more of the same. Staying the course is praying for a miracle. I have no confidence we will beat FSU/ND/CU next year that is 3 losses.
I believe no matter who is coach we are splitting USF/UConn. We will beat Colgate. That is 2-4. I don't think Scott Shafer lead Syracuse is going to win 5 of WF/BC/Pitt/VPI/UL/NCSU as 7 wins would be his standard not 6.

no way daoust stays here.

oh stop. At the end of the day, you have no idea if he will. People look out for their families first and foremost. He has young kids, may love the area, etc and a 50% bump and in pay and a DC spot usually gets people to think about things. I am sure he loves Shafe but they all know the game

1. Stephen Bailey ‏@Stephen_Bailey1 37m37 minutes ago Syracuse, NY
    Shafer said he tells Class of 2016 kids who ask about job security that he wants to be here in future, has one year left on his contract.

2. Stephen Bailey ‏@Stephen_Bailey1 39m39 minutes ago Syracuse, NY
    Shafer said Syracuse has not received financial aid agreements from any other players. The team hopes to have a few more kids arrive in Jan.

3. Stephen Bailey ‏@Stephen_Bailey1 40m40 minutes ago Syracuse, NY
    Shafer said initially he didn't think Syracuse would have a shot at QB signee Rex Culpepper. Had early offers from Clemson, UF and Ohio St

i mean captain obvious across the board...these guys are all gonna reopen once he's canned. I don't blame them either. It's their right and the most important decision of their lives to this point. You just hope the new coach will get them to stay. Interesting times.

oh stop. At the end of the day, you have no idea if he will. People look out for their families first and foremost. He has young kids, may love the area, etc and a 50% bump and in pay and a DC spot usually gets people to think about things. I am sure he loves Shafe but they all know the game

Oh. OK. I am not allowed to say anything. But you can say whatever you want.

i mean captain obvious across the board...these guys are all gonna reopen once he's canned. I don't blame them either. It's their right and the most important decision of their lives to this point. You just hope the new coach will get them to stay. Interesting times.
I am okay with losing some kids and giving the next HC a honeymoon period. I just want hope. Keeping SS means another year praying for mediocrity. I want to strive for better. Our HC hasn't improved in-game and the recruiting is not significantly high to keep the HC.
Minnesota had a top 40 class and that is why they kept their interim HC. Our recruiting classes have been below that and people want to keep SS.

Apparently I can't say whatever I want because 50% of my posts get deleted around here thus I am not biting because this is the best thread on the forum right now, other than Millhouse's comments on bearded fat Chinese quarterbacks.

If keep SS it just as likely Daoust may move on now like he almost did to Pitt last offseason. If next year is a 7 win or good bye season I expect all assistant coaches to look out for their own interests.
Keeping SS deflates our fanbase. SWC took a poll over 70% of this board want a new coach. That isn't 50/50.

If keep SS it just as likely Daoust may move on now like he almost did to Pitt last offseason. If next year is a 7 win or good bye season I expect all assistant coaches to look out for their own interests.
Keeping SS deflates our fanbase. SWC took a poll over 70% of this board want a new coach. That isn't 50/50.

And the masses are far less reasonable, I bet overall it's 85% want him gone

Personally Speaking if Ithaca Barrell Allows.

I think he's staying another year. Coyle will "force" a change on D . Perhaps Daoust will be DC here next year.

I think he's staying another year. Coyle will "force" a change on D . Perhaps Daoust will be DC here next year.
I have supported the program since I graduated. I bought 4 season tickets while in law school and was paying SU while I didn't have much money.
I have supported program while living over 1000 miles away. If SS is the HC in 2016 I will support the team on the field but I will not give the school my money for football.
Enough is enough. If we want to compete in football. Spend the money on a real HC and patience will be understood. Next year when we have 20k wherever we play people here need to be quiet.

You really think the O will get any better with this scheme Lester brings.

In retrospect it was a really bad decision by Gross to promote Shafer. Of course, his hand may have been forced if all his choices turned him down. But when I look back on it, knowing that Marrone took the entire offensive staff with him, it would’ve made more sense for Gross to find an Offensive Coordinator or lower level offensive HC for the job.

In retrospect it was a really bad decision by Gross to promote Shafer. Of course, his hand may have been forced if all his choices turned him down. But when I look back on it, knowing that Marrone took the entire offensive staff with him, it would’ve made more sense for Gross to find an Offensive Coordinator or lower level offensive HC for the job.
even though it probably was a mistake, shafer, despite everything, is probably better than anyone gross would've hired. and even if i trusted gross to choose whoever, it's ok with me that they gave shafer a shot. it wasn't all bad, end of 2013 was fun. i wish for shafer's sake and our's that he'd tried going outside his wmu comfort zone this year.

even though it probably was a mistake, shafer, despite everything, is probably better than anyone gross would've hired. and even if i trusted gross to choose whoever, it's ok with me that they gave shafer a shot. it wasn't all bad, end of 2013 was fun. i wish for shafer's sake and our's that he'd tried going outside his wmu comfort zone this year.

agreed.

I'm not sure the timeline played out like that though...I thought Shafer was hired before the offensive staff bolted? I remember him being hired and then it was put out that Hackett was staying and a few days later Marrone hired him after he said he wasn't going to.

Why a change on D? At least they did OK 2 of 3 seasons. On the other hand Lester, with a much more experienced offense, is worse on virtually every metric (in 2013) than the guy they fired.

I would say it should be reversed.

I'm not sure the timeline played out like that though...I thought Shafer was hired before the offensive staff bolted? I remember him being hired and then it was put out that Hackett was staying and a few days later Marrone hired him after he said he wasn't going to.
That sounds familiar.

Gross chose Shafer over Hackett. I don't blame Hackett for moving on. It was announced he was going to stay and then 2 days later he went to Buffalo.
I don't blame Hackett for leaving. He was a Marrone guy and staying with Shafer wouldn't be fair to SS if he wanted his own guy.
I wanted Gross to take more than 2 days to hire someone than give the keys to SS and if I was going to be an internal hire I wanted Hackett.

I seem to recall the players pushing hard for Shafer to get hired and the ringleaders were actually offensive players, which was not necessarily a ringing endorsement of Hackett.

I seem to recall the players pushing hard for Shafer to get hired and the ringleaders were actually offensive players, which was not necessarily a ringing endorsement of Hackett.
I seem to remember Macky was the leader.

Gross chose Shafer over Hackett. I don't blame Hackett for moving on. It was announced he was going to stay and then 2 days later he went to Buffalo.
I don't blame Hackett for leaving. He was a Marrone guy and staying with Shafer wouldn't be fair to SS if he wanted his own guy.
I wanted Gross to take more than 2 days to hire someone than give the keys to SS and if I was going to be an internal hire I wanted Hackett.
it's not like hackett has set the world on fire since though. i don't know, i break the tie by giving it to the guy who didn't teach hip hop dance

You're assuming that Shafer's #1 for OC wasn't Hackett. I'm not sure if he was or if he wasn't, but he may very well have been even though he wasn't "his" guy so to say.

Shafer was a good coordinator here, good character guy, I had no problem with the hire. He deserved a shot. It just hasn't worked out.