The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread

You're assuming that Shafer's #1 for OC wasn't Hackett. I'm not sure if he was or if he wasn't, but he may very well have been even though he wasn't "his" guy so to say.

Didn't say somebody it was rumored to be Cubit? One of Millhouse's favorites

I'm not sure the timeline played out like that though...I thought Shafer was hired before the offensive staff bolted? I remember him being hired and then it was put out that Hackett was staying and a few days later Marrone hired him after he said he wasn't going to.

Yep, that's how it went down. There was a whole lot of misinformation being put forth. As Shafer was named HC it was said that most of the staff was going to stay intact, so it really lent to the rationale of hiring Shafer to foster stability and continuity. Then before you know it almost everyone was gone.

That's probably the thing I'm still most upset about with Marrone -- I understand him leaving, but he didn't need to gut the program. Who was going to turn down an NFL shot and payday? It was early January, he had tons of time to assemble a staff in Buffalo. Maybe most would've left anyway, but he didn't need to be the one taking them.

Shafer was a good coordinator here, good character guy, I had no problem with the hire. He deserved a shot. It just hasn't worked out.

Agreed, it was worth a shot, just didnt pan out. It's not a big deal. Move on, as I have said these coaches all know how the game is played. I doubt Shafer expects to be back

Why a change on D? At least they did OK 2 of 3 seasons. On the other hand Lester, with a much more experienced offense, is worse on virtually every metric (in 2013) than the guy they fired.

I would say it should be reversed.

Yep. I don't care for ADs imposing staff decisions on their coaches. If Coyle were to do that he'd better be looking at the offensive side of the ball. Shafer could devote more time to the D, but the Lester experiment has been a flop.

Agreed, it was worth a shot, just didnt pan out. It's not a big deal. Move on, as I have said these coaches all know how the game is played. I doubt Shafer expects to be back

He expects to be back. Most of the coaches expect to be back. Many of the parents expect him to be back. All the recruits expect him to be back.

Yep, that's how it went down. There was a whole lot of misinformation being put forth. As Shafer was named HC it was said that most of the staff was going to stay intact, so it really lent to the rationale of hiring Shafer to foster stability and continuity. Then before you know it almost everyone was gone.

That's probably the thing I'm still most upset about with Marrone -- I understand him leaving, but he didn't need to gut the program. Who was going to turn down an NFL shot and payday? It was early January, he had tons of time to assemble a staff in Buffalo. Maybe most would've left anyway, but he didn't need to be the one taking them.

My biggest gripe with Marrone as well. Not so much that he took staff, but the way in which he did it. Had he made his intentions known upon accepting the Bills job, maybe Gross goes in a different direction. Who knows.

Yeah I know his name was thrown around but I'm sure that was after Hackett bolted.

Anybody remember this:
2015-11-12_15-15-28.jpg

One other thing about Marrone that caused a lot of agita -
When he was hired, he said he wanted a staff with extensive NFL experience. Then he hired a guy to run the offense whose only NFL experience was as a quality control coach in Buffalo.

What's done is done.

When I look at your avatar I think of this song that the Boston media likes to use when talking about homers.

i believe tomcat when he says it was

http://syracusefan.com/threads/oc-candidates-for-next-year.81110/#post-1154607

i had a decent sh!tfit over the idea later on in that thread if i may say so myself

shafer's undoing is going to be his lack of curiosity to hire anyone outside of WMU. it was a big red flag from the get go

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/index.ssf/2013/01/families_western_michigan_reun.html

i believe tomcat when he says it was

http://syracusefan.com/threads/oc-candidates-for-next-year.81110/#post-1154607

i had a decent sh!tfit over the idea later on in that thread if i may say so myself

shafer's undoing is going to be his lack of curiosity to hire anyone outside of WMU. it was a big red flag from the get go

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/index.ssf/2013/01/families_western_michigan_reun.html

I'm pretty sure it was Cubit over McDonald not Cubit over Hackett. But I could be wrong.

I don't blame Hackett for not staying. I would have wanted the HC job not the status quo. SS didn't have any HC experience either. I was against giving SS the HC job. Gross rushed the hire. In hindsight DM leaving so late was the biggest problem as if he leaves earlier then SU probably goes after Temple HC Steve Addazio before BC hires him.

This is not a war, it's a game played by kids.

Next time you go to your kids game (if you have any) and their team is down a significant amount of points or runs or goals. Yell out to them that you will be warming up the car and the game is pretty much over. Tell the coach to pull the best players and to put in kids that aren't so good so they can wind out the clock.

What message are you sending?.
This is ridiculous.

I don't blame Hackett for not staying. I would have wanted the HC job not the status quo. SS didn't have any HC experience either. I was against giving SS the HC job. Gross rushed the hire. In hindsight DM leaving so late was the biggest problem as if he leaves earlier then SU probably goes after Temple HC Steve Addazio before BC hires him.

No doubt. We win the Pinstripe Bowl on 12/29/12, and on 1/6/13 Marrone is introduced as the Bills new head coach. Obviously he was negotiating with them before we played the bowl game. Timing was atrocious for us. If we had known we were going to have a HC vacancy weeks prior we'd have brought in someone else.

Although, knowing Gross's track record it's likely we would have hired someone worse than Shafer.

Although, knowing Gross's track record it's likely we would have hired someone worse than Shafer.

He did pretty well with Pete Carroll. With the exception of all the malfeasance, I mean.

He did pretty well with Pete Carroll. With the exception of all the malfeasance, I mean.

Wasn't Gross the assistant AD when Carroll was hired? Why does he get credit for that, and not the actual AD?

Pete Carroll was USC's 5th choice after among Dennis Erickson and Mike Reilly turning USC down. Gross gets credit but he was lucky.
upload_2015-11-12_15-43-0.jpeg

He expects to be back. Most of the coaches expect to be back. Many of the parents expect him to be back. All the recruits expect him to be back.
He doesn't have as much support with the parents as he one did.

Misinformation is the key. It was Gross' hope that Hackett would remain as OC, but Hackett never committed once he wasn't named the HC. I think Marrone brought a lot of guys to Buffalo that Shafer wasn't intending to keep anyway.

It looks bad now, but I think it worked out for both parties as those coaches got NFL jobs and Shafer got to hire who he wanted (or his buddies that fit within the budget provided).

Wasn't Gross the assistant AD when Carroll was hired? Why does he get credit for that, and not the actual AD?

Because between him and Mike Garrett he was the brains of the operation.

It was Gross who pulled the trigger on the hiring of Pete Carroll, who has won 42 of his first 51 games and delivered two national championship trophies.
It was not an easy decision. Much of the USC athletic brass disagreed with Gross, but he convinced them to take a chance. While Gross was a scout with the New York Jets after graduate school, he observed Carroll and felt his teaching ability and upbeat style would translate on the college level. - Daily Orange, May 4, 2005

In fact, it was former USC associate AD Daryl Gross, now the AD at Syracuse, who pushed for Carroll's hiring back in 2000. -ESPN.com, January 12, 2010

Misinformation is the key. It was Gross' hope that Hackett would remain as OC, but Hackett never committed once he wasn't named the HC. I think Marrone brought a lot of guys to Buffalo that Shafer wasn't intending to keep anyway.

It looks bad now, but I think it worked out for both parties as those coaches got NFL jobs and Shafer got to hire who he wanted (or his buddies that fit within the budget provided).

Maybe they played Gross

It was Gross who pulled the trigger on the hiring of Pete Carroll, who has won 42 of his first 51 games and delivered two national championship trophies.
It was not an easy decision. Much of the USC athletic brass disagreed with Gross, but he convinced them to take a chance. While Gross was a . . . . . with the New York Jets after graduate school, he observed Carroll and felt his teaching ability and upbeat style would translate on the college level. - Daily Orange, May 4, 2005

In fact, it was former USC associate AD Daryl Gross, now the AD at Syracuse, who pushed for Carroll's hiring back in 2000. -ESPN.com, January 12, 2010

Gotcha.

By the way, this "While Gross was a . . . . . with the New York Jets after graduate school, he observed Carroll and felt his teaching ability and upbeat style would translate on the college level" is freakin' hysterical. Gross figured that out all by himself, did he?!?! Ask any Pats fan during Carroll's tenure and they could have told you the guy was made to be a college coach.