The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread

He expects to be back. Most of the coaches expect to be back. Many of the parents expect him to be back. All the recruits expect him to be back.
I seriously doubt the accuracy of those statements.

It was Gross who pulled the trigger on the hiring of Pete Carroll, who has won 42 of his first 51 games and delivered two national championship trophies.
It was not an easy decision. Much of the USC athletic brass disagreed with Gross, but he convinced them to take a chance. While Gross was a . . . . . with the New York Jets after graduate school, he observed Carroll and felt his teaching ability and upbeat style would translate on the college level. - Daily Orange, May 4, 2005

In fact, it was former USC associate AD Daryl Gross, now the AD at Syracuse, who pushed for Carroll's hiring back in 2000. -ESPN.com, January 12, 2010
Very interesting. Tried to catch lightning in a bottle twice. If you do that often enough you get fried.

I really hope HCSS sticks around, just so I can see the heads explode on the board. I'm still reserving judgment on whether he should stay or go until after the last game. there is a lot more than wins and losses although I must say I'm quite frustrated.

I like the sentiment here, because I think Shafer is a good guy, but the team has fallen off a cliff after those tough 2 losses. I' be surprised at this point if we win another game this season.

I like the sentiment here, because I think Shafer is a good guy, but the team has fallen off a cliff after those tough 2 losses. I' be surprised at this point if we win another game this season.

And we were projected to finish my most "experts" at 4-8 (approx.). And that was with Hunt.

Shafer talked a good game but didn't get it done

He got close. We almost turned the corner, but injuries did them in. Too many important losses in the last few years. And he never did get that big signature win like Marrone did.

And we were projected to finish my most "experts" at 4-8 (approx.). And that was with Hunt.

I was figuring we'd get 5 or 6, hoping for 7.

I was figuring we'd get 5 or 6, hoping for 7.

I hope for undefeated every season. I am saying the experts (loosely) people not associated with our team that are writers and follow all football had us pegged for about 4-8. I just don't see where we have underachieved off that so horribly. That being said of course I would have thought with Hunt we could have maybe held on to VA. Or perhaps had enough to beat pitt (though that was on the D). IN any event had we beat VA and then Beat BC we would be at 5-7. I am just saying.

And the masses are far less reasonable, I bet overall it's 85% want him gone

I think to be accurate, that 85% don't necessarily "want Shafer gone" - in that it's specifically about him - although Bud Poliquin's article today is keeping the bad quote about the hit on Dungey going. I think that 85% want better, more entertaining football, and want to see a regularly winning team. This team was looking very promising early on, but the wheels have fallen off. People would have been happy to see Shafer succeed. It just hasn't happened.

Gross chose Shafer over Hackett. I don't blame Hackett for moving on. It was announced he was going to stay and then 2 days later he went to Buffalo.
I don't blame Hackett for leaving. He was a Marrone guy and staying with Shafer wouldn't be fair to SS if he wanted his own guy.
I wanted Gross to take more than 2 days to hire someone than give the keys to SS and if I was going to be an internal hire I wanted Hackett.

Hackett was way too young to be our head coach.

I hope for undefeated every season. I am saying the experts (loosely) people not associated with our team that are writers and follow all football had us pegged for about 4-8. I just don't see where we have underachieved off that so horribly. That being said of course I would have thought with Hunt we could have maybe held on to VA. Or perhaps had enough to beat pitt (though that was on the D). IN any event had we beat VA and then Beat BC we would be at 5-7. I am just saying.

The Vegas O/U on wins in August 2015 was 4.5 and that was with a Senior starting QB. Maybe there was some outsized expectations of fans based upon the 3-0 start. Highly doubt that number would've moved up if we lost Hunt prior to the opener.

Last edited:
The Vegas O/U on wins in August 2015 was 4.5 and that was with a Senior starting QB. Maybe there was some outsized expectations of fans based upon the 3-0 start. Highly doubt that number moves up if we lose Hunt prior to the opener.
What did the HC say in his PC after we started 3-0?

This program needs Hope and Change. Not more of the same. SS is a good man but he hasn't grown as HC in-game and the team is not getting better. We have the 13th ranked offense in the ACC and the 14th ranked defense in the ACC.

That doesn't deserve patience. Good man but not good HC.

Shafer was a good coordinator here, good character guy, I had no problem with the hire. He deserved a shot. It just hasn't worked out.

agreed, I think it made sense and the first year was pretty cool, he seemed like he would be successful and he seemed like a Northeast/Cuse kind of guy. It's just gone to hell ever since.

He expects to be back. Most of the coaches expect to be back. Many of the parents expect him to be back. All the recruits expect him to be back.

The players though... would like him to be back but also realize he may not be. Big difference.

I can't attest to all the players obviously.

and with a far better QB we are worse than the 4.5 projected. He was also expected to be on the hot seat last year by the experts.

If Orgeron is truly a candidate for this potential opening, why hasn't Butch Davis been discussed? He has a better HC record, a history of building a program, an excellent recruiter and ACC experience. He was also cleared in the UNC investigation. Seems like a much better option than Eddie O.

We can afford Dino Babers and have extra money for his staff. From CoachingSearch.com:

Bowling Green: Dino Babers will receive a $25,000 bonus for winning the MAC East and another $25,000 bonus for Bowling Green's sixth MAC win, according to USA Today. In total, he’s up to $182,500 in bonuses this season. His base salary is $413,000.

Yes! Just need a cubit miracle win to get 6 wins and he may be kept as well. Although it looks like Maryland will be making a run for babers. We might have to go for Campbell.

Last edited:
So now we're saying that because the "experts" predicted we'd win 4 games -- the same "experts" that many people here ripped to shreds because they were being big dummy heads -- that we need to retain the coach because we will probably finish with 3 or 4 wins?

If people want to bring Shafer back that's cool, we're all entitled to an opinion. But are we saying "they thought we'd suck, and we do suck, so one more year"? That's the reason?

Some people should hope that no one pulls up the posts after the LSU game where more people picked 7 or 8 wins than 3 or 4 wins.