The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread

He needs to hire the right OC, that is a hiring issue which is on him as HC but as we have seen with HCSS the wrong guy is a disaster. He needs to hire someone proven as an OC.

He hired good OC's at Ole Miss and they were still bad. defensive head coaches think meathead football, very few don't. TCU coach only one that comes to mind but there are really few. This is why C Strong wont get it done at Texas, he would have to build the best defense in the country or join the rat race and try to outscore everyone. Meanwhile they are looking up at TCU, Baylor, and TA&M, I wonder why that is. It's not that difficult, don't get cute, hire the best offensive coach you can find hopefully with HC experience.

Look I really like ED O, really do, I hope he gets another shot, I just don't think he's a great fit for Syracuse. Memphis maybe? when their coach leaves, I don't know.

If we were going to hire a defensive coach and had too, I might hire Ed. Dude is a trip but like I said, I just don't think its the right call.

Last edited:
I am looking for the factors that are not constant to determine where I believe the issue lies.

Coaches - No Change
Scheme - No Change
Did the coaches forget how to coach - Doubt it, all of them have about 20 years in
Players - Wholesale changes
Youth - We are much younger, playing 8 Frosh & Soph on D
Talent level - Pretty similar to what we had last year

The contributing factors IMO are youth and inexperience.

You are just assuming by your argument that the coaches failed to "coach up" the players and it is on them. You can't coach experience into a player.
The difference is degree. As I have posted elsewhere, others such as Louisville, Pitt and Wake are younger and less experienced than we are and they have much better metrics. Ours are really horrible. We shouldn't be this bad on offense with only 2 freshman starting.

All this nonsense about 60% of the offense is by freshmen is Lester's choice. He determines who plays. Our stats are so bad (worse than McDonald's), it is hard to imagine them being much worse with Morris and McFarlane for example.

Lester is a D3 coach running a D3 offense in the P5. To me it is that simple. More often than not, the obvious is the correct answer.

Last edited:
So you have heard this from people in the know?
Heard this from a person who works with a former SU football player that is very close to the program. Not saying it's true but just asking if others have heard the same thing. I would love to see us hire Eddie O for his recruiting ability and what he did at USC.

You say the defense has slid downhill, how do you explain the first 2 Bullough years being very good in 2013 and top 30 in 2014? Scheme hasn't changed but the players did, that is not on the coaches.

I agree with you on the offense though.

It's the blow out losses we had in the first 2 years especially against Gtech. That loss started my questioning Bullock, not Shafer. We had other blow out losses as well in the first 2 years.

The problem I've always had with the Shafer/Bullock defense is that against really good QBs we have always gotten picked apart and then followed with a blow out loss. I'm not sure the type of D we play is suited for a P5 conference. When the QBs and OLines in non P5 conferences are typically not as good, that D works. I'm not an expert but this gets pointed out from time to time that our D is suspect.

Given our sh$tshow of an offense and regardless of what you think about our D is with experienced players, you need to score TDs to win. Even the analysis of Clemson in this week's orangezone they talked about how hard it will be because Clemson, let alone they have a great QB, has moved its offense to be more spread like similar to many college teams that are moving to it as it is very difficult to defend against (Dan Conley).

They even referenced our inability to make adjustments at the half which is leading to a shutdown of our offense in the second half (Damien Rhodes). A slight reference was made that we need to spread it out more on offense but I couldn't connect the dots as to what they were really referring to.

I fully expect a blowout this weekend of 50-60 points to our 20 points. Clemson needs to do this to keep their #1 rank - I fully expect them to bring down the hammer on us. It's going to be ugly very early and their is nothing we can do to counter. I hope for the best but plan for the bad.

Heard this from a person who works with a former SU football player that is very close to the program. Not saying it's true but just asking if others have heard the same thing. I would love to see us hire Eddie O for his recruiting ability and what he did at USC.

Eddie O is a grandslam hire. Guy has already admitted what went wrong at ole miss and what went right at USC.

Guy is the best recruiter in the biz, he will go get us a good O-Coordinator. He's been around the block, i have no doubt we'd be in great position if O came back to the Hill.

Color me very excited.

Eddie O is a grandslam hire. Guy has already admitted what went wrong at ole miss and what went right at USC.

Guy is the best recruiter in the biz, he will go get us a good O-Coordinator. He's been around the block, i have no doubt we'd be in great position if O came back to the Hill.

Color me very excited.

You could do a lot worse, there are things with Ed that I would flat out be fired up for, others I would be darn right terrified of, the offense being #1. At this point, What do we have to lose.

Winning is fun winning with a coach like Ed would be a lot of fun because he is such a character. I honestly don't care anymore, just get somebody new in there and give him a shot.

I think we need a big upgrade in mental toughness.. AGAIN.

You could do a lot worse, there are things with Ed that I would flat out be fired up for, others I would be darn right terrified of, the offense being #1. At this point, What do we have to lose.

Winning is fun winning with a coach like Ed would be a lot of fun because he is such a character. I honestly don't care anymore, just get somebody new in there and give him a shot.

I'm good with him if Coyle grills him (ha ha grilling the Rajun Cajun) about what type of O he would run and the type of OCs he would bring in to take advantage of the Dome environment. If Eddie O commits to an O that has elements of the spread, I'll start eating Cajun food again! :mad:

Last edited:
You have it right. There was a lot of early discussion about who Shafer brought it as his assistants. At some of the companies I've worked at I couldn't imagine myself leading a division within these companies. Why - because I simply have no experience in those lines of business. The CEOs running these companies hire very qualified, very experienced divisional leaders. If I were lucky enough to get one of these jobs by default the company's percentage of failure goes way way up. I might OJT it due to my "effort and enthusiasm" to eventually get it to a point to be successful but the chance of failure - and me being out of a job - is high. You just don't do this in business and college football is a business.

Here is where Shafer lost me early on and now 3 years later it shows on the field. OL has regressed along with the entire offensive scheme has been a trial and error sh$tshow first with McD and now Lester. Now that Shafer is HC, the defense has slid downhill as well. It's in turmoil and nothing I've seen tells me it is fixable with the current coaching staff. Even given more time, the percentage of failure is still very very high.

Coaching decisions is where Shafer made "strategic errors". Game time decision making he has made "tactical errors" game after game. If Coyle makes no changes this year with only 1 year left on Shafer's contract, then I will start questioning Coyle. You guys realize Coyle has only been an AD for less than 5 years so to me it will be one of those defining moments of his career.
I totally agree with you. It is a very big moment in Coyle's career.

W Eddie the devil would be in the details of who he brought in w him but i have no doubt there would be some SERIOUS buzz around the program if we brought the rajun cajun to Syracuse.

I would say Coyle isn't targeting anyone (it's a personal foul anyway...drumbeat). I'm sure he has a short list he wants to talk to, and as the process unfolds the list will get longer.

I'd expect a lot of people to be interviewed. Those who make the 2nd round will be interviewed pretty thoroughly.

It's going to follow a process, and someone will impress them with their vision. I just hope some of the names mentioned in this thread (see Babers, Dino), are at least there for the 1st round of interviews.

I think we'll all be comfortable and happy with how it plays out. Unless he hires Edsall, then I'll wonder if he knows what he's doing.

Last edited:
I would say Coyle is targeting anyone (it's a personal foul anyway...drumbeat). I'm sure he has a short list he wants to talk to, and as the process unfolds the list will get longer.

I'd expect a lot of people to be interviewed. Those who make the 2nd round will be interviewed pretty thoroughly.

It's going to follow a process, and someone will impress them with their vision. I just hope some of the names mentioned in this thread (see Babers, Dino), are at least there for the 1st round of interviews.

I think we'll all be comfortable and happy with how it plays out. Unless he hires Edsall, then I'll wonder if he knows what he's doing.

I would rather keep Shafe than hire Edsall.. I am not kidding. Edsall is the worst. He's boring, doesn't win that much and he's a douche on top of that.

He made an inquiry, as I understand things.

I am sure lots of guys are. We just know this one.

He made an inquiry, as I understand things.

I am sure lots of guys are. We just know this one.

He's 16-27 as a HC but was 6-2 at USC and claimed he learned from his days at Ole Miss what works and what doesn't, who knows.

We could finally figure out what are ceiling is for recruiting though in a year or two because he's the best there is. You would see some big lineman in here for sure

Disagree. As a Bills fan, even winning with Rex Ryan is obnoxious and annoying. There's something to be said about being humble and acting like you've been there before. Maybe not a fair comparison but it seems that they are both cut from the same cloth.

We need offense for sure. Somehow someway. D Coaches don't think offense first, they just dont

Seeing as both Coyle and Syverud have no prior attachments to SU I'm not sure the "he's the guy who coached here 18 years ago" angle is going to be particularly resonant with them. I mean I'm sure every alum and booster connected to the program will be recommending old members of the SU family, but not sure that buys those candidates much more of an advantage than maybe getting a courtesy phone call.

Seeing as both Coyle and Syverud have no prior attachments to SU I'm not sure the "he's the guy who coached here 18 years ago" angle is going to be particularly resonant with them. I mean I'm sure every alum and booster connected to the program will be recommending old members of the SU family, but not sure that buys those candidates much more of an advantage than maybe getting a courtesy phone call.
i'm going to assume that this chatter is coming more from the o side than the su side

Wouldn't need to spend money or waste a coaching position to fill it with a big recruiting guy because Ed would be the recruiting guy. Spend the $ and pair him with a good OC and we could have a pretty good team, next year.

I have no solid reason to feel this way, but I do feel Coyle is very savy. I think he knows that if he gets this hire right his stock will soar and the sky is the limit. I think he will be thorough and we will hear all sorts of interesting names.

I have no solid reason to feel this way, but I do feel Coyle is very savy. I think he knows that if he gets this hire right his stock will soar and the sky is the limit. I think he will be thorough and we will hear all sorts of interesting names.

I agree with you and I think it's just the way he handles his business, quiet, professional, understated for the most part. Like those types. Morse substance less flash.

The difference is degree. As I have posted elsewhere, others such as Louisville, Pitt and Wake are younger and less experienced than we are and they have much better metrics. Ours are really horrible. We shouldn't be this bad on offense with only 2 freshman starting.

All this nonsense about 60% of the offense is by freshmen is Lester's choice. He determines who plays. Our stats are so bad (worse than McDonald's), it is hard to imagine them being much worse with Morris and McFarlane for example.

Lester is a D3 coach running a D3 offense in the P5. To me it is that simple. More often than not, the obvious is the correct answer.

Is this for real? It’s very easy to imagine this team would be A LOT worse if Austin Wilson were QB and Morris/McFarlane was the RB and Ishmael was behind Estime or Lewis. It isn’t nonsense and the freshman are playing because they are the better players. .

Can you put up LVille, Pitt’s and Wakes depth charts? They’re less experienced? (and I can’t honestly believe you cite Wake here; what metric is better for them?)