The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread

I've heard straight from the horses mouth that he said we will talk. I stated it on one of the first pages of this thread. Coyle went out of his way LSU game day to say this. One of my sources talks to coach O weekly and I heard it with my own ears as I was in the car when the conversation took place. Doesn't mean he would be the coach Coyle wants but I know Eddy would def be listening if it is entertained in the future.

I agree with you and I think it's just the way he handles his business, quiet, professional, understated for the most part. Like those types. Morse substance less flash.

I agree and frankly I can't see Coyle being a fan of HCSS's style. I am sure he likes his integrity but not his kinda crazy persona. His record doesn't help either of course ;)

I think Ed O should definitely be on the short list. I don't know if he's the ultimate choice, but he has a lot of positives. Plus he coached here before and has credited his stint at Syracuse for reviving his career.

I think Ed O should definitely be on the short list. I don't know if he's the ultimate choice, but he has a lot of positives. Plus he coached here before and has credited his stint at Syracuse for reviving his career.

He is a killer recruiter to say the least and a big personality. He did a better job as an actual coach when he was interim at USC. But that is USC mega talent not SU decent talent. Would be a very intriguing guy for sure

He is a killer recruiter to say the least and a big personality. He did a better job as an actual coach when he was interim at USC. But that is USC mega talent not SU decent talent. Would be a very intriguing guy for sure

He'll bring a buzz with him and he has some serious strengths. The key is really understanding how he's going to deal with his past weaknesses as a HC.

soocher4 said:
I've heard straight from the horses mouth that he said we will talk. I stated it on one of the first pages of this thread. Coyle went out of his way LSU game day to say this. One of my sources talks to coach O weekly and I heard it with my own ears as I was in the car when the conversation took place. Doesn't mean he would be the coach Coyle wants but I know Eddy would def be listening if it is entertained in the future.

Since we were 3-0 and played LSU great, it may not have been in the context of HC. Maybe AHC/DC?

Since we were 3-0 and played LSU great, it may not have been in the context of HC. Maybe AHC/DC?
Could be because he said that they would be in contact that was my initial thought way back when it happened. I'm sure I'll find out if he is contacted if the job opens up. Just thought it was interesting that he went out of his way to talk to him at the time.

I doubt EO would come to Cuse for anything less than a HC position. Unless Coyle is willing to shell out big dollars for an OC and a DC.

I would assume Orgeron would have MUCH better opportunities if he decides to go the DC route. This would be a HC role or nothing. Guy took a year off after USC to reassess. He landed at LSU b/c that's his backyard.

He has to be considering what his final chess moves are at this point since he's 54. If he was to come to Syracuse, put in 3-4 great years and then move onto LSU when Mad Hatter retires, that would work for me. Not sure LSU would hire a 58 year old Orgeron at that point unless he gets SU back in contention for ACC titles.

The Orgeron trade to me makes a ton of sense on many fronts. I just would like to know how much he enjoyed Syracuse during his tenure, would his wife be willing to make the move (i recall him living in an apt at USC), etc.

The Orgeron conversation is actually funny coming from the anti-HCSS contingent. Let me inform you all in case you haven't checked recently but the only HC gig he actually had from the get go was Ole Miss.

During his tenure there he wasn't very successful (understatement) based upon W/L record (the ultimate data point). In fact, he was 10-25 overall and 3-21 in conference (0 bowl games). His first season his offense was 111th out of 117 teams (total offense for those that like that statistic) and 115th in scoring. Their 3-8 record was there worst in 18 years. He followed up that 1st year success with a 4-8 record in year 2 and a 3-9 record in year 3. And of those 10 total wins over 3 years only 2 of them were against teams with winning records (both Memphis).

At least they had the 3-year rule in effect or it could have been much worse for him. Its comical that the anti-HCSS crowd would even discuss him as a candidate based upon all of their current concerns and arguments about this staff. To funny.

Let Eddie O recruit for 2-3 years then fire him for another better HC.

DPCuse said:
I doubt EO would come to Cuse for anything less than a HC position. Unless Coyle is willing to shell out big dollars for an OC and a DC.

That's why I said AHC/DC. At that point in time why would Coyle be talking to him about a HC job?

I am not sold on EO. I want an offensive first HC that will put up an offensive show in the dome. Tired tired tired of defensive first HC's. We never learn from our mistakes. Plenty of offensive coaches on the market to pick from. Take one and get a real college offense in the dome.

You could do a lot worse, there are things with Ed that I would flat out be fired up for, others I would be darn right terrified of, the offense being #1. At this point, What do we have to lose.

Winning is fun winning with a coach like Ed would be a lot of fun because he is such a character. I honestly don't care anymore, just get somebody new in there and give him a shot.

I think we need a big upgrade in mental toughness.. AGAIN.
Don't back down, IB. You were right the first time. "It's not that difficult, don't get cute, hire the best offensive coach you can find hopefully with HC experience."

That's why I said AHC/DC. At that point in time why would Coyle be talking to him about a HC job?

Maybe Coyle was going to give Shafer the season regardless and was already looking for his guy?

The Orgeron conversation is actually funny coming from the anti-HCSS contingent. Let me inform you all in case you haven't checked recently but the only HC gig he actually had from the get go was Ole Miss.

During his tenure there he wasn't very successful (understatement) based upon W/L record (the ultimate data point). In fact, he was 10-25 overall and 3-21 in conference (0 bowl games). His first season his offense was 111th out of 117 teams (total offense for those that like that statistic) and 115th in scoring. Their 3-8 record was there worst in 18 years. He followed up that 1st year success with a 4-8 record in year 2 and a 3-9 record in year 3. And of those 10 total wins over 3 years only 2 of them were against teams with winning records (both Memphis).

At least they had the 3-year rule in effect or it could have been much worse for him. Its comical that the anti-HCSS crowd would even discuss him as a candidate based upon all of their current concerns and arguments about this staff. To funny.

The only HC Gig he had from the start was the Ole Miss gig? You're so knowledgeable. Thanks for informing us ignorant masses...

He also did a very good job as interim HC at USC, taking over after the whole Lane Kiffin firing fiasco and had a very good rapport with the players there. He's coached here before, he's always been a great recruiter, and he has shown he has improved as HC.

Last edited:
tep624 said:
The only HC Gig he had from the start was the Ole Miss gig? You're so knowledgeable. Thanks for informing us ignorant masses...

He has a point. EO doesn't fit what most are looking for. His track record as a HC is bad bad bad.

He has a point. EO doesn't fit what most are looking for. His track record as a HC is bad bad bad.

At USC it wasn't bad bad bad. Point is, EO has shown he has improved, even if it is in a limited sample size. So that's a worse choice than a coach in Shafer who has only regressed? How's that work?

And my comment has more to do with the arrogance and less to do with the message anyway.

Nobody else seemed to talk about this in their joy of considering his hiring. Not one person said he had a worse record than our current coach in his only actual (non-interim) head coaching position. The silence on his prior record was strange. So I did it for them, not everyone. Just wanna make sure the fans have full information before they move forward with their hiring recommendation to Coyle. Seemingly, there are some fans that would be willing to hire a ham sandwich just so they can replace HCSS.

tep624 said:
At USC it wasn't bad bad bad. Point is, EO has shown he has improved, even if it is in a limited sample size. So that's a worse choice than a coach in Shafer who has only regressed? How's that work? And my comment has more to do with the arrogance and less to do with the message anyway.

He was an interim HC at USC for 8 games. He was a HC at Ole Miss for what? 3 years? Horrible record when it was his team and his staff. As to the arrogance, have you seen any of the fire Shafer posts?

Does an AD look for DC's or does he leave that up to the HC? Doesn't seem likely.

Maybe he was just saying hi?

We can't be far off from doing the flight tracker speculation.

At USC it wasn't bad bad bad. Point is, EO has shown he has improved, even if it is in a limited sample size. So that's a worse choice than a coach in Shafer who has only regressed? How's that work?

And my comment has more to do with the arrogance and less to do with the message anyway.

Arrogance is determined by posting facts. Ok.

The message of replacing HCSS for a better coach is morphing into just replace HCSS no matter who is hired and that's a scary message.

He was an interim HC at USC for 8 games. He was a HC at Ole Miss for what? 3 years? Horrible record when it was his team and his staff. As to the arrogance, have you seen any of the fire Shafer posts?

Definitely gives pause but that's a guy you need to bring up for an interview. Same with Kirby Smart, Brett Venables, etc. All the guys at legit operations should be brought in and see if any can generate vision that the AD wants to get behind. Talk to some NFL guys as well. COyle needs to get as much as possible to get it right.

I wouldn't be seduced by awesome MAC results as the only condition to finding the next great HC at Syracuse.

Arrogance is determined by posting facts. Ok.

No arrogance is determined by attitude. The people, myself included, posting about Ed O in the past two pages largely aren't the people calling for Shafer's head with pitchforks and torches. And I would be floored if anyone of us weren't aware of his prior failure at Ole Miss.