The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread

He was an interim HC at USC for 8 games. He was a HC at Ole Miss for what? 3 years? Horrible record when it was his team and his staff. As to the arrogance, have you seen any of the fire Shafer posts?

Have you seen any of the people posting on the past 2 pages about the possibility of EO being a candidate posting those types of fire Shafer posts?

tep624 said:
Have you seen any of the people posting on the past 2 pages about the possibility of EO being a candidate posting those types of fire Shafer posts?

Yes

Ed O was a terrible head coach. He's a defensive minded coach. He is EVERYTHING WE DO NOT WANT!

We play in a Dome. Someone at SU in a decision-maker role has to have the 80 IQ necessary to realize that this could actually be a positive that we can exploit.

:bang:

The Orgeron conversation is actually funny coming from the anti-HCSS contingent. Let me inform you all in case you haven't checked recently but the only HC gig he actually had from the get go was Ole Miss.

During his tenure there he wasn't very successful (understatement) based upon W/L record (the ultimate data point). In fact, he was 10-25 overall and 3-21 in conference (0 bowl games). His first season his offense was 111th out of 117 teams (total offense for those that like that statistic) and 115th in scoring. Their 3-8 record was there worst in 18 years. He followed up that 1st year success with a 4-8 record in year 2 and a 3-9 record in year 3. And of those 10 total wins over 3 years only 2 of them were against teams with winning records (both Memphis).

At least they had the 3-year rule in effect or it could have been much worse for him. Its comical that the anti-HCSS crowd would even discuss him as a candidate based upon all of their current concerns and arguments about this staff. To funny.

So you're saying he would only be a slight upgrade?

Yes

So we can't be pro Orgeron and pro fire Shafer? Got it. That's completely moronic. It's an opinion on both. I'm not saying either opinion is right but I certainly have one. Eddie O should be looked at. I am also pro-wins vs pro-offense. Who cares how we win, let's just figure out how to win first. Everyone is too worked up about the aesthetics and not the results.

I loved the Patriots teams in the mid 2000s who won superbowls and weren't offensive juggernauts. I also love the one last year that was both. Let's get the winning part down first before we nitpick how it looks.

The Orgeron conversation is actually funny coming from the anti-HCSS contingent. Let me inform you all in case you haven't checked recently but the only HC gig he actually had from the get go was Ole Miss.

During his tenure there he wasn't very successful (understatement) based upon W/L record (the ultimate data point). In fact, he was 10-25 overall and 3-21 in conference (0 bowl games). His first season his offense was 111th out of 117 teams (total offense for those that like that statistic) and 115th in scoring. Their 3-8 record was there worst in 18 years. He followed up that 1st year success with a 4-8 record in year 2 and a 3-9 record in year 3. And of those 10 total wins over 3 years only 2 of them were against teams with winning records (both Memphis).

At least they had the 3-year rule in effect or it could have been much worse for him. Its comical that the anti-HCSS crowd would even discuss him as a candidate based upon all of their current concerns and arguments about this staff. To funny.
I am not going to worry about this. I can't imagine him ever actually getting the gig

So we can't be pro Orgeron and pro fire Shafer? Got it. That's completely moronic. It's an opinion on both. I'm not saying either opinion is right but I certainly have one. Eddie O should be looked at. I am also pro-wins vs pro-offense. Who cares how we win, let's just figure out how to win first. Everyone is too worked up about the aesthetics and not the results.

I loved the Patriots teams in the mid 2000s who won superbowls and weren't offensive juggernauts. I also love the one last year that was both. Let's get the winning part down first before we nitpick how it looks.
you can keep pretending like it's aesthetics but i didn't have many takers for my question about non factories with defensive head coaches with good, non-spread, offenses

Definitely gives pause but that's a guy you need to bring up for an interview. Same with Kirby Smart, Brett Venables, etc. Talk to some NFL guys as well.
1440786712-cringe.gif

rrlbees said:
That's why I said AHC/DC. At that point in time why would Coyle be talking to him about a HC job?

Why wouldn't he?

Because we were 3-0 and played LSU tough?

I imagine a guy like Coyle has been around enough to know how quickly things can change, and that the best ADs are the ones always ready for it.

I still don't buy that he sought out Orgeron though. I'd bet it was the other way around. But Coyle would always be willing to have casual conversations if someone expresses interest.

Is this for real? It’s very easy to imagine this team would be A LOT worse if Austin Wilson were QB and Morris/McFarlane was the RB and Ishmael was behind Estime or Lewis. It isn’t nonsense and the freshman are playing because they are the better players. .

Can you put up LVille, Pitt’s and Wakes depth charts? They’re less experienced? (and I can’t honestly believe you cite Wake here; what metric is better for them?)
Depth charts are all over the net. Ourlads.com has all of them.

elimunelson said:
So we can't be pro Orgeron and pro fire Shafer? Got it. That's completely moronic. It's an opinion on both. I'm not saying either opinion is right but I certainly have one. Eddie O should be looked at. I am also pro-wins vs pro-offense. Who cares how we win, let's just figure out how to win first. Everyone is too worked up about the aesthetics and not the results. I loved the Patriots teams in the mid 2000s who won superbowls and weren't offensive juggernauts. I also love the one last year that was both. Let's get the winning part down first before we nitpick how it looks.

You just changed everything I said.

Houston Nutt really ran with it for 2 years.

2003 David Cutcliffe 10–3
2004 David Cutcliffe 4–7
2005 Ed Orgeron 3–8
2006 Ed Orgeron 4–8
2007 Ed Orgeron 3–9
2008 Houston Nutt 9–4
2009 Houston Nutt 9–4
2010 Houston Nutt 4–8
2011 Houston Nutt 2–10

Why wouldn't he?

I imagine a guy like Coyle has been around enough to know how quickly things can change, and that the best ADs are the ones always ready for it.

I still don't buy that he sought out Orgeron though. I'd bet it was the other way around. But Coyle would always be willing to have casual conversations if someone expresses interest.
Why wouldn't he?

You can doubt it all you want but it happened. Coach O had no idea he was the AD until he came up to him. Like I said before who knows if he will even be contacted but it should tell you Coyle is no dummy thinking that Shafer might have been in over his head even at 3-0.

Aside from our candidates what type of waterfall would occur if Nick Saban goes to the Colts? That seems to be picking up a bit of buzz. I wonder what shift occurs with Alabama looking for a coach.

Aside from our candidates what type of waterfall would occur if Nick Saban goes to the Colts? That seems to be picking up a bit of buzz. I wonder what shift occurs with Alabama looking for a coach.
Dabo to Alabama starts swirling. Alabama native, played WR there, started coaching career there

Houston Nutt really ran with it for 2 years.

2003 David Cutcliffe 10–3
2004 David Cutcliffe 4–7
2005 Ed Orgeron 3–8
2006 Ed Orgeron 4–8
2007 Ed Orgeron 3–9
2008 Houston Nutt 9–4
2009 Houston Nutt 9–4
2010 Houston Nutt 4–8
2011 Houston Nutt 2–10

In all seriousness, we should throw $4 million a year at David Cutliffe. The guy is a miracle worker.

I don't see the Eddie O thing to be honest. However, I do know a couple of people out west and evidently the guy was awesome during his stint at USC. Complete 180 from his Ole Miss days. Who knows. There really isn't a lot of use speculating until we actually have an opening on our hands.

Right now this is more like a group of grown men playing make believe.

You can doubt it all you want but it happened. Coach O had no idea he was the AD until he came up to him. Like I said before who knows if he will even be contacted but it should tell you Coyle is no dummy thinking that Shafer might have been in over his head even at 3-0.

I completely agree that Coyle wouldn't have called off any informal conversations or searches at 3-0. If we made it to 6 wins, then probably yes.

And I'm not doubting what you heard or your source. But something seems a little off to me. Not that he'd seek someone out, but that he'd seek Orgeron out. If true, it just means that a very wide net is being cast, which is fine. I just didn't think it would be that wide.

Can't imagine he doesn't hire an offensive guy. We've tried the defensive route twice now and failed. Take after Florida. Spurrier O good, Zook D bad, Urban O good, Mushamp D bad, McElwain O good. The next Florida AD that tries to hire a D HC will be trying to Costanza his way out of a job. We should follow their same trend.

I completely agree that Coyle wouldn't have called off any informal conversations or searches at 3-0. If we made it to 6 wins, then probably yes.

And I'm not doubting what you heard or your source. But something seems a little off to me. Not that he'd seek someone out, but that he'd seek Orgeron out. If true, it just means that a very wide net is being cast, which is fine. I just didn't think it would be that wide.

Can't imagine he doesn't hire an offensive guy. We've tried the defensive route twice now and failed. Take after Florida. Spurrier O good, Zook D bad, Urban O good, Mushamp D bad, McElwain O good. The next Florida AD that tries to hire a D HC will be trying to Costanza his way out of a job. We should follow their same trend.
I agree 100% we shouldn't be targeting a defensive coach if it does indeed happen that Shafer is gone. College football as a whole is offense oriented right now and we would be foolish to go the other direction. We need a scheme that will work with the biggest weakness of SU and that's not being in a fertile recruiting area. We have to be able to do more with less talent which is why we need an exciting offense that will bring some much needed buzz to the program again.

I agree 100% we shouldn't be targeting a defensive coach if it does indeed happen that Shafer is gone. College football as a whole is offense oriented right now and we would be foolish to go the other direction. We need a scheme that will work with the biggest weakness of SU and that's not being in a fertile recruiting area. We have to be able to do more with less talent which is why we need an exciting offense that will bring some much needed buzz to the program again.

Is a new coach just gonna come in here and sprinkle some Dome Fairy Dust and get players to have this exciting offense everyone dreams of.

Is a new coach just gonna come in here and sprinkle some Dome Fairy Dust and get players to have this exciting offense everyone dreams of.

Well if dome fairy dust = hiring the right coaches and coaches with experience and coaches with experience coaching exciting offense... yes.

I don't see the Eddie O thing to be honest. However, I do know a couple of people out west and evidently the guy was awesome during his stint at USC. Complete 180 from his Ole Miss days. Who knows. There really isn't a lot of use speculating until we actually have an opening on our hands.

Right now this is more like a group of grown men playing make believe.

Yep. I know a number of USC alums out here, some that are pretty close to the program. He had a great reputation and it literally was a complete 180 from everything I heard about his tenure at Ole Miss.

Players really bought into his message.

Last edited:
id be snorting some Dome Fairy Dust if both Babers AND Eddie O were the next staff.

season tickets...cha-ching!

You would find something to Bit(H about - that's a certainty.

id be snorting some Dome Fairy Dust if both Babers AND Eddie O were the next staff.

season tickets...cha-ching!

Like I said earlier this week AHC/DC under a high powered offensive guy.