The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread

Heard today from a reliable source that AD Coyle has extended an offer to Orgeron and he is reaching to former SU football coaches to get their input on the current state of the program. Don't shoot the messenger just letting you know what I heard.

BVille44 said:
Heard today from a reliable source that AD Coyle has extended an offer to Orgeron and he is reaching to former SU football coaches to get their input on the current state of the program. Don't shoot the messenger just letting you know what I heard.

How do you extend an offer to someone as HC yet are still reaching out for opinions on the program?

:cool: Interesting.

If that is true we should shoot Coyle.

If that is true we should shoot Coyle.
Damn straight.

You don't offer a currently employed person from another school a job, when you haven't even fired the current coach at your school.

That post is total hogwash.

Damn straight.

You don't offer a currently employed person from another school a job, when you haven't even fired the current coach at your school.

That post is total hogwash.

Well, hypothetically, you could offer the HC job effective after the final game of the season, and then privately inform Shafer that he's a lameduck. That happens in business pretty often.

Well, hypothetically, you could offer the HC job effective after the final game of the season, and then privately inform Shafer that he's a lameduck. That happens in business pretty often.
Bush league move.

Orgeron I know would love to be Cuse's coach...I got that info from a source as close as you can get to it. However, that is as much as I know.

Is he going to hire Deleone again.

Bush league move.
He may simply be extending an offer to Orgeron to gauge his interest before pulling the trigger with Shafer. If Coyle fires Shafer and then cannot get the head coach he wants we will want his head. I think it is a good way to handle this situation.

He may simply be extending an offer to Orgeron to gauge his interest before pulling the trigger with Shafer. If Coyle fires Shafer and then cannot get the head coach he wants we will want his head. I think it is a good way to handle this situation.
If you have decided to replace Shafer there is no need to have someone in the wings. It is in your best interests to see who is out there. With the new dome investment and the ACC the pool of interested coaches is going to be ample, assuming we are willing to pay market value.

Coyle isn't going to can Shafer Sunday or at least not this Sunday.If he does ,you candy goodbye to those committed recruits. Any new guy is going to want HIS assistants which means the guys who brought these players to the point of verbal commits will likely be gone as well.

Ed O is one guy who is capable of not only retaining who he wants to retain in this class but also improve it. The guy can flat out recruit.

Do you know if Coyle has reached out to anyone else? I would imagine he has tried to gauge interest from others...When he was hiring HC for Boise he was quoted saying he was looking for an offensive guy so I would imagine he would follow similar criteria...This just seems odd to extend an offer unless Eddy O was overly impressive or other candidates were not interested or not as impressive? Let's hope Coyle is doing his due diligence and gets the right guy if that is the path he is going down?

* Would Coyle extend an offer to be new DC/Asst Head Coach? While also giving Shafer an extension but with a clause for buyout to be minimal incase changes do not work?

All I know, Eddie O if he is AHC/DC he will bring energy, passion,and some qualified Defensive assistants with him, and a recruiting buzz - he is a name and will create a buzz amongst national pundits.

I speculated a few weeks ago when it first surfaced that he was a candidate for DC, and if it includes recruiting coordinator and assistant HC to get him here, I am all for it ...pay the man, he will bring dividends in recruiting and sound bytes.

Some early indications are that the school is going to spend money this time around, not on advertising in Times Square, not on Olympic Sport coaches, but on coaching staffs for the money makers.

Remember that the SU hoops staff outside Hopkins is most likely modestly paid comparatively speaking, and there will be adjustments to the Olympic Sports staffs as adjustments are made ( they will still be competitive, just not as outlandish ). Money will be made available for the priority - football.

No disrespect, but I do not think Eddie O was or will be extended an offer.

I sense Ed knows how to play the game and has played it...but inbound interest may have mushroomed to a rumor like this.

Not trying to be combative whatsoever. I would be *shocked* by this though.

Coyle hasn't even interviewed anyone as far as we know. Nor has he fired Shafer. Yet. Can't imagine the EO rumor is true. He could certainly be a candidate but Coyle will certainly do his due diligence

All I know, Eddie O if he is AHC/DC he will bring energy, passion,and some qualified Defensive assistants with him, and a recruiting buzz - he is a name and will create a buzz amongst national pundits.

I speculated a few weeks ago when it first surfaced that he was a candidate for DC, and if it includes recruiting coordinator and assistant HC to get him here, I am all for it ...pay the man, he will bring dividends in recruiting and sound bytes.

Some early indications are that the school is going to spend money this time around, not on advertising in Times Square, not on Olympic Sport coaches, but on coaching staffs for the money makers.

Remember that the SU hoops staff outside Hopkins is most likely modestly paid comparatively speaking, and there will be adjustments to the Olympic Sports staffs as adjustments are made ( they will still be competitive, just not as outlandish ). Money will be made available for the priority - football.

This is music to my ears...

I'd like to see Eddy as the recruiting coordinator, defensive coordinator associate heed coach for $750k or something like that...That would be bold move and very impressive imo...

Last edited:
BVille44 said:

I'm not shooting the messenger. But within like a dozen posts we go from someone saying the BOT will be heavily involved in this to Coyle has already made an offer.

I mean, come on.

My uninformed opinion thinks (hopes) Coyle is taking advantage of feelers Ed O's putting out to perform a bit of due diligence with someone who was around when the program was successful.

I can't imagine Ed O coming back as anything less than a HC and I hope (believe) Coyle isn't picking an older D guy to replace his current (younger) defensive HC.

Coach O is certainly an interesting candidate He is obviously a defensive minded coach but he tried to install a USC type offense at MSU. While he failed, it does give some insight as to the type of offense he would probably try to install at SU.
  1. He certainly can recruit with the best of them.
  2. He is an experienced HC at the highest levels - SEC and PAC 12.
  3. He has charisma.
  4. He tried to hire Lane Kitten as OC at MSU
  5. Clay Helton, OC at USC will probably be available.
Makes a great story returning to the school that gave him a second chance under coach PP back in 1995.

While my preference is an offensive minded coach like Dino Babers, I do think Coach O is a major upgrade.