The All Inclusive NY State Recruiting Thread | Syracusefan.com

The All Inclusive NY State Recruiting Thread

CousCuse

Comin in Hot
Barrett is a late bloomer. Had a great senior season on Long Island at Half Hollow Hills East. 6'4 225, very mobile.

Was just offered by West Virginia, who wants him for their bandit position. Really good student (3.5 gpa) who was also just offered by Bucknell and Columbia.

That is at least 3 NYS players from the 2022 class Syracuse is expressing interest in very late in the recruiting cycle. Interesting.
Not to be a pain in your butt Tom, but I was called a troll and talked to like I'm an idiot because I've advocated going after just these type of players in New York. Very encouraged to see the staff is really trying to get these great undeveloped athletes right in our own backyard. Hope they take Barrett, KJ, Zion and more of them.

Not to be a pain in your butt Tom, but I was called a troll and talked to like I'm an idiot because I've advocated going after just these type of players in New York. Very encouraged to see the staff is really trying to get these great undeveloped athletes right in our own backyard. Hope they take Barrett, KJ, Zion and more of them.
I find it interesting seeing some many pop up almost at the same time. Maybe the staff as a group evaluated the players in NYS together recently, maybe took a look at film for 2021 that was only recently made available and decided to pursue a few of these guys?

So far, I think only Jobity has an offer and a visit scheduled. That is where the pavement hits the road...

I find it interesting seeing some many pop up almost at the same time. Maybe the staff as a group evaluated the players in NYS together recently, maybe took a look at film for 2021 that was only recently made available and decided to pursue a few of these guys?

So far, I think only Jobity has an offer and a visit scheduled. That is where the pavement hits the road...
IF they sign these guys, it would send a strong signal to New York football, I think it's smart as it is the only area where syracuse could have an advantage in recruiting. Barrett and KJ both look like great young guys.

Well we have room, I'm perfectly fine seeing some flyer offers on NYS prospects who are athletic freaks with a lot of upside and translate to multiple positions. Late blooming athletes are always welcome in my book.

Better than early blooming top 250 kids as Soph's who are scraping for G5 offers 2 months before signing day. Wrong kind of kid to take a late flyer on.

Well to be fair you were advocating going after underrecruited NYS prospects as some grand strategy to start landing the blue chip 4 star+ NYS recruits with regularity. There's a difference between situationally offering guys like this late that are athletic freaks and offering underrecruited prospects at specific schools in an attempt to make some inroads with future prospects. That is not a good strategy in NYS. This is. Recruit the prospect, not the high school. Recruiting the high school makes sense in places like Miami, for example.

Last edited:

Maybe NYS recruiting was part of Wildhack’s end of year meeting topics?

Maybe NYS recruiting was part of Wildhack’s end of year meeting topics?
yeah-no-nope.gif

Developing relationships with NY Coaches demonstrates a commitment to helping New York football to upgrade. Whatever could be wrong with that?
To me, that helps us get an edge with the states HS coaches and that could mean we get first dibs for many of these quality prospects as opposed to picking them up via the transfer portal like we did with our QB transfer from Michigan. That sounds like a win/win situation for our program and NY High School football!

Developing relationships with NY Coaches demonstrates a commitment to helping New York football to upgrade. Whatever could be wrong with that?
To me, that helps us get an edge with the states HS coaches and that could mean we get first dibs for many of these quality prospects as opposed to picking them up via the transfer portal like we did with our QB transfer from Michigan. That sounds like a win/win situation for our program and NY High School football!
There is a dearth of talent in NYS which doesn’t warrant a wide net approach. There are far too many schools that produce FBS level talent once in a blue moon. The staff simply can’t cover all that ground and maintain all those relationships in this state for the little return it offers while doing the same on a national level in more prosperous recruiting areas.

NYS does not and never has had the affinity to Syracuse where you really could start to play on the state pride angle like some of the large state schools in other states do. Marrone tried that with the whole NY’s school thing and it had marginal success. We’ll retain our share of the best here if we consistently win. We will never “lock down the state”. I hate beating that drum but it’s true. Even when we were a regular top 25 team in the 90’s we were still losing top instate talent to ND and the big 10 with regularity. And that was at our peak in the last 30 years.

Why am I saying this - simply this, the law of diminishing returns is in full play in recruiting NYS and we have to be very careful as to how we use our limited resources.

There is a dearth of talent in NYS which doesn’t warrant a wide net approach. There are far too many schools that produce FBS level talent once in a blue moon. The staff simply can’t cover all that ground and maintain all those relationships in this state for the little return it offers while doing the same on a national level in more prosperous recruiting areas.

NYS does not and never has had the affinity to Syracuse where you really could start to play on the state pride angle like some of the large state schools in other states do. Marrone tried that with the whole NY’s school thing and it had marginal success. We’ll retain our share of the best here if we consistently win. We will never “lock down the state”. I hate beating that drum but it’s true. Even when we were a regular top 25 team in the 90’s we were still losing top instate talent to ND and the big 10 with regularity. And that was at our peak in the last 30 years.

Why am I saying this - simply this, the law of diminishing returns is in full play in recruiting NYS and we have to be very careful as to how we use our limited resources.
You sure have a huge investment in your point of view. JW knows what he is doing.
It seems to trouble you so much when others have a point of view which is different from yours. Why not just chill and enjoy the resurgence of Syracuse football; even though the Cuse athletic administration is going in a direction that doesn’t fit your narrative?

That’s not actually what you were arguing. Everyone on here wants us to grab NYS players that have the potential to contribute. That’s very different from what you wanted, which was to offer NYS players on a large scale and when they don’t pan out in 3 years boot them to the portal.

You sure have a huge investment in your point of view. JW knows what he is doing.
It seems to trouble you so much when others have a point of view which is different from yours. Why not just chill and enjoy the resurgence of Syracuse football; even though the Cuse athletic administration is going in a direction that doesn’t fit your narrative?

How does this have anything to do with what was posted. Holy….

How does this have anything to do with what was posted. Holy….
Ruffle your feathers? I have a right to my point of view just like you! You don’t have to like it.

Ruffle your feathers? I have a right to my point of view just like you! You don’t have to like it.

I actually don’t have feathers. Not sure why you thought I did. Weird.

Lol
Since it’s of vital importance to you have the last word and make it a good one!

I’m just shocked that so many people think that there aren’t any great players from NYS

I think NYS is viewed as this area where there are no good football athletes….

I find that to be funny…suddenly if you’re from NY you’re instantly no good at football…

Chandler Jones and Art Jones come to mind immediately…..they were great and didn’t get recruiting. We took a chance on them and now look at what they became.

I also look at Daquan Jones from Johnson City who went to Penn State. Penn State took a flyer on him and now he’s playing for the Carolina Panthers.

While the ground might not be as fertile as in Florida….there are many players capable of playing D1 FBS football in NYS…they just aren’t as polished coming out of high school as some from Texas and Florida…and they are probably going to have to redshirt for a year and be situational in their second year…but by year 3,4,5…could be some of the best.

Glad to see Syracuse invest in NYS football.

Last edited:

I dont agree at all.
Buffalo which has been a much better program than SU the last 5 years has
40 FORTY NY kids on their team.

I think this is exactly right. You do everything you can to help the coaches/programs in your backyard. You have to cultivate and maintain these relationships. And you have to be honest with those coaches regarding who you think could be a recruit or not. If you have to take a flyer on a kid now and then, make it a NYS kid. NYS programs aren’t going to get better without help. SU has to help. It’s foolish not to.

Last edited:
I dont agree at all.
Buffalo which has been a much better program than SU the last 5 years has
40 FORTY NY kids on their team.
Buffalo is a G5 school in the MAC. Apples and Bananas. Give UB our schedule every year and then get back to me on what their record is.

BC is a better comparison with how they recruit MA.

Last edited:
I’m just shocked that so many people think that there aren’t any great players from NYS

I think NYS is viewed as this area where there are no good football athletes….

I find that to be funny…suddenly if you’re from NY you’re instantly no good at football…

Chandler Jones and Art Jones come to mind immediately…..they were great and didn’t get recruiting. We took a chance on them and now look at what they became.

I also look at Daquan Jones from Johnson City who went to Penn State. Penn State took a flyer on him and now he’s playing for the Carolina Panthers.

While the ground might not be as fertile as in Florida….there are many players capable of playing D1 FBS football in NYS…they just aren’t as polished coming out of high school as some from Texas and Florida…and they are probably going to have to redshirt for a year and be situational in their second year…but by year 3,4,5…could be some of the best.

Glad to see Syracuse invest in NYS football.

I think you’re twisting the argument to some degree. Nobody on here is arguing NY doesn’t produce FB talent. I think mentioning the Jones brothers and Daquan helps make everyone else’s argument. There isn’t enough NY talent each year to even field half a team and be successful. We have a whole thread each year dedicated to the best prospects from the state. Everyone on here wants NYS players to be successful. But that misses the point that everyone is making. NY players are largely not as polished and once polished you don’t know what you’re going to get, it’s far riskier than a kid from Miami who’s playing high level competition year round. The best NY players also tend to go out of state even when SU gives them the full press. Doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try but you have to maximize your time and resources.

Buffalo is a G5 school in the MAC. Apples and Bananas. Give UB our schedule every year and then get back to me on what their record is.

BC is a better comparison with how they recruit MA.
I disagree

I think this is exactly right. You do everything you can to help the coaches/programs in your backyard. You have to cultivate and maintain these relationships. And you have to be honest with those coaches regarding who you think could be a recruit or not. If you have to take a flyer on a kid now and then, make it a NYS kid. NYS programs aren’t going to get better without help. SU has to help. It’s foolish not to.
Well said!

I think you’re twisting the argument to some degree. Nobody on here is arguing NY doesn’t produce FB talent. I think mentioning the Jones brothers and Daquan helps make everyone else’s argument. There isn’t enough NY talent each year to even field half a team and be successful. We have a whole thread each year dedicated to the best prospects from the state. Everyone on here wants NYS players to be successful. But that misses the point that everyone is making. NY players are largely not as polished and once polished you don’t know what you’re going to get, it’s far riskier than a kid from Miami who’s playing high level competition year round. The best NY players also tend to go out of state even when SU gives them the full press. Doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try but you have to maximize your time and resources.

I feel what you’re saying…

What I’m trying to say is…if you have had those and that’s without diving into it and researching…how many others are there that may have been missed?

If Cuse starts fostering a relationship and getting a first crack at them…who knows

I think it’s worth digging and flipping rocks and seeing what you can find….

I think what Syracuse is doing with offering NYS guys such as Jobity and Barrett is solid.

You never know when you find the next Rob Gronkowski or Chandler Jones