The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread... | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread...

In the 77 years of the lambert trophy signifying best team in the east 18 teams have won or shared the trophy. Penn St -28, Army-7, Syracuse, Pitt-6 each, Boston College-5, Navy-4 1/2,Miami, West Virginia- 4 each, Dartmouth, Princeton, Virginia Tech-2 each, Cincinnati, Connecticut, Carnegie Tech, Cornell, Fordham, Louisville -1 each, and finally Yale 1/2. That powerhouse Rutgers has less lambert trophies then Connecticut, and Carnegie Tech. In other words not once in 77 years have they been the best team in the east.

Even Buffalo has won a Lambert Trophy and Buffalo has mostly been bad...even when it was in College Division, I-AA/FCS and Division III.

I had to check again for myself, but Schiano's career record at Rutgers was 68-67. His Big East Conference record was 28-48. That means that FORTY of his wins or roughtly 60% came against non-conference opponents.

And Here are his 40 OOC wins (I've bolded BCS conference opponents and italicized FCS opponents):

Buffalo (4)
Navy (6)
Army (7)
Mich. St.
Kent. St.
Vanderbilt
Villanova
North Carolina
Illinois

Ohio (2)
Howard (2)
Kansas St.
Norfolk St. (2)
Ball St.
Morgan St.
NC St.
Florida Intl. (2)
Maryland
Texas Southern
UCF
NC Central
Iowa St.

It's actually unbelievable when you look at the numbers. 15 wins against FCS opponents and Army, which is basically an FCS team. 14 wins against Navy and MAC opponents. He's a guy with a .500 record with 43% of his wins coming against FCS, MAC, or service academy opponents. And that is the smoke and mirrors that is Rutgers.

And not a single victory during his entire tenure over a traditional power college team - the Texas, USC, Miami, FSU, Ohio St, Notre Dame's of the world. Then again, you have to schedule them to have an opportunity to beat them.:noidea:

Ok so here is Syracuse over the same period:

Auburn
Kansas St. (2)

UCF (3)
ECU
Rhode Island (2)
North Carolina
Toledo (2)
Notre Dame (2)
Buffalo (3)
Cincinnati
Illinois
Miami OH
Wyoming
Northeastern
Northwestern
Maine (2)
Akron (2)
Colgate
Wake Forest
Tulane

We had 30 OOC wins over the same period, and were 53-80 over that stretch. 6 were vs. FCS opponents and we did not lose to any FCS opponents. We did not play the service academies over that period. 8 of our wins came against MAC opponents, exactly the same as Rutgers during that period. If we played 17 games over the same period vs FCS opponents and Army like Rutgers did, I'm pretty confident we would have had at a minimum 10 more wins. That would put us at 63-70 with 23 conference wins during a very down period for the program, versus 68-67 with 28 conference wins during their "power" years. Even taking the results as they are, we still had 1 more win over a BCS level program during that period, including Auburn and 2 over Notre Dame.

I give Schiano a lot of credit, Rutgers was an absolute abomination prior to him arriving. But what I have posted in this thread are the exact reasons why the Syracuse fan base has such a hard time understanding the hype around that program.

And remember this is our performance during one of our lowest periods over the past 50 years vs the Apex of their program.

Preach it

I had to check again for myself, but Schiano's career record at Rutgers was 68-67. His Big East Conference record was 28-48. That means that FORTY of his wins or roughtly 60% came against non-conference opponents.

And Here are his 40 OOC wins (I've bolded BCS conference opponents and italicized FCS opponents):

Buffalo (4)
Navy (6)
Army (7)
Mich. St.
Kent. St.
Vanderbilt
Villanova
North Carolina
Illinois

Ohio (2)
Howard (2)
Kansas St.
Norfolk St. (2)
Ball St.
Morgan St.
NC St.
Florida Intl. (2)
Maryland
Texas Southern
UCF
NC Central
Iowa St.

It's actually unbelievable when you look at the numbers. 15 wins against FCS opponents and Army, which is basically an FCS team. 14 wins against Navy and MAC opponents. He's a guy with a .500 record with 43% of his wins coming against FCS, MAC, or service academy opponents. And that is the smoke and mirrors that is Rutgers.

And not a single victory during his entire tenure over a traditional power college team - the Texas, USC, Miami, FSU, Ohio St, Notre Dame's of the world. Then again, you have to schedule them to have an opportunity to beat them.:noidea:

Ok so here is Syracuse over the same period:

Auburn
Kansas St. (2)

UCF (3)
ECU
Rhode Island (2)
North Carolina
Toledo (2)
Notre Dame (2)
Buffalo (3)
Cincinnati
Illinois
Miami OH
Wyoming
Northeastern
Northwestern
Maine (2)
Akron (2)
Colgate
Wake Forest
Tulane

We had 30 OOC wins over the same period, and were 53-80 over that stretch. 6 were vs. FCS opponents and we did not lose to any FCS opponents. We did not play the service academies over that period. 8 of our wins came against MAC opponents, exactly the same as Rutgers during that period. If we played 17 games over the same period vs FCS opponents and Army like Rutgers did, I'm pretty confident we would have had at a minimum 10 more wins. That would put us at 63-70 with 23 conference wins during a very down period for the program, versus 68-67 with 28 conference wins during their "power" years. Even taking the results as they are, we still had 1 more win over a BCS level program during that period, including Auburn and 2 over Notre Dame.

I give Schiano a lot of credit, Rutgers was an absolute abomination prior to him arriving. But what I have posted in this thread are the exact reasons why the Syracuse fan base has such a hard time understanding the hype around that program.

And remember this is our performance during one of our lowest periods over the past 50 years vs the Apex of their program.

http://mbd.At their request, this n...om this site./mb.aspx?s=183&f=1109&t=12457710

a thread on their biggest wins:

dominated by colgate, princeton, columbia

Truthfully, this could help Rutgers in their Bowl Game. Wait a second, they're Rutgers. Nevermind.

And for 640,000$ more rutgirls could have had a new coach in the big mess. This just proves to show you how cash poor the girls are...u-conn in the AAC can pay more.

• According to a report in USA Today, Flood’s total salary of $860,000 annually ranks No. 74 nationally out of 119 FBS coaches (seven schools did not have a salary listed for their coach) and he will be the lowest-paid coach in the 14-school Big Ten when Rutgers and Maryland join the league next fall.
Among the 10 AAC coaches, Flood’s salary ranks ninth — with the salary of Temple coach Matt Rhule unreported.

the story is only a month old.
http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...floods_salary_would_rank_last_in_big_ten.html

That's where you'd be wrong. I'm talking just 2 years ago which would have gone a long ways toward fixing what happened 10 years ago and 5 years ago, as well as strengthen our team. And no, I'm not going to go into detail but I'm justified in asking if we are going to take NJ seriously.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
Is the disappearance of JerseyOrange related to whatever it is that you are referring to?

Rutgers close to adding Mitch Browning as new offensive line coach

probably going to be living in the newark airport hotel for the next 12 months.

2008: Offensive Coordinator-Syracuse
2009: Graduate Asst with OL help duties at Tennessee
2010-2011: OL Coach at Akron
2012: RB & TE Coach at Div II School
2013: OL Coach at NON-SCHOLARSHIP Pioneer League School (Davidson) who went 0-11 this year

Last edited:

2013: OL Coach at NON-SCHOLARSHIP Pioneer League School (Davidson) who went 0-11 this year
He will make their OL better.

He will make their OL better.

I'm not so sure. While I was impressed with him for making our line functional, that's all he did, went from dysfunction to OMG we can run the ball for more than 2 yards/play. Something's not right with his resume. We got him pretty fresh after a 10 year stint at MN. Given what he's done since his last year here, something's amiss. Perhaps his style's are antiquated, perhaps he has health issues, I don't know. But you don't go from B1G OL coach to Davidson OL coach in 10 years without something breaking in your system/philosophy. Nobody wants this guy anymore, damaged goods.

Wow, Rutgers really must be broke. Good for Mitch though, glad he was able to get a job at the BCS level again. Not sure he will teach them how to block better but he will at least get all those fatties on the RU line in shape.

If they hire Salgado and Spence next, it is really going to be amusing. Bring in Pariani to complete the grand slam!

Wow, Rutgers really must be broke. Good for Mitch though, glad he was able to get a job at the BCS level again. Not sure he will teach them how to block better but he will at least get all those fatties on the RU line in shape.

If they hire Salgado and Spence next, it is really going to be amusing. Bring in Pariani to complete the grand slam!
Already hired and fired Spence-G-Rob for DC?

Rutgers recruiting frequently asked questions: Why is Jonathan Hilliman visiting Boston College?

Rumor that Fuchs is going to decommit from Rutgers. Posters saying he was promised a chance to play basketball before he committed now Flood has changed his mind. He is visiting Indiana (so i guess they need to pull his scholarship?).

‏@McMurphyESPN
Rutgers junior WR Brandon Coleman leaving early for 2014 NFL Draft

you beat me to it. Looks like full meltdown mode going on down there. Amazingly they got a commitment from Marcus Applefield yesterday. If they lose Hillman it will be a stuffshow for them. So much for the state of Rutgers. Although it looks like Flood has backed down from pulling scholarships. He must has realized he isn't Michigan

WHat is this kid thinking? He played himself out of the first round this year. No seperation, can't catch, the kid was awful.
Would you want to spend another year in that offense with Nova? I feel like he had no choice.

My in-laws and I ventured from the NorthEast to spend Thanksgiving in Texas with a (surprisingly) wonderful aTm family.

I almost barfed when, while talking college football, one of my in-laws (a Rutgers grad) said "Outside of the Southern schools, the only real East Coast football teams that ever mattered are Penn State and Rutgers". I couldn't let that slip. I spent the rest of the weekend sharing some (somewhat fun-hearted) facts about Rutgers football.

My two favorites were:

- Rutgers lost the first football game ever played, 100 years before the moon landing (strangely, they still claim a national championship for this year). Since then, they have won five bowl games.

- Rutgers' football wikipedia page (and I swear, you can't make this up) starts off with two paragraphs in a section named "College Football is Born: The First Season (1869)". It is followed up with three paragraphs in a section named "The Remaining Years (1870 - 2011)".

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutgers_Scarlet_Knights_football)

How old is this guy?

Anyone who follows college football at all should know that Rutgers was always a complete joke, until they had a few decent years recently.

And anyone who follows college football at all should be aware of the history that Syracuse, Pitt, WVU, and to a much lesser extent Boston College have. Plus Army.