The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread... | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread...

Dumpster fire.jpg

Shout out to CuseLegacy in the Cordell Hudson recruiting thread for this:

Cordell D. Hudson ‏@BrightFuture_11 25m
Coach got a case of that #itis!! Lol he gone! #Rutgers http://instagram.com/p/h6qOCARJ2Y/

'Gers coaches are now falling asleep during in-home *whoops* official visits. (s/o to OburgCuse for the correction)

Last edited:
I know many people on here don't think of Rutgers as a rival, but I do to an extent. Over the last 6-8 years, they haven't been a complete laughingstock of the past. They've done a great job recruiting, taking many Cuse targets along the way and have won some games. We played some good games against them, and
I'd still like to play them every year. They are a natural rival in terms of location and we often go after the same players. They think they own NYC, and so do we. The fact is neither of us do as that is either PSU or Notre Dame (and neither RU or SU are close).

With all of that being said, I take their inside and out burning meltdown very well. I mean I really like watching their demise. Keep up the great work Rutty.

From the NJ.com article:
Hilliman, a four-star prospect, is the seventh player to de-commit from Rutgers within the current recruiting cycle.

And from the comments of the NJ.com article:
Next to decommit from RU will be the BIG10 Conference. I miss Tim Pernetti and Greg Schiano more than ever.

I know many people on here don't think of Rutgers as a rival, but I do to an extent. Over the last 6-8 years, they haven't been a complete laughingstock of the past. They've done a great job recruiting, taking many Cuse targets along the way and have won some games. We played some good games against them, and
I'd still like to play them every year. They are a natural rival in terms of location and we often go after the same players. They think they own NYC, and so do we. The fact is neither of us do as that is either PSU or Notre Dame (and neither RU or SU are close).

With all of that being said, I take their inside and out burning meltdown very well. I mean I really like watching their demise. Keep up the great work Rutty.

I get your point, Rocco.

But Rutgers lacks the stature to be a Syracuse rival. They have no tradition of success in any sport. Syracuse has plenty in football, basketball and lacrosse. You cannot have the "sick man" of Easton collegiate athletics as your rival. It's demeaning to Syracuse to suggest it.

Their demise? As far as I can tell almost their entire athletic history has been one long "demise". I challenge you to come up with a comparable school with such a paucity of accomplishments. Being mediocre in football since 2006 is the jewel in their crown along with a 1976 Final Four appearance.

I get your point, Rocco.

But Rutgers lacks the stature to be a Syracuse rival. They have no tradition of success in any sport. Syracuse has plenty in football, basketball and lacrosse. You cannot have the "sick man" of Easton collegiate athletics as your rival. It's demeaning to Syracuse to suggest it.

Their demise? As far as I can tell almost their entire athletic history has been one long "demise". I challenge you to come up with a comparable school with such a paucity of accomplishments. Being mediocre in football since 2006 is the jewel in their crown along with a 1976 Final Four appearance.

I don't disagree with you that their "tradition" lacks any ounce of success. In fact, it's laughable; however, they have had some success over the last few years and have undoubtedly beat out Syracuse for some pretty good recruits during that time (besides Ray Rice). Further, Northeast college football over the 15 years hasn't been trail-blazing, so new rivals do form. If this was 1990, Rutgers wasn't even worthy of being called a "fart". Things have changed a little. Like Muggsy Bogues little.

I do not consider PSU a rival anymore as they have simply taken a major leap ahead of us in everything football-related, especially in the Northeast. Most importantly, they don't care about Syracuse football. Ohio St, Michigan, MSU and Nebraska are wayyy more important than us. Would love to battle with them annually, but I don't see that happening besides the games we have set down the road. I am excited that we play BC again, as they are natural geographic rivals, and also fit into the private school mix as well. Pitt is another I love that we play every year - the "lil Steelers" live in a football state with great recruiting beds. Holy Cross - no. Army - no. Colgate - no.

That leaves us with Rutgers, the state university of NJ (I didn't capitalize a few words there for a reason). They lack the culture of the past, they are missing the brand name attractiveness, they are a blazing dumpster fire and they will soon belong as a benign member of the B1G (belly laugh). The issue now is that it will be an ACC vs B1G matchup in NE. Notre Dame vs Penn St would own the ACC vs B1G matchup in NYC markets, but Syracuse versus Rutgers would be second. There is something to be said for that. You cannot deny that.

Honestly, at the end of the day, I would like to get a chance to beat down on Rutty every year. They lack any historic value besides the "first football game ever played" - WGAF though. The old PSU rivalry is a thing of the past; playing in Chestnut Hill will be fun, certainly not exhilarating; the SPitt panthers have been with us for several decades now; and nowadays Colgate plays Bucknell, Albany and Lehigh (What?).

I choose to look at the present from a rivalry perspective and Rutgers is certainly one of ours over the last 10 years or so.

I choose to look at the present from a rivalry perspective and Rutgers is certainly one of ours over the last 10 years or so.

We just disagree.

I'd as soon never play Rutgers in anything.

You seem to be assuming there's some Northeastern regional interest in college footbll. There's a little, but not much. My experience is that Northeasterners focus in on the Nation's big game and the "best" teams without a particular care where they are from. There jsut isn't any regional pride or interest. I can remember visiting the only sports bar in my NJ hometown 18 miles from New Brunswick on a Fall Saturday. There was an "important" Big East game on and a "good" SEC game that afternoon. Every TV in the place was tuned to the SEC game, except for one in a dark corner that was showing the Big East game. And no one was watching that single TV.

So there isn't any struggle in the Northeast being waged by the Big Ten or the AAC of the ACC. If you want to do well in the Northeast, than you have to do well Nationally. You have to become "The Big Game"

Whatever college football interest I have seen in New Jersey has always been in Notre Dame (something you are born into) and Penn State, which has played BIg Games through the years. Normally, New Jerseyans and metropolitan area New Yorkers and even lots of Philadelphians don't even consider most of Pennsylvania as a populated territory. So any interest in PSU isn't becuase they love Pennsylvania or have any Northeast pride. It's because PSU football has been nationally important.

That's why the Big Ten's best move to being a factor in the Northeast was to add Nebraska ... a team Northeasteners recognize as being "A big deal".

Basketball is, and will continue to be, what makes SU a factor in the metro area. SU vs. Duke and SU vs UNC is going to be huge in NJ. Not because there's any regional pride. But becuase its the big game of the day.

Just look at how long this thread is. If you really didn't care about Rutgers as a rival there wouldn't be 250+ responses.

I think Rutgers is showing that it's possible for a "never was" to become a "has been". It's really amazing if you think about it.

Actually when you consider the natural advantages Rutgers has --- State school, large, metropolitan location --- its amazing that they have been so bad for so long in so many sports. You almost have to be trying to be bad to have their long history of sucking at almost everything.

I wouldn't want to be the Big Ten staff guy that built the case for adding Rutgers and presented it to Delaney. As the Big Ten people are observing this dumpster fire, there has to be a "search for the guilty".