The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread... | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread...

Replacing 2/9 assistant coaches isn't exactly cleaning house, especially given that something like 7/9 of them were hired at the last minute.
coaching is like a fraternity. Shaf is likely to hire coaches with whom he worked with before.

Replacing 2/9 assistant coaches isn't exactly cleaning house, especially given that something like 7/9 of them were hired at the last minute.
Let's see--

You posted negatively about the DB coach and the DC. And you were more than lukewarm concerning the OL coach and the OC. That seems like more than 2/9.

Let's see--

You posted negatively about the DB coach and the DC. And you were more than lukewarm concerning the OL coach and the OC. That seems like more than 2/9.
Let's count:
DB = 1
DC = 1
1 + 1 = 2

There are 9 total assistant coaches, so I want to replace 2 of the 9 total coaches. Another way of saying that is that I want to replace 2/9 coaches. Don't let the basic math trip you up. Fractions can be complicated.

EDIT: This post comes off as mean, and I don't want to be mean. It's not so much that I'm lukewarm. I just don't think that we've seen enough of their work to have an opinion one way or the other. For instance, we looked awful at QB for much of this year, but I can't hold that against a QB coach who walked into a tough situation, especially given that he is working with a OC who spent the first half of the year learning on the job. If Hunt consistently looks like a champ next year, I will enthusiastically support the QB coach. Furthermore, given that SU isn't able to recruit MASSIVE O-line men like OSU, we have to cultivate and train our talent. That takes time. So, there is a delay. I thought that our line was pretty decent this year, but I could have been the Oline coach and it could have more or less turned out the same. The real difference will be in a year or two. If we continue to take 2* recruits and turn them into NFL talent (i.e. Justin and Macky), I will enthusiastically support our OL coach. Judging him before he has had 2+ years on the job isn't fair, and it isn't accurate. In summary, as noted in my original post, the jury is still out on the QB coach and the OL coach, and they need at least one more year to prove things one way or the other. *Worst* case scenario, I think that we should replace 2 coaches this year (DC and DB), and 2 coaches next year (QB and OL). *Best* case scenario, we should replace two coaches this year (DC and DB) and keep everyone next year. Either way, we would only be replacing a maximum of two of the nine assistant coaches in a given year.

**The one exception to my don't judge a SU OL coach based on one year is Mitch Browning. The improvement in our OL during the one year that he was OC was amazing. IMHO, he built the foundationfor Atkins.**

P.S. to keep this thread on topic: RUTGERS IS A JOKE!

Last edited:
coaching is like a fraternity. Shaf is likely to hire coaches with whom he worked with before.
It's also a fickle profession. Coaches either have to win, coach for Rutgers, or get tossed. So long as our DB's give up an uncontested 50+ yard TD every big game because they're too busy arguing (off the top of my head, Clemson, NW, FSU, and UMn), our team will have a ceiling.

Also, so long as we have dead weight on our coaching staff, our team will have ceiling. The number of coaching positions is capped, and it's even a squeeze when everyone pulls their weight.

I love HCSS, both as a DC and as a HC, but let's be real. Some of the people that he hired got the job because he was in a hurry and he knew them. I don't blame him for doing what he did. There were no other options, and he made it work, but we are no longer pressed for time, and we are now in a position to be choosy.

I would be shocked if Shafer fired anyone on his staff. Perhaps someone might go to a different school of their own choosing, but I wouldn't bet on that happening this offseason either.

I would be shocked if Shafer fired anyone on his staff. Perhaps someone might go to a different school of their own choosing, but I wouldn't bet on that happening this offseason either.
Maybe, but we were 6 seconds away from being 0-3 against our three rivals (BC, PSU, and Pitt), and 5-7 overall with 4 blowout losses. The last two games have (rightfully so) put a good taste in everyone's mouth, but this season wasn't especially smooth. Look at the old threads.

P.S. I am a HUGE HCSS supporter and think that he has a very bright future with this program. Don't get me wrong. I am not criticizing him in any way.

Maybe, but we were 6 seconds away from being 0-3 against our three rivals (BC, PSU, and Pitt), and 5-7 overall with 4 blowout losses. The last two games have (rightfully so) put a good taste in everyone's mouth, but this season wasn't especially smooth. Look at the old threads.

P.S. I am a HUGE HCSS supporter and think that he has a very bright future with this program. Don't get me wrong. I am not criticizing him in any way.

If you want to go that route, SU was a second or two away from going 2-1 against those same schools. If Chryst called a timeout a second later, SU wins that game. Woulda Coulda Shouldas go both ways.

Shafer would never fire coach Bullough, that isn't going to happen unless Shafer is fired himself. The DB coach actually did a good job, the issue is that this defense is predicated on stopping the run first and our safeties get caught peering into the backfield an awful lot. They are going to give up a bomb every once in a while when we make the wrong defensive call. This will change when Wilkes is gone, he is usually the reason. Look back all year on the "bombs" you will notice that it occurs on the deep side that is Wilkes responsibility.

In the MN game, Reddish was supposed to have over the top middle help...Wilkes blew the coverage like usual. Once Kelly, Desir and Eskridge are the safety rotation net year, this won't happen.

Pardon me, but the HCSS and coaching staff sidebar while a good discussion should constitute its own thread. This thread's focus is on Rutgers and there is plenty of material to discuss in the Rutgers realm. (Climbs off soap box)

My daughter and I were at the mall on Saturday and the Pinstripe Bowl was on the big screens in the food court. Mall management must have known many men would be dragged to the mall, kudos to them for thinking of us! Anywho, we were watching the game while eating and my daughter commented that Rutgers looked bad. Please understand that my daughter dos not fully understand football, though she will watch t with me. I stress this because when a novice can tell you something is bad, it is REALLY BAD! Rutgers was unimpressive.

Sure they got their standard easy OOC to help them skate to a bowl, but they really stunk it up. I can't wait to see what happens to them in the B1G. I just cannot see them winning more than 6-7 games in any season with most seasons being in the 3-5 win range.

RU will no longer be playing FCS teams or Navy (when they join the AAC) so I don't see how their OOC sked will get easier.

RU will no longer be playing FCS teams or Navy (when they join the AAC) so I don't see how their OOC sked will get easier.

And the B1G is moving towards a 9 game conference schedule in 2016.

But the won't always have to play Wiscy from the Western Division, so they got that going for them.

They are probably going to schedule teams like UMass, UB, Army, Florida Atlantic, and Florida International to maintain their recruiting grounds.

But the won't always have to play Wiscy from the Western Division, so they got that going for them.

They get Wiscy in 2014 and 2015, then a 2 year break.
2014: Wisconsin, at Nebraska
2015: Nebraska, at Wisconsin
2016: Illinois, Iowa, at Minnesota
2017: Purdue, at Illinois, at Nebraska.

Rutgers OOC schedule will get easier if possible, it has to if they are to survive.

I think this is virtually impossible to have an easier OOC schedule than Rutgirlz. Their entire OOC schedule for the last 15 years has been horrifically easy.

I think this is virtually impossible to have an easier OOC schedule than Rutgirlz. Their entire OOC schedule for the last 15 years has been horrifically easy.

They had PSU on it so that can be changed.

They are probably going to schedule teams like UMass, UB, Army, Florida Atlantic, and Florida International to maintain their recruiting grounds.
Recruiting and relatively easy games. Probably still not enough to make them winners.

Five of their six wins came against teams with three wins or less

Three of those five could have easily been a loss

They were two minutes away from being 3-9

Beamer did it for a long time and look at his accolades. He can't win a big game and has no offense unless a Vick is running it, but what sports writers have ever taken notice.

Schiano took a page from Beamer and played it well during a perfect storm (UM, BC, VATech leaving while Pitt and Syracuse were on the decline). Change any one of those factors and Schiano could be a lifer coach at Rutgers with an occasional 6 win season or worse.

There is not a team in the B1G that wouldn't beat Rutgers this past season. Going to 9 games is one of the nails in the scarlet casket.

Exactly. They played Howard of DC. That is the absolute bottom of the barrel. Georgetown plays Howard.

Norfolk State was a regular on the schedule.

When they were forces to schedule Fresno State because they couldn't find any really bad schools. Fresno State kicked their ass.

Schiano was all smoke and mirrors and zero accomplishment.

I had predicted that RU would easily go 8-4 this year on their way to a bowl game. The fact that they pulled off a 6-7 record is a credit to their coaching staff.

i want shady to ped state -just because the joisey meltdown would be epic couchburn