The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread... | Page 248 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread...

They cant get out of their own way. There is no reason why Rutgers shouldnt be solid in football and basketball based on their location. I always thought that if they went big on a coach they would do well. Im glad they hired Ash as i was concerned they would hire Joe M from P State who in my opinion would have been a home run for them.
I disagree ... at least to the extent that you're talking about football- they are terrible because of their location. Who wants to watch Rutgers athletics when you can watch NYC pro teams?

Cow colleges are good at football because there is *nothing* else to do, so the students, alumni, and locals care about football. Most of the Rutgers grads that I know don't know what conference Rutgers is in.

I disagree ... at least to the extent that you're talking about football- they are terrible because of their location. Who wants to watch Rutgers athletics when you can watch NYC pro teams?

Cow colleges are good at football because there is *nothing* else to do, so the students, alumni, and locals care about football. Most of the Rutgers grads that I know don't know what conference Rutgers is in.

Are you implying that the Detroit Lions, Cincy Bengals, Cleveland Browns and all the pro football teams in Iowa, Nebraska, Indiana, et al are not as interesting as the Pats, Giants, Jets?, Eagles, Ravens ... never mind, point taken.

You are on the mark, there was NOTHING else in times past and even where they have something now, it generally is not as exciting a product as the college teams. Furthermore, since many people either attended, had family that attended or friends that attended, they are emotionally invested, if not financially, in these schools; whereas cheering on a pro team that is made of overpaid players, overpaid coaches, and team owners with no ties to a locale may be fun, but it certainly lacks the close ties colleges have.

Besides. Rutgers has 150+ years of providing poor sports products, why would anyone invest in them now?

Just read on nj.com today that RU’s football attendance has decreased by 21.5% since joining the Big 10. They are also last in hoops attendance in conference this year by a wide margin at 4,509 attendees a game.
Just read on nj.com today that RU’s football attendance has decreased by 21.5% since joining the Big 10. They are also last in hoops attendance in conference this year by a wide margin at 4,509 attendees a game.
All that tax money for stadium expansion was well worth it.

71435_o_medium.gif

I was on vacation recently and actually saw a guy wearing a Buttgers hat with a Ped State shirt. I didn’t know whether to laugh at him or punch him.
Pity him. If he is wearing either school's gear, he lacks understanding.

I was on vacation recently and actually saw a guy wearing a Buttgers hat with a Ped State shirt. I didn’t know whether to laugh at him or punch him.
Sounds like a prisoner on a chain gang picking up garbage by the side of the road. I see a lot of them wearing RU/PSU gear.

This is a guy who heads directly to the 50% off display at where they have all the T-Shirts they haven't been able to sell for a couple of years.

Now that it has sunk in to the brains of the casual and gullible fans that Rutgers joining the B1G isn't going to make any difference.

And Penn State has lost that squeaky clean aura from the early Paterno days with their generic uniforms.

No one wants to be identified as a chronic loser or the supporter of a school that turned a blind eye to such seamy behavior.

[QUOTE="CuseLegacy, post:Wait...so there aren't any football players here in the states or Canada to recruit?[/QUOTE]
there are players in those places to recruit, just none that want to be recruited by Rutgers

OMG Ash isn't their GRob, he's their Matt Millen! What is he thinking?!?!?! He thinks the Euro boys are ready to play against the likes of FLA, TX, and Cali? Awesome strategy!! No, it deserves it's own word. That's Ashsome!!!

The keystone cop nature of the program has apparently not yet reached the Nordics.

The image in my mind of two R coaches zeroing in on an unsuspecting football playing Swede:

buV18h90HSZ5m.gif